PDA

View Full Version : character choise

True believer
2015-02-14, 10:07 PM
Hello wise members :D

So i am going to start playing a new evil campaign as a level 4 character. This is my first evil campaign so i would like to go a little bit out of my comfort zone. I am currently playing dnd for 7 years and the last 3 i am playing a wizard and i LOVE almost all of the spellcasting classes. I have "master" the spellcasting classes so i would like to try something new !!! So far i have played almost all of the casting classes, swordsage, crusader, barbarians, ranger, fighter, duskblade , knight.

I was thinking about something more exotic like an artifisier or factorum but i have read that they are really powerfull from a point on and my table is not very in favor of OP situations so that is something that is keeping me away of this road.

Any suggestions ??? what do you find to be the most fun and easy to be flavored "evil" class ???

Thank you !!!

Izmister
2015-02-14, 10:40 PM
Blackguard,ninja, psion->pyrokineticest.
Not alltogether though.

Greenish
2015-02-15, 08:25 AM
Factotum is pretty cool but not brokenly strong. Artificer has basically infinite potential as long as you (the player) put in the not-insignificant effort.

If you're looking for something new, try meldshaping (Magic of Incarnum) or binding (Tome of Magic).

Hiro Quester
2015-02-15, 11:20 AM
Check out Necropilitan as a template.

And check out taint (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm) as a source of evil power. Tainted sorcerer or tainted scholar for example.

Edit. Sorry, I just reread OP and see that you said you don't want to play a caster. You can be a tainted Warrior too. I don't know how attractive that is as an option, though.

Hiro Quester
2015-02-15, 12:34 PM
Another thought. An evil bard. Seriously.

It's got some casting, but not pure caster. Someone everyone around thinks of as a famous performer, but who behind the scenes is pulling strings and manipulating people to his own purposes.

Bard gets a lot of love from non-core books, making it rather powerful if you take options like DragonFire inspiration. Channel the power of an evil dragon ancestor (pyroclastic has awesome bard flavor; your damage is half sonic half fire). Snowflake wardance can make you very formidable in Melee.

Think of the misuses of charisma and bardic music (fascinate, suggestion). I think there's an ACF that gives you a song that inspires hatred instead of greatness.

Find a way to get intimidate as a class skill.

A fear-stacking bard is pretty easy to pull off, from what I understand. Imperious command. Haunting Melody. Inspire Awe ACF. The fear handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0)is useful here.

Doomspeak is pretty much an awesome ability anyway, and it's possible to flavor it as a curse.

Glibness (+30 to bluff) makes you an able manipulator of peasants. And paladins "That guy over there just insulted your god! Your god would be very disappointed in you if you dd not smite him immediately for that blasphemy". etc.

I think there are some very fun role-playing possibilities there.

Edit: added link to fear handbook.

Urpriest
2015-02-15, 02:30 PM
Factotum is pretty cool but not brokenly strong. Artificer has basically infinite potential as long as you (the player) put in the not-insignificant effort.

If you're looking for something new, try meldshaping (Magic of Incarnum) or binding (Tome of Magic).

Seconding Meldshaper. You can get Zombies at rather low levels, and make a really creepy character since nobody will be familiar with how you're doing what you're doing.