PDA

View Full Version : Goliath BloodStorm Blade

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-15, 12:03 AM
So I wanted to create a Goliath Bloodstorm Blade, because tossing around large thrown weapons sounds fun.

But the problem is I dont know what thrown weapons to use.

Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on what feats?

2015-02-15, 12:14 AM
So I wanted to create a Goliath Bloodstorm Blade, because tossing around large thrown weapons sounds fun.

But the problem is I dont know what thrown weapons to use.

Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on what feats?

Being a Bloodstorm Blade means tossing around any weapon you want, including two-handed melee weapons. I suggest you find an awesome weapon and optimize yourself for the act of throwing it; combined with pounce-charging, you can get some ridiculously powerful combos going.

OldTrees1
2015-02-15, 12:15 AM
Bloodstorm Blades use melee weapons not puny thrown weapons. Anyone can throw a throwing axe but Bloodstorm Blades turn Heavy Maces into Boomerangs.

I would pick up "on hit, do X" feats like Knockback(always great on a Goliath) and Knock-down so anyone you hit is slammed prone into a wall.

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-15, 12:20 AM
Knockdown is feat intrusive, I would need Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Knockdown, Plus Point Blank Shot to qualify for Bloodstorm Blade, Id need to hit level 12 by the time to get all that. And by then, id start facing non trip able enemies.

And I was thinking Scythe for my two handed weapon, with Keen, Throwing and Returning.

I know Bloodstorm Blades can throw and return at will, but that eats up their Iron Heart maneuvers.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-15, 12:27 AM
You don't need throwing or returning, you get improved versions of both of those for free with every weapon you hold from Bloodstorm Blade.

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-15, 12:30 AM
You don't need throwing or returning, you get improved versions of both of those for free with every weapon you hold from Bloodstorm Blade.

How far does the bloodstorm blade allow me to throw them?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-15, 12:37 AM
How far does the bloodstorm blade allow me to throw them?

I'm getting the idea that you haven't even read the class, please do so before deciding you want to play one.

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-15, 12:43 AM
I'm getting the idea that you haven't even read the class, please do so before deciding you want to play one.

Bloodstorm blade says it gives you throw anything which makes melee weapons have 10 feet of range.

thats....limited. Is there a way to extend it

OldTrees1
2015-02-15, 01:36 AM
Knockdown is feat intrusive, I would need Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Knockdown, Plus Point Blank Shot to qualify for Bloodstorm Blade, Id need to hit level 12 by the time to get all that. And by then, id start facing non trip able enemies.

And I was thinking Scythe for my two handed weapon, with Keen, Throwing and Returning.

I know Bloodstorm Blades can throw and return at will, but that eats up their Iron Heart maneuvers.

Well 2 levels of Barbarian gives you Improved Trip and lets you skip Combat Expertise. This is in addition to the Mountain Rage(+6 Str, +4 Con, Large Size) and Spirit Lion Totem(Pounce) from 1st level in Barbarian. However if you expect lots of non trip able enemies (no legs I assume since trip is AWESOME vs fliers) then skip the 1 level(since Barbarian 1 is assumed already) + 1 feat cost.

Returning Attacks(1st level) costs maneuvers. But it gets upgraded to Lightning Richochet(4th level) which does not cost maneuvers. The next upgrade is Blade Storm(10th level) but only 1 per round.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-15, 01:40 AM
Bloodstorm blade says it gives you throw anything which makes melee weapons have 10 feet of range.

thats....limited. Is there a way to extend it

The range increment is 10 feet, you can throw a weapon out to five range increments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#rangeIncrement). Far Shot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#farShot) will double your range increment with all thrown weapons, so you have a 20 foot range increment and you can throw it up to 100 feet. Most encounters are well within just one or two of those range increments.

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-15, 04:49 AM
Well 2 levels of Barbarian gives you Improved Trip and lets you skip Combat Expertise. This is in addition to the Mountain Rage(+6 Str, +4 Con, Large Size) and Spirit Lion Totem(Pounce) from 1st level in Barbarian. However if you expect lots of non trip able enemies (no legs I assume since trip is AWESOME vs fliers) then skip the 1 level(since Barbarian 1 is assumed already) + 1 feat cost.

Returning Attacks(1st level) costs maneuvers. But it gets upgraded to Lightning Richochet(4th level) which does not cost maneuvers. The next upgrade is Blade Storm(10th level) but only 1 per round.

I was planning 5 levels of warblade and then taking bloodstorm at level 6, do you think id be ok with 3 warblade/2 barb?

Xerlith
2015-02-15, 05:39 AM
Ranged is feat intensive. If you're not using flaws to take some of the needed feats, you may get more mileage from Barb2/Fighter2/Warblade 1 as your entry - if you're okay with scarcity of maneuvers at your early levels.

Wacky89
2015-02-15, 09:23 AM
if allowed by custom magic item rules you could get a continuous Guided Shot.

