PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Paladin Lichdom

Xuldarinar
2015-02-15, 10:40 AM
To become a lich a character must be able to create a phylactery (Craft Wondrous Item and CL 11+) and know the ritual to lichdom that works for them. For any spellcaster, the former part is a simple enough process from the point but a arduous one for the latter. Keeping this in mind, I've noticed a paladin's caster level is calculated as paladin level -3, meaning they can qualify starting at 14th level.

Assuming a paladin does not have to preform any evil acts as part of their ritual nor in the pursuit of said ritual, can they become a lich?
Is there a way for them to retain or regain their abilities upon becoming one?
For what reasons would a paladin ever pursue lichdom, from a fluff and/or crunch standpoint?

hamishspence
2015-02-15, 10:43 AM
If you use the Good Lich rules from Libris Mortis - I can't see any reason why not.

If the paladin reveres an undead nonevil deity like Osiris - they could see achieving (nonevil) undeath as a way of ensuring they can continue to serve their deity for all eternity.

Spore
2015-02-15, 11:00 AM
For what reasons would a paladin ever pursue lichdom, from a fluff and/or crunch standpoint?

My DM has made a (neutral) cleric become a lich in order to perpetually repair the constructs defending the Dwarven city from perpetual undead assaults. From a crunch standpoint: His creations as well as himself are totally immune to any energy drain abilities. But he chose that his cleric has to become evil (so he can even heal himself, I'm unsure if he chose Command Undead also).

I could see a boatload of reasons. But the main reasons are being an eternal guardian and/or defender against undeath.

Xuldarinar
2015-02-15, 11:17 AM
Both of you, thank you for the input, though there is one thing I wish to direct address.

If you use the Good Lich rules from Libris Mortis - I can't see any reason why not.
-Snip-.

Im glad you brought that up. It is an option, the bone knight PrC also being one, but it does bring another question to the table then.

Are there any means that are within pathfinder, be it core or even 3rd party, as opposed to things devised for 3e or 3.5?

hamishspence
2015-02-15, 11:25 AM
As written, the template says "Any evil" - but it also says that there are many rituals - and not that they "require an act of unspeakable evil"

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/lich

A generous DM might allow a character to retain their old alignment.

Or just invoke the Atonement spell and its ability to "Restore alignment" and to "Restore class abilities"

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/atonement

the_david
2015-02-15, 12:04 PM
1. Huh, that's a funny one actually. If a LG paladin would be able to become a lich without performing an evil act, he wouldn't actually be evil, would he? That means it just can't be done.
2. Sure, step into a temple, get killed, raised and atone.
3. I don't know, I'd prefer to actually become a Star Archon/Solar at some point.
4. Anti-paladin lich? Wouldn't be that crazy even. The fallen paladin that is so obsessed with his quest that he doesn't give up no matter what the cost. Huh, I like that. I'd use something simpler though, skeletal champion maybe?

M Placeholder
2015-02-15, 12:30 PM
Is not the Death Knight (and its equivalent in Pathfinder, the graveknight) basically a Paladin Lich?

Thatwarforged
2015-02-15, 01:58 PM
Well this is really up to the GM though it does not say anything about the act of creating the phylactery, a GM might say to create it you must kill a innocent person so that you can remove your soul and put it in an object, like voldermort does in the harry potter books.

M Placeholder
2015-02-16, 03:09 PM
A paladin Lich in Pathfinder is about as likely as a Goblin opening a library, having pet dogs, and owning stables. For a start, becoming a Lich would take years of studing arcane magic, and all that time, he would be ignoring his divine missions. There would simply be not enough time to do both the arcane studies and his work as a paladin.

Then there is his religion, which would probably be against becoming undead. As for duty and after death, he would probably be aware of his fate, or have some idea. In addition, heaven is not exactly welcoming to horrific undead abominations. The choice between becoming an Archon would be a lot more favourable than becoming a lich.

Spore
2015-02-16, 03:17 PM
A paladin Lich in Pathfinder is about as likely as a Goblin opening a library.

My half elf reincarnated as goblin lore oracle would do that...I'm not even jokingm I play that.