PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Skill Maneuvers: Making Skill-Monkeys Useful

Volos
2015-02-16, 03:36 PM
I've been running Pathfinder for a long while, and in all of that time I have felt something was missing. Why it is that any spell-caster gets to control the battlefield or take advantage of environmental situations but a melee guy or skill monkey can't seem to keep up? Was there something fundamentally wrong with the game balance? Or was there something that could be done? This is when I came up with the idea of a Skill Maneuver.

Let me know what you think, good or bad. I have run through several versions of this and this is the one I think I want to start playtesting before my new campaign starts up in a few weeks. Any feedback would be great, questions can only help, and your ideas are probably better than mine.

A Skill Maneuver is alot like a Combat Maneuver with a few exceptions. You still have a Skill Maneuver Bonus, like a CMB, and a Skill Maneuver Defense, like a CMD. Essentially a Skill Maneuver is a use of any given skill, such as Craft (Alchemy) or Knowledge (Nature), that gives you a special attack to use against the target. You might be attacking with your weapon in hand, trying to take advantage of a weak spot you spotted or know about. Or you could be using an environmental feature such as a camp fire or cutting a chandelier rope to hurt the target. There could even be a use of your skill that would let you inflict a condition on the target, such as blinded, stunned, or shaken.

You always describe your 'intent' and 'approach' when wishing to use a Skill Maneuver. Your 'intent' is what you would like to accomplish, such as 'I want to blind him.' Your 'approach' would be how you would like to do it, such as 'I'll quickly mix something up and toss it in his face!' You can say both intent and approach at the same time. Since Skill Maneuvers require a lot of interpretation by the GM, if your intent and approach are not clear your attempt may automatically fail. You must declare whether you are attempting to apply one of the following effects; deal Skill Damage, inflict a condition, or replicate a Combat Maneuver.

Your Skill Maneuver Bonus is your normal bonus for the skill plus any circumstance bonuses or penalties your GM might which to apply from -5 to +5. Generally a Skill Maneuver is made in place of an attack. Otherwise it is a Standard Action unless otherwise noted under any Combat Maneuver it is attempting to replicate. Add any bonuses you currently have on that skill check due to spells, feats, and other effects. These bonuses must be applicable to the named skill, the weapon, or attack used to perform the maneuver. If your skill can be modified by a masterwork item or skill kit, you must describe the use of the item and have it accessible when performing the maneuver in order to add the bonus. The DC of the maneuver is your target's Skill Maneuver Defense.

Your target's Skill Maneuver Defense is 10 + Base Attack Bonus + Strength Modifier + Wisdom Modifier + Dexterity Modifier + Intelligence Modifier. A flat-footed target does not gain their Dexterity or Intelligence Modifiers to their Skill Maneuver Defense. Just as with CMD, your target may apply any circumstance, deflection, dodge, insight, morale, profane, and sacred bonuses to AC to its SMD. Any penalties to a creature's AC also apply to its SMD.

As with CMB and CMD, you succeed if you match or exceed your target's SMD. If you exceed the Target's SMD by five or more you can add one of the following effects; upgrade Skill Damage, add weapon damage, add environmental damage, inflict a condition, or replicate a combat maneuver. You can only do one combat maneuver and you can inflict one condition per four levels. You can only deal weapon and environmental damage once, but Skill Damage upgrades. Each multiple of five by which you exceed their SMD allows you to add another effect.

Table: Skill Damage Dealt
Party Skill or Ability Check Difficulty
Level...Match SMD...SMD+5...SMD+10..SMD+15
1st-3rd......1d3*....1d4*....1d8*....1d10*
4th-7th......1d4*....1d6*....2d6*....2d6*
8th-11th.....1d6*....1d8*....2d8*....2d8*
12th-15th...1d8*....1d10*...3d6*....3d6*
16th-19th...1d10*...2d6*....3d8*....3d8*
20th...........2d6*....2d8*....4d8*....4d8*
*Add the relevant ability modifier for the used skill to the damage dealt by the Skill Manuever.

