PDA

View Full Version : I made a powerpoint presentation to teach my newbies how to make characters!

Tasvel
2015-02-15, 07:04 PM
Most have never played before, and none have ever played 5e.

I thought it would be easier to get them excited about the classes if I could find pictures that tie the classes to people that we all know from our mutual tv show/movie interests.

Keep in mind, this is designed to be a back drop that you stand in front of while you explain things/answer questions.

If you have any advice for modifications, please let me know!

http://imgur.com/a/EJMjz

http://speedy.sh/vU34Q/Making-a-D-D-Character.pptx

EDIT 1:
Here's the file with all the improvements you guys wanted. Seems good enough to use, now.

Changes: I went with Hermione and Gandalf for the wizard pictures, both with books. I also changed the wording on clerics, rangers, and barbarians. I tried, really tried, to include quotes from all the pictures. It ruined the effect, though.

http://speedy.sh/CrT3g/Making-a-D-D-Character.pptx

heavyfuel
2015-02-15, 07:16 PM
[...] jack of all trades and a master of none.

Ha!

Somebody didn't play the 5e Bard yet...

Seriously though, the Bard should read: Most versatile class in the entire game. A jack of all trades, and a master of all said trades. Can cast spells better than any other class, and unlike other Arcane casters, has access to healing spells, and any other spells (Arcane or Divine) he chooses.

Tasvel
2015-02-15, 07:21 PM
Ha!

Somebody didn't play the 5e Bard yet...

Seriously though, the Bard should read: Most versatile class in the entire game. A jack of all trades, and a master of all said trades. Can cast spells better than any other class, and unlike other Arcane casters, has access to healing spells, and any other spells (Arcane or Divine) he chooses.

I've got a bard in my group, I know. When optimized, they definitely do this. They guy in my group is inexperienced, though, and showed me that when played by a beginner they really do fill that role (I'm the only experienced player in that group, so I'm measuring him against everyone else).

However, you are right. I just didn't want to introduce them to the idea of a true do-it-all class in the fourth slide.

goto124
2015-02-15, 08:16 PM
I looked at your slides just to see the images. I like them.

Tasvel
2015-02-15, 08:17 PM
I looked at your slides just to see the images. I like them.

I'm most proud of the Chaucer as a Bard, Elsa as a Sorcerer, and Cartman as a Warlock. Took me most of a 6 hour flight to think of them.

Shining Wrath
2015-02-16, 02:54 PM
The utility of this to other people would increase if you got rid of the f-bomb; specifically, I can't show this to my 7 year old daughter :-)

Aside from that, I think you should mention the different types of bard and that the Lore Bard is immensely versatile; also, not all clerics get heavy armor, and some do get martial weapons. Clerics are almost worth two slides. Wizards you might just say "specializes in different schools of magic, with different benefits for each" rather than listing the schools. Wizards are another class too complicated to do justice on one slide.

You did well on Paladins and Sorcerers. Yes, Elsa is a sorceress, and she's bringing the 9th circle spells.

Tasvel
2015-02-16, 05:28 PM
The utility of this to other people would increase if you got rid of the f-bomb; specifically, I can't show this to my 7 year old daughter :-)

Aside from that, I think you should mention the different types of bard and that the Lore Bard is immensely versatile; also, not all clerics get heavy armor, and some do get martial weapons. Clerics are almost worth two slides. Wizards you might just say "specializes in different schools of magic, with different benefits for each" rather than listing the schools. Wizards are another class too complicated to do justice on one slide.

I addressed bards somewhat above, but your other suggestions are ones that I agree with. I've a lot of suggestions for modifications from reddit, and I'll be posing an updated version later tonight.

As for using curse words, that's something that tailors it to my target audience: army guys that just got back from Afghanistan who curse a lot. I included the .ppt itself so that y'all can modify it as necessary for your own target audience.

Shining Wrath
2015-02-16, 06:28 PM
I addressed bards somewhat above, but your other suggestions are ones that I agree with. I've a lot of suggestions for modifications from reddit, and I'll be posing an updated version later tonight.

As for using curse words, that's something that tailors it to my target audience: army guys that just got back from Afghanistan who curse a lot. I included the .ppt itself so that y'all can modify it as necessary for your own target audience.

You tailor this for Army guys just back from combat and have only one F-bomb?

My dad was a schoolteacher; before that, career Navy. Mostly he spoke like an educated man but when provoked he could remove paint from a Buick at 50 meters.

Tasvel
2015-02-16, 06:46 PM
You tailor this for Army guys just back from combat and have only one F-bomb?

There are actually several curse words in there. I just got back, too, so I figure that I can't get more genuine than just making it without trying to filter myself.

Human Paragon 3
2015-02-16, 08:54 PM
Nitpick: Going into a rage doesn't make you more vulnerable, it gives you resistance to damage.

You're thinking of reckless attack, which gives opponents advantage on attacks against you.

Nice slides.

Tasvel
2015-02-16, 08:57 PM
Nitpick: Going into a rage doesn't make you more vulnerable, it gives you resistance to damage.

You're thinking of reckless attack, which gives opponents advantage on attacks against you.

Agreed. The updated slides reflect this. I went too far in trying to highlight the risk/reward gameplay of the Barbarian.

Demonslayer666
2015-02-17, 01:27 PM
I would add in that clerics and fighters know how to use armor, like you mentioned in the paladin summary.

Joe the Rat
2015-02-17, 02:52 PM
Nicely done. I appreciate how while the rest are nice and concise, the Wizard slide is a wall of text. If you can read the whole slide without your eyes glazing over, you may have what it takes to play a Wizard. :smallbiggrin:

My dad was a schoolteacher; before that, career Navy. Mostly he spoke like an educated man but when provoked he could remove paint from a Buick at 50 meters.The other way to interpret Vicious Mockery. Constructs are not immune to psychic damage...

Shining Wrath
2015-02-17, 04:10 PM
Nicely done. I appreciate how while the rest are nice and concise, the Wizard slide is a wall of text. If you can read the whole slide without your eyes glazing over, you may have what it takes to play a Wizard. :smallbiggrin:

The other way to interpret Vicious Mockery. Constructs are not immune to psychic damage...

I say "Paint from a Buick", you say "Armor from a Warforged" ... :smalltongue:

jkat718
2015-02-17, 11:44 PM

The other way to interpret Vicious Mockery. Constructs are not immune to psychic damage...

I say "Paint from a Buick", you say "Armor from a Warforged" ... :smalltongue:

Damn, now all I can think of is Optimus Prime as an Iron Golem.

Tasvel
2015-02-18, 12:20 PM
I would add in that clerics and fighters know how to use armor, like you mentioned in the paladin summary.

I mentioned it in the cleric section, but you're right - I should mention it in the fighter section as well. I would think that would be self-explanatory, but then my frame of reference isn't exactly correct for judging what would be self-evident and what wouldn't be.

ChrissP
2016-04-05, 02:25 AM
{Scrubbed}