PDA

View Full Version : Intimidating the dead

Genesic
2015-02-15, 12:59 PM
Can unintelligent undead be intimidated via intimidate skill? I do not believe its mind affecting... but DnD has alot of things hidden away in obscure places...

Thurbane
2015-02-15, 05:31 PM
I think Dread Witch (or the other PrC I always get it confused with) can use fear effects on creatures normally immune?

Deophaun
2015-02-15, 05:53 PM
Undead cannot be intimidated because they are immune to fear, and the intimidate skill says:

A character immune to fear can’t be intimidated, nor can nonintelligent creatures.
Unfortunately, I don't know a way around this.

I think Dread Witch (or the other PrC I always get it confused with) can use fear effects on creatures normally immune?
Only the Dread Witch's spells can bypass fear immunity.

Crake
2015-02-15, 08:09 PM
Undead cannot be intimidated because they are immune to fear, and the intimidate skill says:

Unfortunately, I don't know a way around this.

Only the Dread Witch's spells can bypass fear immunity.

Undead aren't actually immune to fear, they're immune to mind-affecting, of which all fear effects are. Dread witch's ability to bypass fear immunity doesn't apply, because the creature isn't immune to fear, but all mind affecting effects in general. This goes doubly so for mindless undead which are immune both by being undead and being mindless.

Deophaun
2015-02-15, 08:42 PM
Undead aren't actually immune to fear, they're immune to mind-affecting, of which all fear effects are.
Therefor, they are immune to fear.

Dread witch's ability to bypass fear immunity doesn't apply, because the creature isn't immune to fear, but all mind affecting effects in general.
Which makes them immune to fear, thus the Dread Witch's ability applies.

There's no game terminology at play here.

Teh_das
2015-02-15, 08:48 PM
While it doesn't directly solve your problem, Pathfinder has threnodic spell, which let's you affect undead as though they weren't immune to mind affecting spells.