PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.PF] Direct Damage: without veering into TO, what is the best way to accomplish it?

AnonymousPepper
2015-02-15, 01:57 AM
Mailmen Sorc, Magus dropping free Shocking Grasps/Combusts/etc. every round, Binder+Hellfire Warlock abusing Legacy Champion, heavily-cheesed-up Gunslinger...?

If you were tasked with creating the greatest -playable- general-purpose direct damage dealer you could, with night-unlimited cheese allowance, how would you go about it?

Ssalarn
2015-02-15, 02:13 AM
You can crank out ridiculous damage with a Paladin or Cavalier specializing in amplified charge attacks. Stacking multipliers can get you past the 1000 damage point; Paladins need litany of righteousness and can do it sooner, Cavs need their capstone and can't pull it off until 20th.

If there weren't such weird conflicting FAQs on whether or not the Lance is a one-handed or two-handed weapon, I'd say you could surpass either of them with a mounted Spellstriking Magus.

eggynack
2015-02-15, 02:26 AM
Probably just a standard mailman. It does its shtick more consistently than most options, by design, and the damage is sufficient to handle just about any threat. If the full mailman verges into TO, then it's pretty trivial to scale the build down to the optimization level of a given campaign.

deuxhero
2015-02-15, 02:49 AM
For no-cheese but effective straight blasting multiple targets, I'd go Psion or maybe Wilder. I'd go lance charger for highest single target burst damage.

Necroticplague
2015-02-15, 07:09 AM
Dungeoncrasher Fighter with knock-back can get some pretty obscene damage numbers, if you try. Were-sewerm and half-goristro give you good STR, and the Huge size lets you pick up knockback. Then, 2 level dip into totemist for the Girralon Claws binding, plus pick up a feat to become Dragonblooded so you get some more claws. Just smash people against the ground until they're bloody smears.

Lerondiel
2015-02-15, 09:39 AM
Abusing a Warblade/spells/feats/luck rerolls with Avalanche of Blades is always fun for shredding anything with a touch AC in a round but it's a lot of levels waiting for that big moment.

PsyBomb
2015-02-15, 11:40 AM
In 3.5, Mailman is probably the best and leaves a few spell slots open for BFC a (look up the UPS Man for this). Lance charging if you can have a mount or a natural-weapon Totem Rager if not otherwise.

In PF, I'm not as sure. Most of the basic enablers of the Mailman don't exist, Lances are just as strong, and the new best Natural Attacker is about to come out (Daevic of Wrath). Summoner with a Kali Eidolon or a Gundlon build is way up there (Gundolon Synthesist going full-cheese is the highest non-TO DPR build in PF, but requires certain firearms to be available in large numbers and has a bad recharge time on the trick)