PDA

View Full Version : Character build help

Mortemor138
2015-02-16, 07:06 PM
Hi there,

I'm starting a new campaign this Sunday and would like some help building my character as I'm still relatively new to playing D&D. This will be my first time being in a game from the beginning to hopefully the end. I've decided to make a bard, but would be open to suggestions of selecting a different class From what the DM has said all I can use is the PHB to build him. The following are his instructions

Character Creation Info:
- Stats: 32 point buy
- Deities: As the Eberron Campaign Setting. PCs may select a patron or follow the pantheon as a whole.
- Starting Level: One
- Starting Equipment: Characters may possess up to 100 gold worth of non-combat equipment, as well as padded armor, two daggers, a quarterstaff (or club, or both), and a sling with 20 bullets. Part of the initial quests will provide additional/improved equipment. The campaign area features VERY cold winters, plan accordingly.
- Allowed Races: All PHB.
- Allowed Classes: Any PHB class, and Racial Paragons from Unearthed Arcana. I will also consider any other classes that have an inherent religious connection that is not associated with Asian themes.
- Preferred Classes: Cleric, Crusader, Monk, Paladin, Favored Soul, Fighter, Rogue
Note: A number of events will occur in the course of this campaign that the PCs may find themselves in prolonged combat with very limited access to healing under conditions that will hinder movement. While it is not required, I strongly encourage character options that allow for the use of heavy armor.
Note: This game will utilize quests that are essentially skill-based challenges, and the PCs will not have access to many large population centers. It is encouraged that the players give serious consideration to building characters with a well-rounded approach…crafting, knowledge, profession, and social skills will play an important part of this game and be more frequently used than the (traditionally) more combat-oriented ones. Additionally, crafting will follow the rules in the PHB…yes, skill checks will be required to actually make an item and the associated penalties incurred. Access to magic items will be limited, so plan on making these as well.
- Traits & Flaws: PCs may have two traits from Unearthed Arcana. If the player wants to use flaws, they may take a maximum of two flaws at first level, but these flaws must be rolled randomly in my presence.
- Starting Area. The group will be at the dock of Port Donigen, a small village on the eastern coast of the continent of Vladistok. You can flesh out your backgrounds at your leisure, but please inform me if you have any specific plans for your characters (PrC’s, ect).
- Special Rules.
1. Preferred classes are considered “favored” classes. PCs that advance solely in preferred classes (this includes multi-classing, if the specific class rule set permits it) gain one of the following benefits at first level and each new level:
a. One additional hit point, or
b. One additional skill point (this point is not multiplied at 1st level).
If an otherwise-eligible character ever advances in a class that is not preferred, this benefit no longer applies, but the PC may keep any extra hit/skill points already gained.
2. This campaign is going to be very religion-focused. As such, a number of additional items will be included, the specifics of which will be addressed in a separate document.

with this in mind how should I go about making my character? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.