PDA

View Full Version : Comics Gene Luen Yang's Superman

t209
2015-02-16, 11:52 AM
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2015/02/dc-comics-new-series-superman-gene-luen-yang
Hey, members of giant's forum, I got a news from my comic book class that Gene Luen Yang (American Born Chinese, and Boxers and Saints) will be writing Superman.
Guess DC have two famous Asians (other Jim Lee) in comic publication.

Metahuman1
2015-02-16, 11:55 AM
The question is, can he write superman well?

t209
2015-02-16, 12:12 PM
The question is, can he write superman well?
That depends on his credentials.
On one hand Level Up and some Avatar comics (especially Kori) are not so great.
But on the other hand, American Born Chinese, and Boxer and Saints are pretty good.

Metahuman1
2015-02-16, 12:28 PM
Allen Moore is generally regarded as Pretty good, but it doesn't mean he'd be good at writing the big blue upbeat boyscout that superman is suppose to be.

Mind, there's also the other question of "Even if he can, will DC editorial ALLOW him to?"

t209
2015-02-17, 05:11 PM
I hope it didn't turn into Reggie Hudlin's Black Panther run, which he made Wakanda into self righteous isolationist rather than giving them a point in colonialism. I wonder how it will turn out if Aaron Mcgruder of Boondock fame write the story, at least he might be a better story writer than his former partner/BET president.
Anyway, any Asians in comic industries. All I can recall is Jim Lee (artist) and Larry Hama (writer).

Metahuman1
2015-02-17, 05:49 PM
Well, there's Pat Lee, but, he's, kind of a douche bag form what I understand.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-02-19, 10:15 AM
There are quite a few Filipino artists that work in America if you count those as asian.

Allen Moore is generally regarded as Pretty good, but it doesn't mean he'd be good at writing the big blue upbeat boyscout that superman is suppose to be.

Alan Moore has often written Superman and writes him fine. He's actually quite a big Silver Age Superman fan. He's also written his own darker version of Superman but doesn't appear to find the idea of ruining the original interesting.

TheEmerged
2015-02-19, 01:42 PM
Um, Alan Moore wrote one of the best Superman stories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_Man_Who_Has_Everything) ever, and probably *the* best of that decade. I'm not saying I want him on the book all the time but he *can* write the character (when he wants to).

Metahuman1
2015-02-19, 05:53 PM
1: Fine, make it Mike Migolda. (Hellboy's creator.) or Brian Haberlin (Witch Blade's Creator.). You get the point.

2: Doesn't answer my statement of "Will DC editorial LET him write the character properly."?

GloatingSwine
2015-02-19, 08:22 PM
1: Fine, make it Mike Migolda. (Hellboy's creator.)

Hellboy is a better Superman than some people write Superman as, frankly.

(Mike Mignola has been the artist on Superman but not, AFAIK, the writer).

Metahuman1
2015-02-19, 08:42 PM
I really, really didn't want to have to resort to this to get to the point, but,

Make it Frank Miller, Circa the day the first part of The Dark Knight Returns went on sale. He was considered good, had things like Daredevil and Ronin under his belt, but he's not the guy you wanted doing superman. (And this was before he descended into madness.).

There, I did it. I'm gonna take a shower now, I feel dirty that I had to use him to get my point across.

Gnome Alone
2015-02-23, 12:19 AM
Gene Yang's stuff is so mythic that I wouldn't doubt his ability to write Superman at all. I'm actually kind of excited about this, somewhat weirdly (I don't really give much of an excrement about superheroes)... but man, Boxers & Saints was (were?) freaking fantastic. I've yet to read anything by him that I ddin't like at least a little bit.

Metahuman1
2015-02-23, 09:25 AM
Gene Yang's stuff is so mythic that I wouldn't doubt his ability to write Superman at all. I'm actually kind of excited about this, somewhat weirdly (I don't really give much of an excrement about superheroes)... but man, Boxers & Saints was (were?) freaking fantastic. I've yet to read anything by him that I ddin't like at least a little bit.

Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for.

Next question: What are the Odds DC editorial are gonna back off the "every body must be like Batman." stance they've had in recent years and let him do his stuff?

TheEmerged
2015-02-23, 11:53 AM
Sadly, DC\Warner won't change their tune until one of DarkDork films fails to make money - and maybe not until a few have failed & time has passed.

Metahuman1
2015-02-23, 12:25 PM
Then sadly this news would be insignificent. *Sigh.*.

Here's hoping Aquaman at least get's the super friends bleached form pop cultures brain.