PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Unusual Lich

Xuldarinar
2015-02-15, 03:51 PM
A subject of discussion and a challenge. I want to see people to come up with the most unusual lich (liches? lichs? what ever..) they can, provided they are something that is actually possible within pathfinder.

A lich need only be a living creature prior to becoming one, have constructed a phylactery (CL 11, and having Craft Wondrous Item), and have performed the ritual (Character specific so we have a lot of freedom here).

the_archduke
2015-02-15, 03:59 PM
Bard Lich.

Lead singer for the Grateful Dead. All he wants to do is play music, tour, and enjoy groupies... forever

Almarck
2015-02-15, 04:09 PM
Bloodrager lich. Most people thought he was crazy when he said he was going to turn himself into an undead monster, he meant it. Unlike many others, he wasn't thinking of doing it just because he wanted to study things. No, he became an immortal just so he could kill and fight all day every day. Get drunk, frenzy, travel the world. And then if anyone gets lucky enough to kill him, he just regenerates and plans for round 2.

After all, the only reason most liches turn into bones is because they neglect life, the bloodrager lich doesn't. (Undead Revisited). Most don't even notice that he's undead, but because he clings onto life despite his undeath, he doesn't degrade and rot.

Other bonus points

He gets to exploit his armor bonus for being an undead mage to its greatest degree (15/magic and bludgeoning and 5 natural armor valuable for a close combatant).

Bonus points, he was descended from a dragon, so technically, he's also a Ravager.

He's the least likely candidate for a lich you could conceive of being a low caster and he's actually quite effective.

Spore
2015-02-15, 04:10 PM
Bladebound Hexcrafter Magus with his Blackblade phylactery. Bonus points for the blackblade exerting its will over the now hollow and obedient body.

Xuldarinar
2015-02-15, 04:26 PM
Interesting ones thus far. Going a different route, how about a ghoran (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/ghoran-19-rp) lich. I think it speaks for itself why it would be unusual.

Hazrond
2015-02-15, 04:36 PM
Interesting ones thus far. Going a different route, how about a ghoran (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/ghoran-19-rp) lich. I think it speaks for itself why it would be unusual.

i just realized, that thing could be horrifying, it can replicate by expelling its seed and when it is killed it is simply revived by the Phylactery

Zaq
2015-02-15, 04:39 PM
Going by the requirements in the OP (and not the broader requirements of being a true spellcaster), any supernatural ability can be used to qualify for Craft Wondrous Item, since any supernatural ability that doesn't specify a caster level has a caster level of your HD. Since making a phylactery doesn't require specific spells, you can have silly stuff like a Monk with Invisible Fist taking Craft Wondrous Item and making a phylactery. I actually did that in an Iron Chef not too long ago (using Invisible Fist to qualify for Craft Wondrous, that is, not actually making a phylactery).

Of course, I'm going by the 3.5 rules. I don't know if it's different in Pathfinder.

Xuldarinar
2015-02-15, 04:47 PM
i just realized, that thing could be horrifying, it can replicate by expelling its seed and when it is killed it is simply revived by the Phylactery

Rinse and repeat. In theory... eventually you could have a legion of spellcasters that look something like humanoid dried fruit, all being one person.

1 lich. Plants a seed, dies 2d6 days later leaving behind a copy of itself. Reforms 1d10 days later. Cycle length: 3-22 days. Lich total 2

2 liches. Plant seeds. They die 2d6 days later (independently), leaving behind a copy of themselves. They reform 1d10 days later (independently) at the phylactery. Time passed: 6-44 days. Lich total: 4.

4 becomes 8 after 9-66 days. 8 becomes 16 after 12-88 days. So on and so forth. Kill one, it reforms at the phylactery. If it is weaker when you fight it, it may have already used Ghorus Seed.
In a year's time, provided the lich continues to replicate as soon as they can, you could have anywhere from 32,768 to, unless I am mistaken, a number with 37 digits.
edit:

Going by the requirements in the OP (and not the broader requirements of being a true spellcaster), any supernatural ability can be used to qualify for Craft Wondrous Item, since any supernatural ability that doesn't specify a caster level has a caster level of your HD. Since making a phylactery doesn't require specific spells, you can have silly stuff like a Monk with Invisible Fist taking Craft Wondrous Item and making a phylactery. I actually did that in an Iron Chef not too long ago (using Invisible Fist to qualify for Craft Wondrous, that is, not actually making a phylactery).

Of course, I'm going by the 3.5 rules. I don't know if it's different in Pathfinder.

The requirements in the OP are pretty much it. So, I think that could work. Thank you.

Hazrond
2015-02-15, 05:09 PM
Rinse and repeat. In theory... eventually you could have a legion of spellcasters that look something like humanoid dried fruit, all being one person.

1 lich. Plants a seed, dies 2d6 days later leaving behind a copy of itself. Reforms 1d10 days later. Cycle length: 3-22 days. Lich total 2

2 liches. Plant seeds. They die 2d6 days later (independently), leaving behind a copy of themselves. They reform 1d10 days later (independently) at the phylactery. Time passed: 6-44 days. Lich total: 4.

4 becomes 8 after 9-66 days. 8 becomes 16 after 12-88 days. So on and so forth. Kill one, it reforms at the phylactery. If it is weaker when you fight it, it may have already used Ghorus Seed.
Of course, this also turns the Phylactery into an epic plot device, it gives a legitimate reason for why when you destroy the phylactery the army slowly gets overwhelmed, its because when they die they dont regenerate, this could be even crazier using the monk trick mentioned earlier in the thread, it would be an ever-regenerating army of undead plant-monks

Edit: Wait, theyy dont even need that, they have a racial spell-like with a CL of their levvel, so they could theoretically take ANY class and turn into an ever-regenerating apocalypse

Xuldarinar
2015-02-15, 05:15 PM
Of course, this also turns the Phylactery into an epic plot device, it gives a legitimate reason for why when you destroy the phylactery the army slowly gets overwhelmed, its because when they die they dont regenerate, this could be even crazier using the monk trick mentioned earlier in the thread, it would be an ever-regenerating army of undead plant-monks

Edit: Wait, theyy dont even need that, they have a racial spell-like with a CL of their levvel, so they could theoretically take ANY class and turn into an ever-regenerating apocalypse

Speaking of monks, I just remembered. One doesn't need a trick in pathfinder, if they do not mind 3rd party content, to become a monk lich. The Air Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/super-genius-games---monk-archetypes/air-master) archetype gives spellcasting.

edit: So, have we found the perfect lich race?

Hazrond
2015-02-15, 05:22 PM
Speaking of monks, I just remembered. One doesn't need a trick in pathfinder, if they do not mind 3rd party content, to become a monk lich. The Air Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/super-genius-games---monk-archetypes/air-master) archetype gives spellcasting.

edit: So, have we found the perfect lich race?

yes, yes we have, if i ever die in a game past 12th level i am going to make a Ghoran lich with brawler levels, or maybye warpriest

meemaas
2015-02-15, 05:48 PM
Don't forget you can use the master craftsman feat to qualify for craft wondrous item as a non caster.

Thatwarforged
2015-02-15, 06:44 PM
To craft a phylactery you need to specifically be able to cast spells and have caster level 11. So I don't think the spell like ability meets that (though it does technically meet the CL requirements). Just remember you need to at least pick up one level of a class which grants spells.

atemu1234
2015-02-15, 07:09 PM

Well, time to get the Blessed Agent Orange.