Guided Shot grants the following bonuses for your ranged attacks:
Range Increment penalty, however you still have a max range of 5x Range increment
Ignore AC granted by anything less than total cover
Ignore miss chance by anything less than total concealment

Also a few other things:
Far Shot doubles range increment
Gauntlets of Extended Range from MIC (2000gp) doubles your range increment again.
Now you have a Range increment of 40 and can throw out to 200ft with no penalty.

Deophaun
2015-02-15, 02:36 PM
Well 2 levels of Barbarian gives you Improved Trip and lets you skip Combat Expertise. This is in addition to the Mountain Rage(+6 Str, +4 Con, Large Size) and Spirit Lion Totem(Pounce) from 1st level in Barbarian.
I came across someone in recruitment for a PbP that took the Spirit Bear Totem (Improved Grab) instead for a Bloodstorm Blade.

Now you're Scorpion.

Also a few other things:
Gauntlets of Extended Range from MIC (2000gp) doubles your range increment again.
Now you have a Range increment of 40 and can throw out to 200ft with no penalty.
Range increment of 30 with max of 150. D&D multiplication rules.

danzibr
2015-02-15, 03:05 PM
if allowed by custom magic item rules you could get a continuous Guided Shot.

Guided Shot grants the following bonuses for your ranged attacks:
Range Increment penalty, however you still have a max range of 5x Range increment
Ignore AC granted by anything less than total cover
Ignore miss chance by anything less than total concealment

Also a few other things:
Man now I want to play one.

OldTrees1
2015-02-15, 03:18 PM
I was planning 5 levels of warblade and then taking bloodstorm at level 6, do you think id be ok with 3 warblade/2 barb?

Warblades learn 3+1/4+1/5+1/5+2/6+2/6+2/7+2 maneuver+stances and ready 3/3/3/4/4/4/4 maneuvers. Personally I would only look to pick up White Raven Tactics outside of the Iron Heart discipline. WRT would cost 1 maneuver and 1 maneuver/stance. Since 1 stance is reserved for the Iron Heart stance, this would leave 1/2/3/4/5/5/6 fuel known and 1/2/2/3/3/3/3 rounds of fuel readied. Thus 4 levels of Warblade are the most I would want.

Since I would want at most 4 levels of Warblade and I would want a specific 3rd level manuever, I would have a build like:
Barbarian 2 / Warblade 4 / Bloodstorm Blade X if I prioritized WRT over Bloodstorm Blade. Otherwise I could delay that 4th level of Warblade.

So yes, you would be fine with Warblade 3/Barb 2/Bloodstorm Blade 1

Although the optimum amount of Warblade depends on what level range you will be playing at. 4 levels of Warblade are ideal IF you hit Bloodstorm Blade 10 or IF you never reach Bloodstorm Blade 4. If you are going to get to Bloodstorm Blade 4 but not to Bloodstorm Blade 10, then Warblade 2(1 before Bloodstorm Blade and 1 to grab WRT) would be more optimal. So:
Campaign ending before 9th -> Barbarian 2 + Warblade 4 + Bloodstorm Blade 2
Campaign ranging between 9th and 15th -> Barbarian 2 + Warblade 2 + Fighter 2 + Bloodstorm Blade 4 + ??? 5
Campaign ending after 16th -> Barbarian 2 + Warblade 4 + Bloodstorm Blade 10

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-15, 11:01 PM
Warblades learn 3+1/4+1/5+1/5+2/6+2/6+2/7+2 maneuver+stances and ready 3/3/3/4/4/4/4 maneuvers. Personally I would only look to pick up White Raven Tactics outside of the Iron Heart discipline. WRT would cost 1 maneuver and 1 maneuver/stance. Since 1 stance is reserved for the Iron Heart stance, this would leave 1/2/3/4/5/5/6 fuel known and 1/2/2/3/3/3/3 rounds of fuel readied. Thus 4 levels of Warblade are the most I would want.

Since I would want at most 4 levels of Warblade and I would want a specific 3rd level manuever, I would have a build like:
Barbarian 2 / Warblade 4 / Bloodstorm Blade X if I prioritized WRT over Bloodstorm Blade. Otherwise I could delay that 4th level of Warblade.

So yes, you would be fine with Warblade 3/Barb 2/Bloodstorm Blade 1

Although the optimum amount of Warblade depends on what level range you will be playing at. 4 levels of Warblade are ideal IF you hit Bloodstorm Blade 10 or IF you never reach Bloodstorm Blade 4. If you are going to get to Bloodstorm Blade 4 but not to Bloodstorm Blade 10, then Warblade 2(1 before Bloodstorm Blade and 1 to grab WRT) would be more optimal. So:
Campaign ending before 9th -> Barbarian 2 + Warblade 4 + Bloodstorm Blade 2
Campaign ranging between 9th and 15th -> Barbarian 2 + Warblade 2 + Fighter 2 + Bloodstorm Blade 4 + ??? 5
Campaign ending after 16th -> Barbarian 2 + Warblade 4 + Bloodstorm Blade 10

I dont know how long the campaign is supposed to go.

But thanks for the advice.

Thurbane
2015-02-16, 03:23 PM
Greathorn Minotaur hammer is a decent exotic weapon.