PDA

View Full Version : Multi class question

Spacehamster
2015-02-16, 06:53 PM
So quick question, how functional would this build be?
Mtn dwarf vengence paladin 6, rest into tempest cleric.
Would gain a decent reaction, good saves and more spells
compared to going just pure paladin, loose a feat and 14hp.

WickerNipple
2015-02-16, 08:32 PM

Paladin 6/Cleric 14 works very well.

It should be noted it's not *that* many more spells in the end. Paladin 20 and Pa/Cl 6/14 have the exact same number of lvl 1-5 slots. The mc cleric version then gets (1) each of 6,7,8,9. (Not at all insignificant, but it's not massively more smites or something.)

What it does do is get you those spell slots faster. You'll cap those level 1-5s at character level 13 doing it this way, instead of waiting til 19. This is a pretty big deal.

I think it's very worth it.

-- (8/12 is also very good, nets you that extra early feat, the 7th lvl paladin ability and all you lose is the one 9th lvl cleric spell that you won't get til lvl 20 anyway. This is my preference, but mostly cause I like Oath of Ancients best.)

Naanomi
2015-02-16, 09:05 PM
Note you don't get the saving throw proficiencies of the new class; although if you are rocking the pally aura it doesn't matter as much

MeeposFire
2015-02-17, 01:09 AM

You also lose a little bit of damage (imp smite where you deal +1d8 damage per it whereas the cleric only deals extra damage once a round). Not much but worth mentioning.

Spacehamster
2015-02-17, 03:58 AM
You also lose a little bit of damage (imp smite where you deal +1d8 damage per it whereas the cleric only deals extra damage once a round). Not much but worth mentioning.

true but instead deal 2d8 extra once per round instead of 1d8 always so will net out the same won´t it? :)

Tenmujiin
2015-02-17, 07:43 AM
true but instead deal 2d8 extra once per round instead of 1d8 always so will net out the same won´t it? :)

Probably higher with single weapon and about the same with two weapons since you only need to land 1 of your two attacks to get the 2d8 from cleric while the paladin 2d8 needs you to land both

MeeposFire
2015-02-17, 08:04 PM

To be honest I thought that the second d8 came online at level 17 for whatever reason. Granted if you were going to go with a weapon choice that allowed for more attacks such as polearm master, two weapons, and/or effects like haste then the paladin ability begins to look better but even then that is a minor difference.

Tenmujiin
2015-02-18, 12:41 PM
To be honest I thought that the second d8 came online at level 17 for whatever reason. Granted if you were going to go with a weapon choice that allowed for more attacks such as polearm master, two weapons, and/or effects like haste then the paladin ability begins to look better but even then that is a minor difference.

Even with three attacks (2 normal attacks and a bonus) the 2d8 once a round is still probably going to be better since you have to land more than 1/2 your attacks to even keep up with the 1d8/attack

Spacehamster
2015-02-18, 01:37 PM
Even with three attacks (2 normal attacks and a bonus) the 2d8 once a round is still probably going to be better since you have to land more than 1/2 your attacks to even keep up with the 1d8/attack

Plus if going tempest cleric you get a 2d8 Thunder dmg reaction option when getting hit. :)

Tenmujiin
2015-02-19, 03:16 AM
Plus if going tempest cleric you get a 2d8 Thunder dmg reaction option when getting hit. :)

That is one of my favorite abilities in 5e tbh, the number of "1v1" duels my cleric won by slapping his enemy for 16 (channel divinity to maximise thunder damage) and knocking them back...