PDA

View Full Version : Archery Seek

Suteinu
2015-02-15, 03:36 PM
A week or two ago on one of these threads there was a question about archery. I think it specifically related to ToB maneuvers with archery. What caught my attention. though, was that someone posted a youtube clip of an archer who has, in the past ten years or so, sought to revolutionize modern archery by implementing what he's learned in ancient texts and artwork. The display of skill was (and I try not to bandy adjectives about recklessly) Utterly Amazing! However, comma, I can't find it now! Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Jormengand
2015-02-15, 04:41 PM
A week or two ago on one of these threads there was a question about archery. I think it specifically related to ToB maneuvers with archery. What caught my attention. though, was that someone posted a youtube clip of an archer who has, in the past ten years or so, sought to revolutionize modern archery by implementing what he's learned in ancient texts and artwork. The display of skill was (and I try not to bandy adjectives about recklessly) Utterly Amazing! However, comma, I can't find it now! Could someone please point me in the right direction?

You're talking about Lars Anderen. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk)

Psyren
2015-02-15, 09:52 PM
To play devil's advocate here, there are other archers refuting his claims, (http://geekdad.com/2015/01/danish-archer/) or at least his method.

I don't have a dog in the fight one way or ther other, though I am a bit biased against Lars due to the legions of rabid fans that have been reposting his video all over facebook and other gaming forums, but more importantly I'm always a fan of a healthy dose of skepticism.

Jormengand
2015-02-16, 10:29 AM
To play devil's advocate here, there are other archers refuting his claims, (http://geekdad.com/2015/01/danish-archer/) or at least his method.

I don't have a dog in the fight one way or ther other, though I am a bit biased against Lars due to the legions of rabid fans that have been reposting his video all over facebook and other gaming forums, but more importantly I'm always a fan of a healthy dose of skepticism.

One of the comments basically sums up my opinion on the whole thing...

"It is really disappointing to see one of our country’s greatest archers come in here to harsh on Lars Anderson.

Not all martial archery is the classic long distance volley archery the Welsh longbow is famous for. Lars is showing what can be done with a very different style of bow, a horse bow. Which you, as a very, very experienced archer know.

Lars can’t do what you do at 90 meters – not even remotely, nor does ever claim that ability. And you can’t do what Lars Anderson can do in terms of speed. Not even remotely.

Why don’t we be fair. You can challenge Anderson to a 70 meter Olympic qualifying round – where you will soundly trounce him by a ridiculous amount. And he can challenge you to close quarters speed shooting. Where he will trounce you by a ridiculous amount.

I really don’t get why you can’t respect him for having the skills he does, ones you lack, nor why you feel a need to denigrate him. Surely your confidence in your own abilities isn’t dependent on belittling others. He has his skills, you have yours.

Also, since you “looked extremely closely” then surely you saw the footage where Lars Anderson easily pierced a riveted chain mail hauberk and a gambeson with his light weight bow. Fact is that chain mail is good at preventing cuts, but lousy at preventing punctures from pointy things, especially bodkin point arrows made just for penetrating chain mail.

For you to bring up your professional authority in your post as why we should believe you and then make counterfactual claims, with added hate, is very, very disappointing and, I think, unprofessional. Calling this man “pathetic” when, in fact, he has world record skills, is something I hope you will retract, as your claim speaks more about you than it does Lars Anderson."

BWR
2015-02-16, 10:45 AM
One of the comments basically sums up my opinion on the whole thing...

"It is really disappointing to see one of our country’s greatest archers come in here to harsh on Lars Anderson.

Not all martial archery is the classic long distance volley archery the Welsh longbow is famous for. Lars is showing what can be done with a very different style of bow, a horse bow. Which you, as a very, very experienced archer know.

Lars can’t do what you do at 90 meters – not even remotely, nor does ever claim that ability. And you can’t do what Lars Anderson can do in terms of speed. Not even remotely.

Why don’t we be fair. You can challenge Anderson to a 70 meter Olympic qualifying round – where you will soundly trounce him by a ridiculous amount. And he can challenge you to close quarters speed shooting. Where he will trounce you by a ridiculous amount.

I really don’t get why you can’t respect him for having the skills he does, ones you lack, nor why you feel a need to denigrate him. Surely your confidence in your own abilities isn’t dependent on belittling others. He has his skills, you have yours.

Also, since you “looked extremely closely” then surely you saw the footage where Lars Anderson easily pierced a riveted chain mail hauberk and a gambeson with his light weight bow. Fact is that chain mail is good at preventing cuts, but lousy at preventing punctures from pointy things, especially bodkin point arrows made just for penetrating chain mail.

For you to bring up your professional authority in your post as why we should believe you and then make counterfactual claims, with added hate, is very, very disappointing and, I think, unprofessional. Calling this man “pathetic” when, in fact, he has world record skills, is something I hope you will retract, as your claim speaks more about you than it does Lars Anderson."

Hmmm. The critiques I've seen have been about his (or at least the narrator's) claims that what he does was somehow unknown before Lars (it wasn't), that this has much by the way of battlefield relevance (doubtful) and that he is (almost) unique in what he does (he isn't).
They pretty much agreed that it was impressive trick shooting (probably more impressive with lots of takes and cuts and editing), but hardly worth the wow-factor it got from the general public and people should be a bit more aware of archery in general before thinking this was truly special.