PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed How much does Mystic Shield protect?

AngelOfFaith
2015-02-16, 11:34 AM
]
Mystic Shield
Abjuration
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 8
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 1 round./level (D)
Saving throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

With the casting of your spell, you feel a presence about you, warding off the spells of other casters.

This spell creates an invisible aura around the recipient that moves with that individual. It prevents all spells and spell-like abilities of 6th level or lower from affecting the recipient. The protected individual can cast spells normally, even on himself. Magic items and spells that summon items to the caster such as Leomund's secret chest and Drawmij's Instant summons likewise function normally.
A mystic shield also negates the enhancement bonuses and special properties of magic weapons used against the target.
Material component: A stone, a drop of blood, a tear from the caster's eye, and a clear gem stone worth at least 400gp.

So we get a pumped up Globe of Invulnerability. That's awesome but what does it affect? If I had buffs on myself that were below level 7 does it suppress them? If it does suppresses them does it matter weather I cast them or someone else did since it says I can cast spells on myself? It only specifies stopping spells and sla-s, but it also says that it doesn't prevent a specific type of magic items from working so will it suppress the effects of the magic items I'm wearing if they are not "items and spells that summon items"? Lastly what constitutes "affecting the recipient"? Fireball obviously does, but does a Detect Magic affect me? What about scrying?
I'm quite aware all of that mainly depends on my DM's ruling but still.

Necroticplague
2015-02-16, 11:48 AM
So we get a pumped up Globe of Invulnerability. That's awesome but what does it affect? If I had buffs on myself that were below level 7 does it suppress them? If it does suppresses them does it matter weather I cast them or someone else did since it says I can cast spells on myself? It only specifies stopping spells and sla-s, but it also says that it doesn't prevent a specific type of magic items from working so will it suppress the effects of the magic items I'm wearing if they are not "items and spells that summon items"? Lastly what constitutes "affecting the recipient"? Fireball obviously does, but does a Detect Magic affect me? What about scrying?
I'm quite aware all of that mainly depends on my DM's ruling but still.

Anything that's a spell or SLA of 6th level or lower,yes,yes,no, presumably any spell that does something to you,no,no.

AngelOfFaith
2015-02-16, 02:31 PM
So I can still cast buffs on myself but they are not going to work and I'm going to waste part of their duration while the shield lasts? That seems quite unhelpful.
And if it suppresses my magic items how do I know which ones it does - must I check whether their caster level is above 6th?

Necroticplague
2015-02-16, 02:38 PM
So I can still cast buffs on myself but they are not going to work and I'm going to waste part of their duration while the shield lasts? That seems quite unhelpful.
And if it suppresses my magic items how do I know which ones it does - must I check whether their caster level is above 6th?

You can cast buffs on yourself, just not until after you cast the shield. but yes, that's the general idea.

You're parsing the sentence that brings up magic items wrong. You're going under the assumption that it's:(Magic items and spells) (that summon items to the caster)..However, it's actually more like: (Magic items) and (spells that summon items to the caster). So all of your magic items keep working.

AngelOfFaith
2015-02-16, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry I didn't quite catch that, what do you mean not until after I cast the shield?

And by the way how would it have been worded if the magic item part meant what I thought it meant?