PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need help with Alignment Situation

5w337x7007h
2015-02-16, 01:56 AM
My long-time friend is starting her first campaign, Skulls & Shackles. So far it's been a roll for stats and the basics are sorted out. I have the class, Investigator, and can't change it. I don't plan on making this character fight unless necessary, mainly avoiding melee and bashing enemies with instant alchemy, here and there.

The question I have is, how would I place this character's alignment. He's completely selfless in his acts of service/help/aid, and only seeks self-preservation so that he can continue to provide service/help/aid.
He will provide service/help/aid to anyone who asks, good or evil, lawful or chaotic, alignment of the request-e doesn't matter, as long as his ability to provide a service isn't at stake.

I'm going with Kasatha for race, but the back story would contradict Pathfinder Lore. This isn't Pathfinder Society so I don't think it'll matter.

Backstory is basically that he was made in the fleshforges of Nex to serve as a Servant of Nex. A creature/person dedicated to helping anyone who requests his aid, no matter the task. There's also a believed curse that once a Servant leaves Nex they can't return, because they're too busy helping everyone else to actually make progress towards going home. That's why Servants are freewilled in the ability to decline a request of help. Most Servants believe that leaving Nex would severely hinder their ability to provide service.

Any advice? I'm starting lvl 1, no gear. I believe I've been 'conscripted' by a group of pirates.

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 02:04 AM
Selflessly helping people generally means your alignment is Good. You could also be Lawful or Chaotic if you wanted, but I've found that's often something that arises naturally as you play the character and get a feel for their personality. Mark it down as Neutral Good if you're not sure.

deuxhero
2015-02-16, 02:29 AM
Investigator has no alignment dependency whatsoever, so neutral on any alignment axis you aren't sure on and letting the GM decide during play is fine.

OldTrees1
2015-02-16, 02:35 AM
Selflessly helping people generally means your alignment is Good. You could also be Lawful or Chaotic if you wanted, but I've found that's often something that arises naturally as you play the character and get a feel for their personality. Mark it down as Neutral Good if you're not sure.

Um, the character in question would selflessly help an Evil person do Evil things. The alignment of the request does not matter to the character in question.

I would peg it as True Neutral in the same way a dog is True Neutral because it is forsaking its ability to be a moral agent.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-16, 03:52 AM
I think it would qualify as Chaotic Evil. Chaotic because whenever it encounters a problem it tries to use the same solution (ie helping someone) for every situation. Evil because it requires someone having to ask for help and not actively seeking out people to help.

5w337x7007h
2015-02-16, 04:45 AM
I think it would qualify as Chaotic Evil. Chaotic because whenever it encounters a problem it tries to use the same solution (ie helping someone) for every situation. Evil because it requires someone having to ask for help and not actively seeking out people to help.

The character was made to act that way, it's in his nature to act this way, like it's in a Dwarf's nature to be good with stone, or hate goblinoids and/or giants with a passion. It's sort of a biologically driven state of mind.

OldTrees1
2015-02-16, 04:48 AM
The character was made to act that way, it's in his nature to act this way, like it's in a Dwarf's nature to be good with stone, or hate goblinoids and/or giants with a passion. It's sort of a biologically driven state of mind.

How deep "in his nature" is this? Deep enough that the character does not have moral agency? Or does the character merely choose not to exercise their moral agency?

Sam K
2015-02-16, 04:53 AM
Intentions are probably true neutral. You're acting according to principles that do not appear on the alignment spectrum. You will begin to drift towards an alignment depending on what people you end up helping, and how. If you're asked frequently to help torture prisoners for amusement, you'll drift towards evil (because torturing people for someone elses entertainment, even with no evil intentions, is still pretty bad).

Spore
2015-02-16, 05:43 AM

To be fair, most of that stuff is of a social nature.

I am tending towards LN. He stays true to his principles (serving) while not making a difference between good and evil. But your characterization of said PC is unfinished. What does he do when he is asked for two opposing services? To be fair this sounds more like a curse/geas than an actual character trait.

What makes the character react outside requests? Why is he not serving his master? Why didn't his master program him to only serve himself and his allies? How will this behaviour fly on a pirate ship? He'd be the general drudge in no time. No sleep, no time for anything.

"Hey, Nexxy? Scrub the deck for me." "Hey Nexxy. Peel some potatoes for me!" "Hey, play cards with me." "Hey, would you mind to be my companion for the night?"

5w337x7007h
2015-02-16, 06:18 AM
Well he's free to refuse any offer of aid if it conflicts with his ability to serve. In the case of two conflicting requests, he would abstain, or seek out the best way to complete both tasks according to his ability. Maybe a 'Would you Kindly' command like in BioShock would work. Something that Nexian wizards aren't prone to spreading, but might be extremely vague knowledge that someone might happen to know, or happen upon through casual conversation.

Maybe I'm over-thinking the idea and he's just a 'kill you with kindness' kind of guy. Not worried either way with alignment, but always keeps politeness, or the variant specific to a race, at the forefront of any verbal communication. Such as always treating drow women with high respect and flattery, or bolstering a gnomes vibrant and erratic personality to help cheer one up.