PDA

View Full Version : Archivist spell levels

Renen
2015-02-16, 10:06 AM
How would an archivist learn spells from classes that don't go up to 9th level spells?
Like paladin. Can they use 4th level paladin spells at 7th level?

Necroticplague
2015-02-16, 10:22 AM
How would an archivist learn spells from classes that don't go up to 9th level spells?
Like paladin. Can they use 4th level paladin spells at 7th level?

As they would any other.

Yep. This is one among the many tricks archivists can use to get lower level spells.

atemu1234
2015-02-16, 10:31 AM
As they would any other.

Yep. This is one among the many tricks archivists can use to get lower level spells.

Meh, paladin spells aren't all that good. Are any actually game-breaking?

Renen
2015-02-16, 10:38 AM
Afaik some paladin spells are quite decent self buffs. Giving a crap tonn of immunities and such.

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-02-16, 10:44 AM
Meh, paladin spells aren't all that good. Are any actually game-breaking?

There are some nice normally Cleric spells on the Paladin list at lower levels. Lesser Restoration, for example, is 1st level versus 2nd level. Heal shows up as a 5th level spell on the Adept list versus 6th on the Cleric list. Spell Compendium has some gems in it that are either Paladin only or are listed at a lower spell level than on the Cleric list.

Chronos
2015-02-16, 11:18 AM
Personally, my favorite paladin spell (and it's paladin-only) is Door to Great Evil. It teleports you an unlimited distance on the same plane, with no chance of error... and always puts you right next to a randomly-chosen level-appropriate evil creature that Needs Killin'.

Namfuak
2015-02-16, 11:26 AM
Due to the poor wording on Battle Blessing, you can also take that and cast any paladin spell you know as a swift action instead.

WhamBamSam
2015-02-16, 12:11 PM
Due to the poor wording on Battle Blessing, you can also take that and cast any paladin spell you know as a swift action instead.I don't think that's the case. I would argue that something only counts as a Paladin spell if it comes from a Paladin spell slot. Archivists don't cast Paladin spells or Cleric spells or Druid spells, they cast Archivist spells.

I similarly disagree with people who try to put Battle Blessing and Sword of the Arcane Order on Prestige Paladins (who are still casting Cleric spells and using Cleric spell slots - or whatever class they entered from - just as a Wizard/Incantatrix is casting wizard spells, not Incantatrix spells, and casting them from Wizard spell slots) or use Battle Blessing auto-quicken SotAO spells (which are explicitly Wizard spells even though they're prepared in Paladin Spell slots).

Zaq
2015-02-16, 12:40 PM
My personal favorite Paladin spell is Silverbeard, from Spell Compendium (pg. 190). You grow a huge and lustrous beard (even if you're an elf, a female, a youngin', or something similarly facial-hairly-challenged) that provides a friggin' bonus to AC because of how manly it is. And you get a +2 circumstance bonus to Diplomacy checks against dwarves, because they recognize your beardliness. Not joking.

I once made a joke build that centered around getting as many things with Share Spells as possible on one character, then casting Silverbeard to make some ridiculously stupidly high number of badass beards spring into existence at once, with the end goal being to have so much beardly might in one place that an Aspect of Moradin would show up to high-five you.

Personally, my favorite paladin spell (and it's paladin-only) is Door to Great Evil. It teleports you an unlimited distance on the same plane, with no chance of error... and always puts you right next to a randomly-chosen level-appropriate evil creature that Needs Killin'.

I like the sound of that. Sounds horribly disruptive to an actual campaign, but still amusing. What book is it from?

Chronos
2015-02-16, 01:40 PM
Ghostwalk, of all books, though I'm not sure what it has to do with ghosts.

...with the end goal being to have so much beardly might in one place that an Aspect of Moradin would show up to high-five you.
...with his beard.

Zaq
2015-02-16, 01:44 PM
Ghostwalk, of all books, though I'm not sure what it has to do with ghosts.

What page? It doesn't appear to be in the Spells section.

Necroticplague
2015-02-16, 01:59 PM
What page? It doesn't appear to be in the Spells section.

It's in the web enhancement (which means you can nab it free from WOTC's website).

Thurbane
2015-02-16, 03:20 PM
Summon Giants is a nice one. 8th level Cleric, or 4th level for a Disciple of Thrym.

4th level spell to summon CR 11 monsters? :smallbiggrin: