PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can I delay taking a feat? (3.5)

Aetis
2015-02-16, 02:08 AM
Quick question:

Are characters allowed to delay taking a feat?

For example, at lv 6, a wizard meets the prereqs to take Arcane Thesis.

But he wants his arcane thesis on a 4th level spell he will be getting in lv 7.

Can he wait on his feat until lv 7 to put the Arcane Thesis on a 4th level spell?

OldTrees1
2015-02-16, 02:29 AM
No.

However there are rare instances where a class granting a feat will allow you to pick another if you already took that feat.

Skill Focus (Diplomacy): Because a marshal has a way with people, he gains this feat as a bonus feat. If the marshal already has the feat, he can choose a different one.

So you could choose Skill Focus Diplomacy at 6th and then get Arcane Thesis later via a level of Marshal. While this is technically possible, it is not very useful in your case.

So in your case I would just use your 9th level feat instead.

Aetis
2015-02-16, 02:38 AM
Ok, got it.

Wacky89
2015-02-16, 05:26 AM
if allowed by your GM, there is feat retraining rules in PHB2 p. 194. So you could just take a placeholder feat and retrain on level 7. It takes 2 weeks and costs 50gp

Khedrac
2015-02-16, 05:29 AM
if allowed by your GM, there is feat retraining rules in PHB2 p. 194. So you could just take a placeholder feat and retrain on level 7. It takes 2 weeks and costs 50gp

Except it specifically has to be a feat you were eligible to take at the point you took the original feat...

Wacky89
2015-02-16, 05:40 AM
Except it specifically has to be a feat you were eligible to take at the point you took the original feat...

oh yeah, I read his topic abit quick. Yeah then the only way is Chaos shuffle

johnbragg
2015-02-16, 06:24 AM
oh yeah, I read his topic abit quick. Yeah then the only way is Chaos shuffle

Or asking your DM to make an entirely reasonable exception.

If the DM is allowing Arcane Thesis, I think he or she will be inclined to allow you to leave a feat slot open for a level.

kellbyb
2015-02-16, 08:47 AM

Yes, but the requirements of arcane thesis aren't dependent on the chosen spell, meaning he was eligible to get it back at 6, which I believe means it is eligible for retraining to the desired result.

meemaas
2015-02-16, 09:40 AM
Unless I'm much mistaken. A wizard knows all spells scribed in his spellbook even if he can't cast them. So if he scribes his fourth level spell before level six, he qualifies to choose it with arcane thesis at that level, doesn't he?

Hiro Quester
2015-02-16, 11:01 AM
Unless I'm much mistaken. A wizard knows all spells scribed in his spellbook even if he can't cast them. So if he scribes his fourth level spell before level six, he qualifies to choose it with arcane thesis at that level, doesn't he?

Unfortunately, arcane thesis says:

Choose one arcane spell that you can cast to be your thesis spell

So you have to be able to cast the spell you take as your thesis.

But I think you best bet is to appeal to your DM and ask to delay taking the feat until level 7. It doesn't seem an unreasonable request. Unless the particular spell you want to take would be hideously overpowered to have as arcane thesis spell by level 7, and it really should wait until level 9.

Again, this sounds like a "talk to your DM" kind of issue. Not strictly rules-legal, but not a totally unreasonable exception, since it leaves you with one less feat for a level. I'd allow it, but I'm not your DM.

Khedrac
2015-02-16, 12:25 PM
Again, this sounds like a "talk to your DM" kind of issue. Not strictly rules-legal, but not a totally unreasonable exception, since it leaves you with one less feat for a level. I'd allow it, but I'm not your DM.

The problem with this, is that whilst your request may not be unreasonable, it opens the door to someone else asking "can I delay taking a feat by one level" and doing so to do something very unreasonable. For this reason, if no other, I would say "no" as a DM.

endur
2015-02-16, 08:39 PM
The issue isn't that you want to delay a feat by one level. That I think is fine under the rules. It is no different than someone forgetting to write down one of their feats on their character sheet.

The issue is, "Can I delay a feat by one level and then take a feat that I wouldn't have qualified for previously." That is the problem, and I probably wouldn't allow it. Although I would allow you to delay taking a feat, but it would still have to be a feat you could have qualified for at sixth level.

unbutu
2015-02-16, 09:53 PM
Well, you've asked, and it was well answered: It would be a house rule.

Special mention to the slippery slope fallacy mentionned a bit above :)

It would straight up open the gates of hell! Litterally. I've got one too: ''Hey, look at this build: It picks all it's feats at level 11, when it qualify for better feats ! ''

johnbragg
2015-02-16, 10:01 PM
I love the logic that metamagic reducers are fine, but delaying a feat until you meet a requirement for it is ohmygodbrokenopkillitiwithfire.

Scorponok
2015-02-17, 03:26 AM
How long does it take for your group of PCs to level up? You could explain to your DM that by you NOT taking a feat at the appropriate level, you are handicapping your character to get a little bit more powerful at a higher level. And it could be a handicap that lasts several nights of gameplay.

Firest Kathon
2015-02-17, 03:47 AM
Unfortunately, arcane thesis says:

Choose one arcane spell that you can cast to be your thesis spell
So you have to be able to cast the spell you take as your thesis.

In my reading of this rule, a Wizard 6 could take a 4th-level spell for Arcane Thesis, because he can already cast it, e.g. from a scroll or wand. He won't get much use of it until he has a regular slot for it, but in my opinion it does not prohibit him from taking it.