PDA

View Full Version : Any other mechanical keyboard fans here?

Nai_Calus
2015-02-15, 01:33 AM
Any other keyboard fans here?

Currently I've got four, though only two fully work:

- WASD Code with Cherry MX Clear switches, with a set of white with blue legend Vortex doubleshot PBT caps
- Monoprice 9433 with Cherry MX Blue Switches. This was my first and my primary keyboard until I got the Code.
- Kinesis Essential with Cherry MX Browns. This one is old and some of the switches seem to have gone bad; needs to have them replaced but I need a soldering iron that isn't horrible and more soldering experience first because the curved PCB is delicate.
- Massdrop Infinity with Gateron Clear switches. Works but I get some chatter and the backslash key doesn't work. This doesn't surprise me, it was soldered during a meetup by several people who had never soldered before, most of the switches by me. XD Need to reflow the solder and add more, some of the solder joints don't seem to have enough.

I'm pondering a Ducky Shine 4 with Cherry MX Greens as my next keyboard. Also lusting after a Korean custom 60% and the keyboard.io keyboard when it comes out. Although there's a hypothetical 60% ortholinear layout I've come up with that I'd love to give a shot if I were good enough at soldering to hand-wire... :P Would need a special plate cut for it though because it's not at all close to standard.

If this post looks like complete and utter gibberish to you, be happy, and run very fast. Keyboards are a terrible addiction.

gomipile
2015-02-15, 01:49 AM
My Windows 7 / Linux box has an IBM Model M made in 1984. I have a Unicomp "Classic 104 White Buckling Spring USB Keyboard" for my Windows 8 work PC, because I needed the Windows keys for that one.

I've been using the Model M the longest of any keyboard I've owned, and it's still my favorite. The Unicomp is damn good, though. I've never used a better keyboard that had Windows keys.

factotum
2015-02-15, 02:41 AM
I'm not a fan myself, because I find it uncomfortable to type on a mechanical keyboard--I realise they're supposed to be better for games, although I've never really understood why; I mean, if non-mechanical keyboards were prone to missing every few button presses I could see it, but they're not!

Alent
2015-02-15, 04:43 AM
I prefer mechanical keyboards because I learned to type on an aging DIN-5 Mechanical Keyboard made before alternative switches exist, and I just missed the feel and sound. It's entirely an arbitrary emotional gratification, I don't see a major advantage to them for gaming since I don't use my keyboard for gaming. (That's what the PS4 controller, floor petals, Speedpad, and bajillion button mouse are for.)

There's just not much like that satisfying tactile and hypnotic clak-clak-clak that comes from getting in the groove while typing a story or code on a mechanical keyboard.

Yora
2015-02-15, 05:38 AM
What is a non-mechanical keyboard?

The Second
2015-02-15, 06:25 AM
All I need is a keyboard with a one inch wide backspace key. I went through two other, pricier, keyboards, including a wireless, that had tiny backspace keys before going back to my tried and true logitech because I kept hitting the '+' whenever I wanted to erase a character.

factotum
2015-02-15, 08:04 AM
What is a non-mechanical keyboard?

In this context, "mechanical" refers specifically to the technology of the switches that register the keystroke. A mechanical keyboard will have separate mechanical switches under every key, whereas a more conventional keyboard might use a membrane or capacitor array in order to detect the keystrokes.

Yora
2015-02-15, 08:12 AM
How does that make a difference?

Siosilvar
2015-02-15, 11:30 AM
I'd love a mechanical keyboard but they're so expensive. ;_;

I suppose it's just as well; I don't really want to know how deep the rabbit hole goes, and my Sun Type 7 is close enough that I can pretend.

Max™
2015-02-15, 11:00 PM
Membrane keyboards are the squishy ones where the keys kinda wobble side to side when depressed, generally they are the cheapo type like the emachines kb I'm using atm until my new one comes in.

Scissor switch keyboards are a type of membrane keyboard with a plastic guide mechanism, generally these can be found in laptops as they need less travel and don't have the same squishy vague feel of a cheap membrane keyboard.

Mechanical switch keyboards come in a range of types, from the old buckling spring IBM boards with their distinct k-CLAK, to the newer varied weight switches like the cherry (insert color here) with customizable weight and even sound to the extent that you can get them quieter but firm, loud and firm, loud and less firm, quieter and less firm, and so forth.

Generally if it is under $20 it will be a squishy membrane, $20 to $40 will probably be a membrane or scissor switch, then it jumps to like $100+ for the mechanical boards, barring unpredictable ebay deals.

I'm upgrading to a kensington k72357us (slim type) from this crap emachines squishboard soon, I like the layout, I like the scissor switch feel, I like the consistently positive feedback it receives, and I like that it fits my budget since most of my computer components cost less than a decent mechanical board.

Flickerdart
2015-02-15, 11:22 PM
How does that make a difference?
Mostly in volume.

Yora
2015-02-16, 04:31 AM
Membrane keyboards are the squishy ones where the keys kinda wobble side to side when depressed, generally they are the cheapo type like the emachines kb I'm using atm until my new one comes in.

Scissor switch keyboards are a type of membrane keyboard with a plastic guide mechanism, generally these can be found in laptops as they need less travel and don't have the same squishy vague feel of a cheap membrane keyboard.

