PDA

View Full Version : Dragonwrought Kobold - Disguising as a humanoid?

Gwazi Magnum
2015-02-16, 12:42 AM
Looking though Dragonwrought Kobold I was considering a enchanting/disguise build.

But apparently its dragon type cuts it off from alter self as a human. While Polymorph is insanely limited in duration.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to let him consistently disguise as an adult humanoid.

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 12:47 AM
Disguising yourself as a different race imposes only a -2 penalty on the Disguise check. It's really only height that you have to worry about, and that's not a problem if you're disguising yourself as a Halfling or Gnome or other small-sized race.

Crake
2015-02-16, 12:49 AM
The disguise self spell has the same duration as alter self, but doesn't care about type

Gwazi Magnum
2015-02-16, 12:53 AM
True.

Though there's still the height issue cutting me off from many options.

There's also the matter the issue of it being a practical disguise. Not a real one.

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 12:54 AM
So alter self yourself up a size category. Badabing badaboom.

Gwazi Magnum
2015-02-16, 01:04 AM
Like I said in the OP that's not the issue with alter self. The issue is the type being dragon prevents it from using the spell into being a humanoid.

oldkingkoal
2015-02-16, 01:06 AM
There is a level 2 spell called Reflective disguise with the same duration. Makes it so you appear as the same species and gender as the one observing you.

oldkingkoal
2015-02-16, 01:08 AM
Could also just alter self into a half dragon of a medium race?

Invader
2015-02-16, 01:08 AM
Like I said in the OP that's not the issue with alter self. The issue is the type being dragon prevents it from using the spell into being a humanoid.

Alter self into a medium sized half dragon/human

Ooh beat me to it :smallsmile:

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 01:12 AM
Could also just alter self into a half dragon of a medium race?

No, because you can't get a template with alter self. But there are presumably other forms that would work.

WhamBamSam
2015-02-16, 01:29 AM
No, because you can't get a template with alter self. But there are presumably other forms that would work.Bozzak Draconian (DCS) is a good one. It's roughly humanoid in size and shape (potentially good enough for disguise self at any rate), and it's the highest natural armor dragon form for Alter Self at +8.

Other options no one seems to have mentioned yet...

If you can get your DM to go along with Dragonwrought Kobolds being True Dragons, then the Alternate Form feat in Dragons of Eberron will let you wander around in human form indefinitely. So long as you aren't using it alongside Half-Dragon form and are just using it for its intended purpose (disguising a dragon so as not to draw attention in humanoid settlements) it seems like a reasonable thing to allow.

If your DM doesn't like that, you could potentially take Assume Supernatural Ability (Steel Wyrmling's Alternate Form). Then, whenever you want to pose as a human, Alter Self into a Steel Wyrmling and Alternate Form into a human from there.

Deophaun
2015-02-16, 01:36 AM
Play a Dragonfire Adept, take Humanoid Shape at level 6?

Flickerdart
2015-02-16, 01:39 AM
Kobolds are humanoid, just paint over your shiny dragon scales.

Gwazi Magnum
2015-02-16, 01:43 AM
Wrymling could work. Though that make me be casting the spell twice? Or is the second time a racial power?

The feat might work too though.

Gwazi Magnum
2015-02-16, 01:45 AM
Kobolds are humanoid

Not Dragonwrought.

WhamBamSam
2015-02-16, 01:49 AM
Wrymling could work. Though that make me be casting the spell twice? Or is the second time a racial power?

The feat might work too though.The second time would be the Steel Dragon's racial Alternate Form acquired through Assume Supernatural Ability.

Gwazi Magnum
2015-02-16, 02:08 AM
The second time would be the Steel Dragon's racial Alternate Form acquired through Assume Supernatural Ability.

Sweet. I guess I'll just use that then! :)
Thanks.

Flickerdart
2015-02-16, 11:36 AM
Not Dragonwrought.
Well duh. But disguising yourself as a non dragonwrought kobold isn't exactly hard.

atemu1234
2015-02-16, 11:55 AM
Well duh. But disguising yourself as a non dragonwrought kobold isn't exactly hard.

Namely, some orange-brown paint for your shiny scales.

Zaq
2015-02-16, 12:50 PM
Kobolds are humanoid, just paint over your shiny dragon scales.

Not Dragonwrought.

And here we learn the difference between humanoid and Humanoid.

(This is why Legend uses brackets for game terms. The distinction between humanoid and Humanoid is a lot less obvious than the distinction between humanoid and [Humanoid].)

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-02-16, 06:36 PM
There's an Egoist ACF that trades your 1st level bonus feat for the changeling's minor change shape ability.

EDIT: minor change shape emulates disguise self, which doesn't specify type but says `you cannot change your body type`. Is there actually a definition for what body type means in RAW?

Gwazi Magnum
2015-02-17, 12:17 AM
I don't think you guys are understanding.

I wasn't asking about turning into another Kobold, I was talking about turning into races such as human, orc, elf etc.