PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fortuitous Weapon Enhancement - possible cheese?

Ryulin18
2015-02-15, 07:41 PM
I've been looking over weapons and might have found a sync ability between swashbuckler's "Parry and Riposte" (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/swashbuckler#TOC-Deeds) and the "Fortuitous" (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/fortuitous) Enhancement

If the parry counts as an expended attack of opportunity, does the following attack count as an AoO?

If so, the Swashbuckler can make a 2nd AoO to really ramp up the damage!

Thoughts?

Kudaku
2015-02-15, 07:54 PM
Opportune Parry and Riposte (Ex) : At 1st level, when an opponent makes a melee attack against the swashbuckler, she can spend 1 panache point and expend a use of an attack of opportunity to attempt to parry that attack. The swashbuckler makes an attack roll as if she were making an attack of opportunity; for each size category the attacking creature is larger than the swashbuckler, the swashbuckler takes a –2 penalty on this roll. If her result is greater than the attacking creature's result, the creature's attack automatically misses. The swashbuckler must declare the use of this ability after the creature's attack is announced, but before its attack roll is made. Upon performing a successful parry and if she has at least 1 panache point, the swashbuckler can as an immediate action make an attack against the creature whose attack she parried, provided that creature is within her reach.

It's called out as an attack rather than an attack of opportunity and the attack requires an action investment not needed for AoOs. I see what you're getting at, but I wouldn't let it slide in my home games.

Greenish
2015-02-15, 07:57 PM
Fortuitous requires you to hit with an AoO. Using swashbuckler's Parry and Riposte does not hit the enemy with an AoO.

Psyren
2015-02-15, 08:03 PM
To add my 2cp to the posts above, OP&R works "as if" making an attack of opportunity. It is not actually an AoO (though it does use up one of your AoOs for that round, and as written will even benefit from any bonuses to AoOs you have) and so won't trigger Fortuitous.

Even if it did though, all it would do is cause someone to potentially miss you, and give you two AoOs against them in response, the second one at -5. That is hardly cheese in my book. And even if they attack you multiple times that round, you would only have gotten the "double-AoO" once.

Greenish
2015-02-15, 08:10 PM
To add my 2cp to the posts above, OP&R works "as if" making an attack of opportunity. It is not actually an AoO (though it does use up one of your AoOs for that round, and as written will even benefit from any bonuses to AoOs you have) and so won't trigger Fortuitous.To be precise, only the "parry" portion works "as if" making an attack of opportunity. The "riposte", the actual attack, does not (and doesn't benefit from any bonuses to AoO you may have).