Mechanical switch keyboards come in a range of types, from the old buckling spring IBM boards with their distinct k-CLAK, to the newer varied weight switches like the cherry (insert color here) with customizable weight and even sound to the extent that you can get them quieter but firm, loud and firm, loud and less firm, quieter and less firm, and so forth.

Generally if it is under $20 it will be a squishy membrane, $20 to $40 will probably be a membrane or scissor switch, then it jumps to like $100+ for the mechanical boards, barring unpredictable ebay deals.

I'm upgrading to a kensington k72357us (slim type) from this crap emachines squishboard soon, I like the layout, I like the scissor switch feel, I like the consistently positive feedback it receives, and I like that it fits my budget since most of my computer components cost less than a decent mechanical board.
Oh, so you don't mean "mechanical or normal keyboard", but "normal or rubbish keyboard". :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, big, solid, springy keyboards are the only way to go.

Winter_Wolf
2015-02-17, 11:43 AM
There are people who enjoy the godawful klakity-klack noise? Is it nostalgia for typewriters or something? I'm all for a keyboard that actually registers the keys I'm tapping properly, but tuning components to make more noise? Are these the same people that put whistlers in their car exhausts?

I genuinely want to know.

Gnoman
2015-02-17, 05:22 PM
It's called feedback. A good typist can easily outpace the monitor (this is the voice of experience) on the sort of barely-capable computer used for a lot of clerical and data entry work, and in many such cases you'll also be typing without looking at the monitor in the first place, because you're inputting data from another screen or physical hardcopy. In such cases, being able to both feel (nigh impossible on those flat membrane bits of garbage) and hear the keys is vitally important, as realizing that you only put in ten characters instead of eleven or you didn't hear your tab key click can save you hours of hassle down the line.

thorgrim29
2015-02-18, 08:27 AM
I have the Corsair Vengeance K60. I like it because it's harder to press the wrong key when you're not looking (plus grooves in my WASD keys and a handrest for my left hand) since they keys are raised and have more clearly defined edges. In my experience it types better then a standard keyboard when I get used to it again but it's different enough that the first page or so is riddled with typos because it needs a bit more force.

Yora
2015-02-18, 08:44 AM
I could do without the noise, but the keys having some firm resistance and noticably moving down when you press them is something I very much appreciate. Not sure why exactly, but on notebook keyboards I never hit the keys as precisely and constantly and up hitting multiple keys at once.

factotum
2015-02-18, 11:27 AM
Not sure why exactly, but on notebook keyboards I never hit the keys as precisely and constantly and up hitting multiple keys at once.

That might be more due to notebook keyboards having smaller keys than normal ones? The keyboard I use on my work PC is a Cherry one with very flat keys with little travel, but because it's a full-size keyboard I find typing on it very easy, despite the lack of mechanical-ness.

Gnoman
2015-02-18, 05:26 PM
That might be more due to notebook keyboards having smaller keys than normal ones? The keyboard I use on my work PC is a Cherry one with very flat keys with little travel, but because it's a full-size keyboard I find typing on it very easy, despite the lack of mechanical-ness.

Probably not. Back when I was working data entry, the management insisted on constantly trying to replace the aging keyboards and keypads (which needed replacing, as the keys were literally almost worn through) with identically sized but flat units that they got very cheaply. Everyone's typing speed dropped by 50 to 75 percent, precisely because flat keyboards are horrible for touch-typing.

Max™
2015-02-18, 07:15 PM
Maybe it's just because I spent so long switching from keyboard to keyboard at friends houses/libraries/etc that I never developed much concern for how they feel and just have a visual model in my head of the keys I need to hit.

As for outpacing the computer/monitor, that's old-school as hell, we're talking like 400 mhz processors being bleeding edge old-school here.

Gnoman
2015-02-18, 09:15 PM
As for outpacing the computer/monitor, that's old-school as hell, we're talking like 400 mhz processors being bleeding edge old-school here.

I was doing it on a regular basis less than a year ago. Cheapest-possible computers and modern operating systems lead to rather unusual performance standards.

Alent
2015-02-18, 09:36 PM
I was doing it on a regular basis less than a year ago. Cheapest-possible computers and modern operating systems lead to rather unusual performance standards.

Some Javascript based text editors also laugh at your system specs and act like a 386 no matter what your computer is, to boot.

As to the earlier question about liking the clak noise: I find it very cathartic for reasons I can't explain.

Winter_Wolf
2015-02-18, 11:32 PM
As to the earlier question about liking the clak noise: I find it very cathartic for reasons I can't explain.

Hey fair enough, I can understand that. I got a few things that I can't rightly explain myself. Maybe I just notice the clack clack more because I keep the sound turned off on my computer and seek quiet to the extent that it's possible (not very in an overcrowded house).

Tengu_temp
2015-02-18, 11:43 PM
I reached halfway through the thread before realizing you're not talking about typewriters. I was beginning to wonder how did some people connect a typewriter to their computer, and how can I do it myself.

Oh well, maybe one day. A man can dream.

Max™
2015-02-19, 09:22 PM

Oh, that's lag from the OS then, I was reading it as "actually outpacing the throughput/refresh rates" which isn't the same at all.