Table: Enviromental Damage Dealt
Party
Level Enviromental Damage
1st-3rd......1d8
4th-7th......1d10
8th-11th.....2d6
12th-15th...3d6
16th-19th...4d6
20th..........5d6
*Add the relevant ability modifier for the used skill to the damage dealt by the Skill Manuever.

Table: Inflicted Condition
Party
Level Duration: Condition
1st-3rd 1 Rnd: Dazzled, Shaken, Sickened, Deafened*, Bleed 1
4th-7th 1d4 Rnd: Blinded*, Dazed, Entangled*, Grappled, Bleed 1d4
8th-11th 1d6 Rnd: Staggered, Frightened, Fatigued*, Confused,* Bleed 1d6
12th-15th 1d8 Rnd: Stunned*, Pinned, Flat-Footed, Nauseated*, Bleed 2d6
16th-19th 2d6 Rnd: Exhausted*, Suffocating*, Unconscious*, Bleed 3d6
20th 3d6 Rnd: Cowering*, Helpless*, Bleed 4d6
*Entries marked with an * are allowed a saving throw vs the check result to negate or lessen the condition, a new save may be made each turn by the opponent*

EDIT: I forgot to mention a couple of important things. When trying to use a Skill Maneuver you do not declare to the GM what skill you are trying to use. This home-rule is more about creativity and inventive thought than power-gaming and number crunching. You describe your intended actions and attempted approach. The GM, as per usual for a skill check, will tell you what skill to roll for.

The second thing I forgot to add was a limitation on the frequency of use for Skill Maneuvers. For now I was thinking of limiting it to one use per combat for every two base skill points your character class receives, rounding up. So a class with 2 + Int skill points per level will be able to attempt a Skill Maneuver once per combat, whereas a class that has 6 + Int skill points per level will be able to attempt a Skill Maneuver three times per combat. This would increase by one Skill Maneuver per combat for every three levels. In the case of multi-clasing you would use the class you had the most levels in, or in the case of a tie the class with the most uses. I figured that this could make it accessible to everyone but still allow the skill-monkeys to really shine.

I was also tinkering around with the idea that certain roleplay challenges could have a number of hit-points and a SMD based on their CR. Each skill check could turn into a Skill Maneuver and take off a certain number of hit-points from the challenge until it was defeated. A way to measure each player's contribution to the event without having to arbitrate it with 'Needs three successes before two failures.' The challenges, if time senstive, could be a failure if enough turns go by or they could regain some health for badly botched rolls.

tldr: The GM, not the player, chooses the skill check used for the SMB roll. You can use a Skill Maneuver once per combat for every 2 base skill points your class gets before Int bonuses. So if you get 6 Skill Points per level, you can use three Skill Maneuvers per fight. This increases by one use per three levels. And then something about roleplay encounters getting Hit-Points and a SMD for your players to do Skill Damage to with Skill Maneuvers instead of skill checks.

tldr: A Skill Maneuver is like a Combat Maneuver but you roll a Skill check vs Combat Maneuver Defense plus your target's Wisdom and Intelligence Bonuses. You declare if you want to deal damage, inflict and condition, or replicate a Combat Maneuver before you roll. At each multiple of 5 above their Skill Maneuver Defense you exceed, you either upgrade damage, add weapon damage, add environmental damage, inflict another condition, or replicate a combat maneuver. This new house-rule makes for a more cinematic exciting game.

avr
2015-02-16, 11:52 PM
Table: Inflicted Condition
Party
Level Duration: Condition
1st-3rd 1 Rnd: Dazzled, Shaken, Sickened, Deafened*, Bleed 1
4th-7th 1d4 Rnd: Blinded*, Dazed, Entangled*, Grappled, Bleed 1d4
8th-11th 1d6 Rnd: Staggered, Frightened, Fatigued*, Confused,* Bleed 1d6
12th-15th 1d8 Rnd: Stunned*, Pinned, Flat-Footed, Nauseated*, Bleed 2d6
16th-19th 2d6 Rnd: Exhausted*, Suffocating*, Unconscious*, Bleed 3d6
20th 3d6 Rnd: Cowering*, Helpless*, Bleed 4d6
*Entries marked with an * are allowed a saving throw vs the check result to negate or lessen the condition, a new save may be made each turn by the opponent*
Your conditions don't exactly scale from least to most on this table. Dazed and Blinded are nasty conditions for almost anyone; Fatigued and Flat-footed are much less important by comparison. And if you had a choice of rendering your enemy Exhausted, Suffocating or Unconscious, which of those three would you choose, seriously? Note that Unconscious targets are Helpless by definition.

An item which gives a +5 to a skill is not priced the same as one which gives +5 to CMB. It probably should with this system in the game.

Do you give the player a chance to abort if a stunt he thought would be Craft (Alchemy) turns out in your GMly opinion to be Sleight of Hand?

If replicating a combat maneuver, would feats or other effects which would give a bonus to that maneuver apply?

SMD will be high for some monsters. e.g a venedaemon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/daemons/venedaemon) would have AC 18, CMD 18, SMD 27. Do you tell the players anything about the monster's SMD in advance of their trying it?

Volos
2015-02-21, 06:38 PM
avr, thanks for your input! I really hadn't finished polishing off the progression of status effects. I realize that some are stronger than others, and I may remove or move around a few of them. I am currently play testing this system with my new group from 1st level onward. I realize that bonuses to skills within this system will be crazy powerful, but my hope is that this will be mitigated by the fact that GM adjudication will be the deciding factor in whether or not the player is rolling a +yes or a +decent on their roll.

For example, if we are assuming that we are playing out a scene like the first fight in the new Sherlock Holmes movie (the 1st one, not Game of Shadows) the skill in question could vary widely. We could say that the Skill Maneuver could be a Heal check, considering that his medical knowledge would be needed to deal such devastating blows. Or we could say that the Skill Maneuver could be a Stealth check since Sherlock wouldn't be able to start his assault without catching his foe by surprise. Now I can hear you saying, "Wait, one Skill Maneuver did all that?" No. He's obviously a 10+ level character, he probably has the ability to perform two or more Skill Maneuvers in the same turn.

I wouldn't allow a player to abort a maneuver. If the have done a terrible job of describing their action and that results in a Skill Check they are not decent at, then they can deal with it and learn from their mistakes. Then again, I have a sheet with all of my player's Melee Attack, Ranged Attack, Saves, and Skill Checks all in one place. This makes it easier for me to make challenges on the fly.

I would allow any feats that modify Combat Maneuvers to modify Skill Maneuvers that are replicating them. I realize that the SMD of certain monsters or foes would be rather high, but this represent the difficulty of 'pulling-one-over' on a high level monster or foe. If the BBEG has a SMD of NOPE then it probably is going to be too difficult to perform a Skill Maneuver on him without help. Flanking, Aid-Another, and other bonuses should apply as they would for attack rolls. I'm debating whether or not to allow True-Strike.

ben-zayb
2015-02-21, 06:51 PM
In 3.5, the ToB subsystem have disciplines, each of which are tied to a particular skill. I believe there is a Martial Discipline Compendium somewhere in the Homebrew subforums, which you could check out for ideas.

The problem in 3.5 using skill checks is that you can optimize it to the moon.
Not sure if this is also a problem for PF.

malonkey1
2015-02-21, 08:07 PM
In 3.5, the ToB subsystem have disciplines, each of which are tied to a particular skill. I believe there is a Martial Discipline Compendium somewhere in the Homebrew subforums, which you could check out for ideas.

The problem in 3.5 using skill checks is that you can optimize it to the moon.
Not sure if this is also a problem for PF.

Skills in PF are harder to pump (at least, harder to pump to the insane levels of 3.5), so it's not as big a deal.