PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 5th Level Options? Arcane Caster Type

RaGTiME
2015-02-15, 01:53 AM
My build is
Binder 1/Warmage 3/X 1/Taint Sorcerer 1/Incantatrix

Since I need to hit 5th level in order to qualify for Taint Sorcerer (8 ranks in skills, no reasonable way around this ;~;), and because Warmage 4 and Binder 2 both give me nothing useful, I'm looking for options on what I can do with this empty level. I would like to advance my Warmage casting without just taking Warmage, so if you know of any PrCs that I could qualify for at 4th level with +1 spellcasting, that would be excellent. The build is focused around cooperative metamagic (Incantatrix 2), and doubles as a blaster (sub-optimal, I know), but really anything that adds some class features or flavor would be welcome.

Or, preferably, if you know a way to get extra ranks in a skill (through feats, race, anything), that'd be cool to know as well. I had heard something about a feat in CityScape that was supposed to do it (Favored was mentioned), but when I tracked the book down, none seemed to match.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-15, 02:34 AM
A Bloodline level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm) increases your max skill ranks, caster level, and many other things, without increasing your character level. That means it's not counted when determining how much xp you get per encounter, and it's not even counted when determining how much xp you need to gain your next level. A 1st level character needs to gain 1,000 xp to gain a level, if that level gained is a bloodline level, you're still a 1st level character and only need to gain another 1,000 xp to gain another level.

Troacctid
2015-02-15, 03:51 AM
I would just take Warmage 4. It advances your casting. That's far from a dead level. It is also a +1 BAB level, which is not irrelevant, as you'll likely be making lots of attack rolls. Prestige classes almost never start before level 5, so it's not like you're swimming in alternative options anyway.

I suppose if you're, like, an Aasimar or something, you could go Paragnostic Apostle. Pick up a bonus to the save DCs for your orb spells or whatever. 2 extra skill points. Eh.

Edit: The feat is Primary Contact, BTW.

sideswipe
2015-02-15, 07:29 AM
seconding warmage.

or......

flaw - improved binding
flaw - versatile spellcaster
since you are a warmage you explicitly know your entire spell list from level one, you just don't have the slots available.
pick any metamagic feat as your first/racial bonus/3rd level feat

4 ranks intimidate and knowledge the plains.

boom anima mage. have your cake and eat it too.
you are now a (sort of) level 4 binder and you now have access to 2nd (3rd) level spells.

in fact if you are a human and you took any metamagic (requirement for incantatrix) and iron will (or bought it with the Otyugh Hole) you can probably qualify for incantatrix after your level of anima mage since you now cast 3rd level spells. cutting out tainted sorcerer all together. and giving you the broken high level abilities of the incantatrix (gained about level 7 in my opinion though they are all great) at level 12 rather then before, when you did not even qualify for incantatrix.

it would look,
binder 1/warmage 3/anima mage 1/incantatrax 10/ whatever it doesnt really matter 5

RaGTiME
2015-02-15, 03:43 PM
A Bloodline level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm)

Considered this option, but I don't think the DM is allowing these (or racial paragons). Also, doesn't look like it advances my spellcasting, unfortunately. Thanks for the response, though :)

boom anima mage. have your cake and eat it too.

I only need Binder 1 for the con healing binding (which is a level 1 bind) to pay off the con point cost of using "free" metamagic through Tainted Sorcerer. So while Anima mage is a great suggestion and certainly fits within the OP's criteria, it's unfortunately one of the few PrCs that I've looked at and decided against.

The Flaw thing is a good reminder because...

Edit: The feat is Primary Contact, BTW.

Primary Contact requires 2 feats, and since the build I'm going for is pretty feat-tight (planning on picking up another PrC down the line), I'd need to use a Flaw in order to use Primary Contact (and thus remove the need for the extra level).

If the DM allows a Flaw, I'm golden with Primary Contact. But just in case he doesn't (and for future reference), any other PrCs with early entry would be an excellent thing to hear about.

Thanks a ton to everyone who has contributed so far :)

Flickerdart
2015-02-15, 03:57 PM
This (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?309998-What-Prestige-Classes-can-you-access-before-level-6) should be a useful resource. How does your DM feel about Dragon Magazine or content from specific settings or adventure modules?

RaGTiME
2015-02-15, 04:23 PM
This (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?309998-What-Prestige-Classes-can-you-access-before-level-6) should be a useful resource. How does your DM feel about Dragon Magazine or content from specific settings or adventure modules?

Went through that resource before, it's by no means complete, unfortunately. DM is fine with any official source material, although he reserves veto right to anything he thinks is too silly. Thanks for the response :>