PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dwarf Scout

JohnStone
2015-02-14, 05:20 PM
I am looking to make a dwarf for this PBP game, i need to fill this role:

The Scout
The scout is trained at stealth and infiltration, to an even greater degree than other members of the Dwarven Special Tactics Squad. They are often responsible for both determining information about enemy units, tactics, and positioning. They may also be used to remove high risk targets prior to battle being joined. A scout must be able to function on their own while separated from the main squad

I am thinking a Monk/Soulknife could work, but i am interested to see some other ideas...maybe inquisitor.

Ssalarn
2015-02-14, 05:31 PM
I am looking to make a dwarf for this PBP game, i need to fill this role:

The Scout
The scout is trained at stealth and infiltration, to an even greater degree than other members of the Dwarven Special Tactics Squad. They are often responsible for both determining information about enemy units, tactics, and positioning. They may also be used to remove high risk targets prior to battle being joined. A scout must be able to function on their own while separated from the main squad

I am thinking a Monk/Soulknife could work, but i am interested to see some other ideas...maybe inquisitor.

Liber Influxus from Amora Games (link in my sig) has a class called the Battlelord whose Scout specialty matches what you're looking for perfectly.

The Marksman from Dreamscarred would be a good fit as well, and the Slayer could cover that description.

What else...

The Guru from Dreamscarred has all the necessary pieces, loves the dwarven stat spread, and has the added benefit of being really good at subduing enemies non-lethally so you can take prisoners back for interrogation.

This may sound a little weird, but a bard would be great as well, able to blend a large number of skill points with charm and illusion effects. Just focus on non-vocal performances.

avr
2015-02-14, 07:03 PM
The ranger has an archetype named the Battle Scout who does a lot of this including direct mechanical benefits for the scouting.

An investigator might well fit. Skills and finding out info is their best thing, and with a little prep they could be effective assassins.

A wild shaping druid is in some ways the best scout you could have. Assassination targets will be torn apart by bears one way or another.

All three of these can heal themselves and fight in melee, which is all that D&D provides for 'operating independently'.

deuxhero
2015-02-14, 07:21 PM
Wizard. Invisibility and Silent Table (and a familiar) make you great at stealth and have the intelligence to boost it straight up. "determining information about enemy units, tactics, and positioning" IS divination. They can remove high risk targets easily

But as this is PF and you have DSP stuff, Stalker all the way.

Ssalarn
2015-02-15, 01:39 AM
An investigator might well fit. Skills and finding out info is their best thing, and with a little prep they could be effective assassins.

I always forget about the Investigator, but he'd be really effective at the desired skills.

Deuxhero's joke reminded me that the Alchemist could also easily fill that role, with some additional options for arson thrown in.

Greenish
2015-02-15, 01:53 AM
Hunter gets enough magic to get by without being completely defined by it, and having a pet can be cool.

Ssalarn
2015-02-15, 01:57 AM
Hunter gets enough magic to get by without being completely defined by it, and having a pet can be cool.

Definitely. Hunter has all the tools, and if he grabs a pet that can double as a mount he's even got a ready escape plan.

Feint's End
2015-02-15, 07:01 AM
With DSP in there are multiple ways and most of them won't be first party (well inquisitor is pretty good and investigator is alright too)

Stalker ... solid stealth and very good damage. Also very straight forward

Psychic Warrior ... an assassins path psychic warrior, dex based and with chameleon manifested can look at up to +21 to stealth at first level. you'll also likely deal more damage than the stalker later on but you are more buff dependant

Soulknife ... always decent but nothing special really. They make for better assassins

Cryptic ... They get stealth boni, good skills and are extremely versatile (even more so than the psychic warrior)

Aegis ... can work ... especially if you play a trailblazer ... nothing can stop them from finding their target (well nothing non magical that is ... and tbh you can even get those with the right power stones)

Don't know enough about akashic mysteries but I feel like there is some good scouting potential in there.

Oh and as for the monk Soulknife idea ... don't do it. You might want to go a few levels master of many styles monk for wis to ac and the level two ability but other than that go straight Soulknife and take fighters blade to make up for the lost levels.

The best reason to mix monk and psionics is to mix with dread and pick up broken dreams style (which actually makes melee dreads viable).