PDA

View Full Version : Looking for City Building games

Ogremindes
2015-02-14, 10:07 PM
I recently had a bug to revisit Simcity, the 2013 game. Left pretty quick, the sodding radioactive meteorites put me off more than anything else. Still, I'd rather like to play a game of the same genre, but I don't really know what's out there and good.

Despite the problems, there's a lot I liked about Simcity 2013. The way it tied everything to the roads felt intuitive, and it didn't really throw in unnecessary busywork. I also enjoyed Tropico 5, apart from when it seemed to straight up lie to me (Democracy is supposed to stop rebel uprisings. Guess what ended my game).

My question for people who are into these sort of games is what's out there and what's good? Bonus points for interesting theming. (Kinda wish Afterlife was on GOG)

007_ctrl_room
2015-02-14, 10:43 PM
have you ever tried Pixel People for iOS? (believe it's on android/google play as well)

I got seriously addicted to it last year, and have contemplated jumping back in because it really is that good. its free to download, and you never really need to spend a dime for any of the add-ons.

Ogremindes
2015-02-15, 05:07 PM
have you ever tried Pixel People for iOS? (believe it's on android/google play as well)

I got seriously addicted to it last year, and have contemplated jumping back in because it really is that good. its free to download, and you never really need to spend a dime for any of the add-ons.

Looks pretty interesting, but locked to portrait :smallfrown:.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2015-02-15, 06:31 PM
The Anno games may work for you, newest is the futuristic Anno 2070 iirc.

GloatingSwine
2015-02-15, 07:01 PM
Anno are pretty good, they're somewhat agent based like Tropico so if you like that you might well like Anno.

You do have to put up with Ubisoft bollocks though, even if you buy it from Steam you need to have and sign into uplay as well because Ubisoft.

Banished, also might be worth a look, it's cheapish and is a bit more on the winter-comes-and-everyone-starves Dwarf Fortress end of city building.

IthilanorStPete
2015-02-15, 07:36 PM
What about SimCity 4? It's a really detailed, enjoyable game that holds up quite well.

factotum
2015-02-16, 04:01 AM
I've not it played it myself, but I've heard that Paradox's new "Cities: Skylines" is supposed to be everything the 2013 Sim City should have been? Might be worth doing some research into it, at the very least.

Ailurus
2015-02-16, 06:55 AM
I've always been partial to Evil Genius. It's not exactly a city building game, but instead you get to build an evil lair on a remote island, working to keep government agents out while you send out your minions to rob the world blind in preparation for enacting an evil plan to Take Over the World! Thematically, its lifted straight out of Hollywood spy movies, including excessively elaborate traps, idiotic minions and crazy (but in a good way) henchmen (including a Russian who loves his missile launcher and a top-hat wearing voodoo priest). I like to think of it as Austin Powers meets Dungeon Keeper.

There are a few potentially frustrating issues with it from time to time (like your idiot minions running the risk of walking into your own traps, and at times it can feel a bit annoying waiting around for money to come in so you can finish building something), but its a fun, thematic game IMO. Available on GoG (http://www.gog.com/game/evil_genius)

Magentawolf
2015-02-16, 11:45 AM
ANNO annoyed me because of the RTS combat component. Otherwise, I think I would've loved it.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2015-02-16, 11:52 AM
I've not it played it myself, but I've heard that Paradox's new "Cities: Skylines" is supposed to be everything the 2013 Sim City should have been? Might be worth doing some research into it, at the very least.

Aye, it looks good judging from the dev diaries.

Grif
2015-02-18, 08:06 AM
ANNO annoyed me because of the RTS combat component. Otherwise, I think I would've loved it.

Isn't that rather optional though? (Well, optional in the sense that you could always just set all the AI to peaceful or non-attacking.)

Magentawolf
2015-02-18, 11:58 AM
Isn't that rather optional though? (Well, optional in the sense that you could always just set all the AI to peaceful or non-attacking.)

Is it? Well, that's actually kind of interesting news! I haven't actually played, just watched a couple of LP's, and figured that was a set part of the game.