PDA

View Full Version : PVP Arena Help

Belmount
2015-02-15, 01:19 PM
Hey there everybody,
I have always used these forums for ideas for my characters, but I was thrown a curveball this campaign. So this is my first post, please be gentle. So the next DM has crafted a single night campaign. We all start as level 7 human fighters, with nothing but a loincloth. We are then sent into an arena with no escape and it is a last man alive deal. We have 7 players and he will control a few NPC fighters. We have not been given too much information about the scenario, but he has alluded to a pile of weapons in the middle of the arena a.k.a Hunger Games.

We are using most 3.5 books. I have to be a fighter class (No other classes). My best Ability scores that I rolled are 10, 12, 16, 13, 18,13. I have yet to assign them fully as I have not chosen any feats. I am here to ask you all for help so that I can make it out of this arena alive. Can you help me build a fighter that is good at PVP without any weapon proficiency, as I might not get the weapon I want? Thanks in advance.

madtinker
2015-02-15, 01:28 PM
I'm no optimization expert, but I would wager that in this situation the winner will go to the player with the best tactics. If you can figure out what tactics you want and build around them, you'll have a much better chance.

Tohsaka Rin
2015-02-15, 01:42 PM
Improved Unarmed Strike, and Combat Expertise.

Boost your defenses a bit, and try to get the jump on someone. Without IUS, they'll be pretty helpless against you, without any weaponry.

As madtinker said, tactics will probably win you the day.

None of us can really help you, when almost ALL your variables are up in the air, and at the mercy of random chance, and DM actions.

Tryxx
2015-02-15, 01:59 PM
I'd say go for some type of lockdown build that doesn't specifically rely on reach. Either that, or something pretty basic, like Dungeon Crasher Fighter 6/Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian:

Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 10 (Point increase in Dex)

1: Combat Expertise
1: Combat Reflexes
1: Improved Trip
3: Knock-Down
4: Power Attack
6: Improved Bull Rush
6: Shock Trooper

If you're in an actual arena, I say have fun putting people into walls.

bjoern
2015-02-15, 02:10 PM
In a situation like that, I'd take the chicken sheet strategy: there's only one guy you have to beat, the last one.

You need maximum mobility and elusiveness. Defense.

Avoid battles until they kill themselves off. Spend your turns buffing yourself the best you can: acquiring better weapons, items, position.

Use range and superior positioning to plink off survivors.

Dodge, spring attack, fast movement, combat expertise, etc.

That's what I'd go for.

Belmount
2015-02-15, 02:48 PM
You guys a amazing. Purely genius. Tohsaka was right, there are alot of Variables up in the air. I think I will go with the feats Tryxx said as after some research those can stack into an awesome combos and will probably not be a main instigator like Bjoern said and just fight when needed and destroy the last guy. I want to thank you all.

madtinker
2015-02-15, 07:48 PM
In a situation like that, I'd take the chicken sheet strategy: there's only one guy you have to beat, the last one.

What about if everyone else chooses this strategy?

bjoern
2015-02-15, 07:50 PM
What about if everyone else chooses this strategy?

Start making wilderness survival rolls . For starving and such. Lol
Most boring session evar

Tohsaka Rin
2015-02-15, 08:01 PM
If you've never seen the Hunger Games, I'll just say that whoever's running the show tends to throw stuff into the arena to make fights happen by herding the contestants.

Usually stuff like an entire forest fire, or flooding, or wild animals.

...Or mutated monsters and things that're scary as hell.

NOT fighting is NOT going to be an option for long.

bjoern
2015-02-15, 08:13 PM
Just to clear something up: you said fighter 6.
Do you mean 6 levels in the class "fighter" or 6 levels in a non-casting class?