PDA

View Full Version : Animated Avatar mistake

dream
2015-02-16, 11:05 AM
I was recently "warned" by "the Angel in the Playground" about my animated avatar. I checked the rules and there it was - "no animated avatars". It was an honest mistake, because the last thing I'm here for is to cause problems.

My question is how long does the "Scarlet Letter"-like warning beneath the user name last? That seems a little much, marking people for mistakes. Especially since animated avatars are in the section of the rules pertaining to "inappropriate topics", rather than infractions. It says "inappropriate topics" will be edited and mentions nothing about being warned/tagged as a forum troublemaker.

So this is all very surprising, for what was an honest mistake on my part. Some sites have an appeal system for this sort of thing. Where is that for Giant in the Playground?:smallconfused:

Edit: I'd prefer Moderator response to this rather than non-Moderators. Thank you.

Duck999
2015-02-16, 11:23 AM
In a thread about appealing for infractions:

Edit: Never mind after reading a few posts in this section. I found out I'm supposed to discuss it with the moderator and then with the moderator above them.
And an admin response:

Sheriff: Correct. That information is also in the Forum Rules, a useful document to read after one recieves a Warning or Infraction. Perhaps an even more useful read before.

So first contact The angel in the playground, Haruki-Kun if I remember correctly, then, if need be, contact Roland St. Jude.

Rawhide
2015-02-16, 11:27 AM
I was recently "warned" by "the Angel in the Playground" about my animated avatar. I checked the rules and there it was - "no animated avatars". It was an honest mistake, because the last thing I'm here for is to cause problems.

My question is how long does the "Scarlet Letter"-like warning beneath the user name last? That seems a little much, marking people for mistakes. Especially since animated avatars are in the section of the rules pertaining to "inappropriate topics", rather than infractions. It says "inappropriate topics" will be edited and mentions nothing about being warned/tagged as a forum troublemaker.

So this is all very surprising, for what was an honest mistake on my part. Some sites have an appeal system for this sort of thing. Where is that for Giant in the Playground?:smallconfused:

Edit: I'd prefer Moderator response to this rather than non-Moderators. Thank you.

1) It was a warning, as you mentioned, not an infraction. A warning serves as a reminder of the rules, not a reprimand, and carries no infraction points.

2) The warning listed underneath your name is completely private. Only you and the forum staff can see it. So, unless you post about it publicly, no one else will ever know.

3) It tells you how long until it expires in your profile. This particular warning will disappear in 6 months.

4) This was issued as a warning (again, warnings are reminders of the rules, and carry no infraction points) so that it is recorded in the system that you have been reminded of the rules. You'll receive only one warning for any signature/avatar violations.

dream
2015-02-16, 12:13 PM
Thank you, Rawhide. One last question; can the Moderator who issued the warning retract it? Or are they irrevocable?

I only ask because the warning remains for six months. People have killed others, served their sentence, and went home in roughly half that span. (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/sentenced-90-days-behind-bars-fatal-crash-article-1.2036999) This isn't as severe, I'd think:smallsmile:

Regardless, thanks again for the input.

Roland St. Jude
2015-02-16, 05:17 PM
Thank you, Rawhide. One last question; can the Moderator who issued the warning retract it? Or are they irrevocable?That's two questions, but who's counting. :smalltongue: If a Moderator believes there was an error, they can discuss the matter with me and we can reverse the Warning/Infraction. That doesn't really apply here though. You're not saying you didn't violate the rule, just that you don't like the rule or think it lasts too long.

As noted in the first response in this thread, the appropriate course is to PM the moderator who took the action. If they don't resolve your concern, PM me. This is set out in the Forum Rules.

I only ask because the warning remains for six months. People have killed others, served their sentence, and went home in roughly half that span. (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/sentenced-90-days-behind-bars-fatal-crash-article-1.2036999) This isn't as severe, I'd think:smallsmile:On the other hand, a speeding ticket remains on your record for seven years, so perhaps we should increase the expiry time? A friend of mine mispronounced a word once twenty years ago and it still gets brought up on a regular basis. I know a guy who got drunk once at a sporting event and was banned for the venue for life.

None of these comparisons are really relevant, though. We have a highly structured system of Warnings and Infractions with purposefully chosen point values and expiry times. We're not going to vary it for individual posters, and while we revisit all the Forum Rules and procedures from time to time, they aren't likely to change any time soon.

Question answered. Thread closed.