PDA

View Full Version : Name my metal!

Sindeloke
2015-02-16, 10:36 AM
This is a minor thing but it's driving me nuts, so I've come to solicit outside opinions.

I have two unique metal alloys designed for my setting, which are, between the two of them, the pinnacle of metallurgical technology in the known world, and which are generally important to the worldbuilding. I have a name for one, but can't figure out what to call the other.

The first, amaranth, is in most ways comparable to steel, with three exceptions:

When polished, it doesn't create a smooth mirror like normal steel, but rather diffuses any light that hits it into dozens of colors, essentially creating the same pearlescent effect as the inside of a clamshell.
It conducts electricity extraordinarily well, making it much desired by engineers and techsmiths.
It has a strong affinity for magic, making it a near-essential component of many permanent complex magical devices.

The second, its counterpart, is also in most ways comparable to steel, with, again, three exceptions:

It's a dark, matte grey in color - not so dark that you'd mistake it for true black, but dark enough that you might call it that for convenience - and never becomes reflective or shiny no matter how you polish it. If you look close you can detect slight irregularities in the color, like different grains of sand on a beach, despite the perfectly smooth texture of the surface.
It's curiously resistant to temperature change, able to take a silly amount of heat without warping or even getting that hot to touch, or linger in profound cold without turning brittle.
It has an absolute antipathy to magic. It requires tremendously powerful sorcery to make even the most minor enchantment stick to this substance, and a simple shiv of the stuff can be used by an adept thief to easily disrupt the delicate mechanisms of magical locks and traps. Magical creatures are hurt by merely touching it.

So what would you call that? This stuff is a big part of the world, at least for an adventurer. It needs to be a simple, easy, everyday sort of name that doesn't distract my players with alien-sounding words that they need to learn and mentally translate all the time, but not so everyday that it can be mistaken for anything else (like, I can't just call it "slate" and move on). I've been kicking around "shadowsteel" but I don't like it, it's too froofy and magical and this stuff is anything but. "Blackmetal" is kind of awkward to say. "Teflon-coated" is right out. I've hit a wall, and must beg the Playground's assistance.

JNAProductions
2015-02-16, 10:58 AM
Stralite. Seems like a good name.

Tintenseher
2015-02-16, 03:52 PM
"Umbrium" for the dark color. Aznium, loranth, grettenite, because...I dunno, they sound gritty and appropriate.

Gritmonger
2015-02-16, 08:16 PM
Dun. Grit. Grot. Tuff. Mal.
Something earthy sounding (grounding rather than conducting magic) that goes with its unassuming nature of being flat in color and mundane in appearance and application.

Dusk Raven
2015-02-16, 08:43 PM
When I read "amaranth" and "counterpart" I immediately thought of "Hyacinth." It's a word I've paired with amaranth before...

ReaderAt2046
2015-02-17, 10:02 AM
What about "dunsteel" or "fadesteel"? Or maybe go with "insulath" or something along those lines, since its main property seems to be insulating flows of magic and heat?

Solaris
2015-02-17, 10:16 AM
The counterpart seems rather like cast iron, and shares some of iron's anti-magic properties found in certain folklore. It's in contrast to the high-fallutin' and fancy-sounding amaranth, too.

Why not call it null iron, black iron, or witchblack?

Mith
2015-02-17, 11:11 AM
I don't have any different suggestions, since I like what I have read thus far, but I do suggest taking several names and hving different peoples use the different terms.

jqavins
2015-02-17, 12:40 PM
Black steel or contracted to blaksteel. It goes with the color and the sort of "magically dark" nature. Dark steel or darksteel (previously suggested, I believe) are just as good.

Acacia OnnaStik
2015-02-17, 08:49 PM
The antimagic thing makes me think of lead more than iron- plus, you don't say so, but I suspect it's heavy. Black lead? Dark lead? Spellkill?

EDIT: Also, some things are just named after the region in which they're invented, produced, found, or found most abundantly. Maybe (location of original production)ian lead/iron/steel?

jqavins
2015-02-18, 09:05 AM
The antimagic thing makes me think of lead more than iron- plus, you don't say so, but I suspect it's heavy...

The second, its counterpart, is also in most ways comparable to steel, with, again, three exceptions...
'Nuff said?

EDIT: But, I suppose a couple percent lead in the alloy might be part of the trick. Sindeloke didn't say anything about that except that these two metals are "the pinnacle of metallurgical technology in the known world," implying that they are most likely alloys of something. "Metallurgical technology" usually means alloys, but it could be identifying and refining especially difficult ore to get an element that can't be obtained in simpler ways. The pinacle might be a combination, such as obtaining scarce and hard to refine elements that, when added to steel, give the desired properties. But that's all just my own speculation; Sindeloke didn't say, and I'll just bet that in his world the people who know aren't saying either. After all, if you had the secret to making an economically critical magical metal, wouldn't you keep it to yourself?

Corneel
2015-02-18, 10:25 AM
I'd call it "swert", cognate to the words for black in Old English ("sweart") and other Germanic languages (zwart, svart, schwarz,...), but also reminiscent of sword.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-02-18, 12:17 PM
I suggest calling them livesteel and deadsteel.

Xuc Xac
2015-02-18, 12:55 PM
I suggest calling them livesteel and deadsteel.

Or vitalium and mortalium, if you want a more technical sound.

YossarianLives
2015-02-18, 01:51 PM
How about 'Difficulttoobtainium'.

jqavins
2015-02-18, 04:06 PM
How about 'Difficulttoobtainium'.
Too close to "unobtainium," which, despite James Cameron, is a decades old engineering slang term for "unknown material of immensely useful but likely impossible properties." It covers these two metals nicely in meaning, but Sindeloke also indicated he wants a term that isn't already something else. (They're not always impossible; in the 1960s one might have imagined things that could be built if only one had permanent magnets five time stronger per pound. Back then those would have been unobtainium magnets, now they're neodymium magnets.)

dbn2791
2015-02-20, 09:53 AM
How about Nihilium? or Ebonsteel?

chainer1216
2015-02-23, 05:10 AM
Anathemium?

Arracor
2015-02-23, 05:37 AM
In this particular case, I feel like it's better to name the metal based on its effect rather than its color. There's a clear path here for using words involving cancellation, negation, or dispelling; 'Null Iron' is a good example of that. Or perhaps Antitheum.

Hurgablurg
2015-02-27, 08:11 PM
How about Abisythil (abyss-ithil)? Malcerite (mal-sir-ite)?

Mage-bane? Wizard-bane? Sorceror-bane?

Who uses it primarily? Historical usage relating to a particular culture can have a major impact on it's world-wide name. Especially with who discovered it first.

IZ42
2015-02-27, 08:42 PM
One idea you could consider is something like Stygium. It kinda carries the connotations I think you want.