PDA

View Full Version : There was a slime on her face.

The Second
2015-02-15, 12:45 PM
While proofreading a section of a story I typed up this morning, I found this little gem: 'She took my hand, there was a faint slime on her lips as she said, "..."'

It's not the only typo I made, but it is the only one that made me laugh. So I wondered, has anyone else found a typo that made you laugh, whether it was your own or someone else's.

tomandtish
2015-02-15, 04:18 PM
Until new software changed how they were requested, it was normal for staff to request shift trades via e-mail. Every so often, someone would leave out an "f".

Altair_the_Vexed
2015-02-25, 07:35 AM
Proofing a bit of technical documentation, I saw that one of my colleagues had written that there was a clearance of 6.4Mm between the electrical terminals - i.e.: 6.4 megametres, not 6.4 millimetres, which is 6.4 MILLION metres, instead of just over 6 thousandths of metre.

So instead of telling me that the distance between the terminals was less than a quarter of an inch, he said that it was about the same as the average radius of the Earth.

Technetium
2015-02-25, 02:58 PM
Several times I've read calm written as clam...

SiuiS
2015-02-25, 03:44 PM
I had an issue where a 4e cleric kept trying to use this power he didn't know was on his sheet, scarred flame.

We would explain he's misreading sacred flame again and that's the same power he used last round and he would zone out again.

Anarion
2015-02-25, 03:56 PM
For various reasons, I consistently mixed up meditation and mediation in all my writing at one point. The fact that Microsoft word doesn't like those terms and will sometimes correct one to the other more frequently used one didn't help at all.

Duck999
2015-02-25, 04:15 PM
Several times I've read calm written as clam...

That happened to one of my friends. They told another friend to "clam down."

And just recently in the FFRP section of this very board, I accidentally wrote claim instead of climb. I must have been tired, but the person I was talking to just mentioned my character's (non existent) "accent."

veti
2015-02-25, 06:19 PM
Happens all the time. This is what people get for relaying on spill chuckers. There are whole websites out there devoted to embarrassing autocorrections.

When it gets embarrassing, is when you find yourself saying these things... As in me to my toddler: "Pull that dinosaur down." The first word should have ended with a 't' rather than 'll'.

SarahV
2015-02-26, 12:58 AM
I have done a lot of proofreading of other people's writing (I work in print publishing) and I have seen quite a few funny ones over the years. My all-time favorite was a non-fiction article someone had written about coming home to their rural house and finding that a large bear had somehow gotten inside while they were out. And for some reason (I'm guessing force of habit) in several places they wrote "beer" instead of "bear." So in the story there is a guy in a complete panic, hiding in his own home, terrified, because "there's a beer in the kitchen" and he has absolutely no idea what to do about it.

bluewind95
2015-02-26, 01:43 AM
I once tried to type, in a group chat, that I lived "under a rock". Except that for some reason, I made the worst typo ever there. The r became a c. And I don't know why. :smalleek:

Anarion
2015-02-26, 03:25 PM
I once tried to type, in a group chat, that I lived "under a rock". Except that for some reason, I made the worst typo ever there. The r became a c. And I don't know why. :smalleek:

Must be quite the large rooster, that.

http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/content/images/worst-typos-fine-cars-1.jpg

I don't know whether to giggle or cringe.

Giggle. Definitely giggle.

Duck999
2015-02-26, 04:37 PM
I once saw a sign labeled "Why spell check is important."
There was a taco bell sign that said "Now hiring all shifts." They left out the f. I wondered if they ever got any applicants.

Scarlet Knight
2015-02-26, 09:25 PM
I once received a request for a "public meeting" but the "L" was left out. I was sooo disappointed.

Gnome Alone
2015-02-26, 09:32 PM
Only tangentially related, but every time I read the word "misled" I always read it as "migh-zulled" and wonder what the butt it's supposed to mean for a second or two.