PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dark Warrior Build Help

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-02-15, 07:53 PM
I have been stumped on a characters build. I want my character to have a "Dark Lord" theme. I'm thinking something like Sauron or Morgoth or the Black Captains(Shadow of Mordor). But not like the first two in the fact they can't hold their own in a fight with anyone there power. Defiantly a Martial Class somewhere in it. Any ideas on build?

Troacctid
2015-02-15, 08:46 PM
I built a character kind of like this that was an Ordained Champion of Hextor. He was a pretty cool tyrant. Dread Tyranny and Imperious Command feats, Domination domain spells channeled through his flail, Improved Trip--basically he was this badass knight in full plate armor (+1 fearsome full plate) who could kick your ass in a fight, but never felt the need to dirty his hands when he could just stare you down until you cower in submission.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-15, 08:52 PM
What did you want the end result of your build be? 16 BAB and 9th level Arcane or Divine spells is a good standard for any dark lord and heavy armor and martial weapon proficiency seems like a good choice. Even better if you can get 10 ft reach and a bludgeoning weapon.

Sauron's lack of power in melee combat when dealing with equal powered beings doesn't really come up because all of his peers have a lower divine rank than him.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-02-15, 08:59 PM
What did you want the end result of your build be? 16 BAB and 9th level Arcane or Divine spells is a good standard for any dark lord and heavy armor and martial weapon proficiency seems like a good choice. Even better if you can get 10 ft reach and a bludgeoning weapon.

Yeah I forgot to mention that about the magic. What is Dark Lord without his feared power. Yes divine, magic or shadow is fine.

Essence_of_War
2015-02-15, 09:15 PM
Yeah I forgot to mention that about the magic. What is Dark Lord without his feared power. Yes divine, magic or shadow is fine.

How about:

Paladin of tyranny 2/ hexblade 3 / crusader 3 / ur priest 2 / rev 10?

Technically there is a philoshical conflict between rkv and being an ur priest, but either can be re fluffed if necessary.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-02-15, 09:17 PM
How about:

Paladin of tyranny 2/ hexblade 3 / crusader 3 / ur priest 2 / rev 10?

Technically there is a philoshical conflict between rkv and being an ur priest, but either can be re fluffed if necessary.

What does Rev stand for?

Essence_of_War
2015-02-15, 09:29 PM
What does Rev stand for?

Sorry, autocorrect fail.

That should be RKV, ruby knight (win)vindicator :)

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-02-15, 11:06 PM
Okay I'm thinking 1st Level into Fighter. 6 levels into Sorcerer for that third level spell access. Then 3 into Eldritch Knight followed by 10 Shadow Adept from forgotten Realm. This way I got certain amount of toughness as well as some ominous fusion of arcane and shadow magic. What is your guys opinion? Btw thanks for the previous ideas.

Or should I replace the first 10 levels with Dusk Blade and not bother with the Sorcerer/Fighter/Eldritch Knight.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-15, 11:41 PM
Duskblade 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5 is a good starting build for an aspiring dark lord. Duskblade gives you all armors and martial weapons for Spellsword and combat casting for Abjurant Champion. Sorcerer gives you 2nd level spells and all simple weapons for Spellsword. Add on any 3/4 BAB full casting prestige class for the last 8 levels and you'll get sorcerer casting 18 and 16 BAB.

For stats, you'll want your highest stat in charisma, 14 constitution, 11 intelligence and 13 strength. Take the Power Attack feat at least.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-02-16, 12:16 AM
okay thanks for the input! Looked at the Abjurant and i'm surprised I missed it.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-16, 01:26 AM
I guess the proper question is do you generally want arcane or divine?

Arcane?

Wizard 5/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 10
Take Eidetic spell caster and Spontaneous divination

Divine?

Cleric 7/Shadowcraft mage 5/Ordained Champion 5/Cleric 3.

Take the Magic and Shadow Domains. Buy Runestaves for your cleric and put arcane spells up there.
Especially heroism,haste,celerity, etc.
Use spontaneous Domain ACF with Shadow spells.
Use heroism to get TOB maneuvers.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-16, 03:14 AM
I guess the proper question is do you generally want arcane or divine?

Arcane?

Wizard 5/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 10
Take Eidetic spell caster and Spontaneous divination

Divine?

Cleric 7/Shadowcraft mage 5/Ordained Champion 5/Cleric 3.

Take the Magic and Shadow Domains. Buy Runestaves for your cleric and put arcane spells up there.
Especially heroism,haste,celerity, etc.
Use spontaneous Domain ACF with Shadow spells.
Use heroism to get TOB maneuvers.

If you're getting all martial weapon proficiencies and 5 BAB from Wizard 5, why do you even need to get those other classes? I don't see exactly how you're doing it, but you must be getting it from somewhere to be able to qualify for those classes.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-16, 07:43 AM
If you're getting all martial weapon proficiencies and 5 BAB from Wizard 5, why do you even need to get those other classes? I don't see exactly how you're doing it, but you must be getting it from somewhere to be able to qualify for those classes.

Whoops. Got the order backwards.

Wizard 5/ Eldritch Knight 10/Abjurant champion 5.
Take otherworldly feat.
Voila

Sam K
2015-02-16, 08:11 AM
Duskblade 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5 is a good starting build for an aspiring dark lord. Duskblade gives you all armors and martial weapons for Spellsword and combat casting for Abjurant Champion. Sorcerer gives you 2nd level spells and all simple weapons for Spellsword. Add on any 3/4 BAB full casting prestige class for the last 8 levels and you'll get sorcerer casting 18 and 16 BAB.

For stats, you'll want your highest stat in charisma, 14 constitution, 11 intelligence and 13 strength. Take the Power Attack feat at least.

Duskblade 3 for arcane channeling would be a really nice addition to that. But why does simple weapon prof from sorc matter? Doesn't duskblade grant that (away from books at the moment)?