PDA

View Full Version : Two Weapon Defence questions

Melcar
2015-02-16, 05:49 PM
Hellow fellow scribew...

I was wondering if Shield Spcialization could be used in conjunction with Two weapon defence, to give an extra AC?

A_S
2015-02-16, 05:59 PM
No. Both shields and the Two Weapon Defense feat provide Shield bonuses to your AC. Multiple bonuses of the same type generally do not stack in D&D, unless a rule specifically says otherwise.

Just as an aside, those are also two of the worst feats in D&D, regardless of their stacking behavior.

Greenish
2015-02-16, 06:03 PM
To elaborate the above, Shield Specialization requires you to select specific shield type (light, heavy, or buckler), and only works when you wield said shield, so you can't use Shield Specialization to boost the shield bonus from Two-Weapon Defense.

Izmister
2015-02-16, 08:23 PM
You could ask the DM to fix that for you. Seriously I hate the no Stacking shield AC rule.:furious:

torrasque666
2015-02-16, 08:27 PM
You could ask the DM to fix that for you. Seriously I hate the no Stacking shield AC rule.:furious:

Hell, there's a 3rd party feat that does exactly that. My DM did that for free, and then regretted it when I was wielding 3 tower shields due to having 4 hands.

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-16, 08:39 PM
Hell, there's a 3rd party feat that does exactly that. My DM did that for free, and then regretted it when I was wielding 3 tower shields due to having 4 hands.

Pfft, say hello to this ghost that does a touch attack.....

Tommy2255
2015-02-16, 08:48 PM
I think there's an easier solution than letting it stack (and less open to abuse by those with many arms): just let him take Shield Specialization (Two-Weapon Defense) or Shield Specialization (parry) or however you want to phrase it. Two-Weapon Defense is essentially acting as a shield, let him take Shield Specialization in it if he wants. That way it doesn't have to stack, it's a direct bonus to the same thing.

torrasque666
2015-02-16, 08:52 PM
Pfft, say hello to this ghost that does a touch attack.....
And my Shield Ward feat says hello back.

NOTE: Shield Ward, while requiring Shield Specialization, does not reference it further and only mentions "shield" thus allowing it to be used for all shields rather than the one chosen for Shield Spec.

Greenish
2015-02-16, 09:00 PM
NOTE: Shield Ward, while requiring Shield Specialization, does not reference it further and only mentions "shield" thus allowing it to be used for all shields rather than the one chosen for Shield Spec.Then again, Parrying Shield also works with any shield (or, actually, anything that grants shield bonus), and doesn't require Shield Specialization.

torrasque666
2015-02-16, 09:01 PM
Then again, Parrying Shield also works with any shield (or, actually, anything that grants shield bonus), and doesn't require Shield Specialization.
True. Even better.

Darrin
2015-02-16, 09:04 PM
Shape Soulmeld: Wormtail Belt is still better. One feat, +2 AC bonus. If you absolutely have to have a shield bonus, wear a Dwarven Buckler-Axe.

malonkey1
2015-02-16, 10:12 PM
Shape Soulmeld: Wormtail Belt is still better. One feat, +2 AC bonus. If you absolutely have to have a shield bonus, wear a Dwarven Buckler-Axe.

+3 if you're an Azurin.

More if you're high enough level and willing to have a permanencied Soul Boon.