PDA

View Full Version : Requip Knight [PEACH]

Oko and Qailee
2015-02-17, 12:54 AM
So I've been playing around with the idea of making a character than can swap weapon/armor enhancements. I realize you can do this with Leadership + Fiend of possession, but that's a decently sized can of worms and you end up playing something absurdly powerful. So, here is my take on a Requip Knight. I understand the balance is probably really rough around the edges, but I just wrote it up as a basic concept, if the idea is liked then I will spend more time making it more balanced.

On the battlefield the Requip Knight is a terror to behold. As cavalry charges the Requip Knight has a Longspear readied against the charge. When the enemy troops approach, she has a reach weapon prepared and when they flee, a bow. When dragons begin dropping fire upon her, she is resistance. Flexibility in arms is the strategy of the Requip Knight, able to convert her weapons and armor to accommodate a variety of situations through a use of arcane magic only understood by few.

The Requip Knight

Alignment: Any, the Requip Knight has no favored alignment
Hit Dice: d8
Class Skills: The Requip Knights class skills are: Appraise, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: Dungeoneering, Ride, Sleight Of Hand, Spot, Swim, Use Magic Device.
Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int (4x at first level)

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Requip Pool
Max Enhancement
Presets:

+1
+2
+0
+2
Requip: Weapon, Armor, Shield
+0

+2
+3
+0
+3

+0

+3
+3
+1
+3
Requip: Magic Weapon
+1

+4
+4
+1
+4
Rapid Requip
+1

+5
+4
+1
+4
Heavy Armor Proficiency
+1

+6/+1
+5
+2
+5
Requip: Magic Armor/Shield
+1

+7/+2
+5
+2
+5
Tower Shield Proficiency
+2

+8/+3
+6
+2
+6

+2

+9/+4
+6
+3
+6
Requip: Material
+2

+10/+5
+7
+3
+7

+2

+11/+6
+7
+3
+7
Exotic Weapon Proficiency
+3

+12/+7
+8
+4
+8

+3

+13/+8
+8
+4
+8

+3

+14/+9
+9
+4
+9
Requip: Attribute
+4

+15/+10
+9
+5
+9

+4

+16/+11/+6/+1
+10
+5
+10

+4

+17/+12/+7/+2
+10
+5
+10

+5

+18/+13/+8/+3
+11
+6
+11

+5

+19/+14/+9/+4
+11
+6
+11

+5

+20/+15/+10/+5
+12
+6
+12
Requip: Wondrous Item
+6

Class Features:

Armor and Weapon Proficiency: A Requip Knight is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and with all shields except tower shields.

Requip: A Requip Knight is a master in transformative magic for weapons. As part of a move action, the Requip Knight can reach into her stored arcane energy to convert any weapon, armor, or shield she wields into another weapon, armor, or shield that she is proficient with. The Requip Knight is limited in the number of times she can convert a weapon, armor, or shield by her Requip Pool, which is equal to her Requip Knight level. Converting a weapon, armor, or shield costs 1 point of the Requip Knights requip pool to convert. Once changed the weapon, armor, or shield remains as that weapon, armor, or shield until 3 rounds after the Requip Knight ceases to wield that armor, weapon, or shield. If the weapon, armor, or shield is not wielded for 3 rounds it reverts into its original form. If the weapon is made of a special material or is masterwork, the new weapon retains that quality. A Requip Knight may replenish her requip pool by receiving 8 hours of uninterrupted rest.

At third level the Requip Knight convert a weapon into a new magic weapon. Regardless of the weapon converted, the new weapon is masterwork, though it retains the previous weapon material. The Requip Knight may add any enhancement bonuses to the newly converted weapon, though the enhancement bonus may not exceed a maximum enhancement of +1 (this amount goes up at 7th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th level.) Converting a weapon to a magic weapon costs a point from the requip pool equal to the new enhancement bonus (ex. Converting a short sword to a +1 keen rapier costs 2 points from the Requip Knights requip pool). At sixth level the Requip Knight may do the same with armor and shields. If a weapon, shield, or armor enhancement involves a listed price instead of an enhancement bonus, then treat for the purpose of Requipping it's enhancement bonus is the enhancement bonus that equals the same price as the listed price, rounded up (ex. A magical enhancement that costs 7500 gold would count as a +2 Enhancement).

At ninth level the Requip Knight may change the material of any weapon, armor, or shield that she is converting. Doing so costs a requip pool point for every 5000 gold of increased cost associated with that material for the newly formed armor, weapon, or shield (round up). For example, if a Requip Knight chooses to convert her leather armor into Mithril Breastplate it would cost her 1 points from her requip pool since the price to make breastplate from mithril is equal to 4000 gold. If she chooses to make +2 Mithril Breastplate, it would cost her 3 points (2 for the enhancement and 2 for the mithril). Changing an equipment material works under a different maximum cap than a magical enhancement, even though it may be done at the same time as a magical enhancement (ex. If your enhancement cap is +2, you can still form +2 Mithril Breastplate).

At fourteenth level the Requip Knight may requip any of her attributes. To do so she decreases one attribute by an amount up to her maximum enhancement bonus and grants a Requip Bonus to another by the same amount. This conversion costs a number of requip points equal to the Requip Bonus granted. Both the attribute decrease and the Requip Bonus last one hour for every two levels of Requip Knight.

At twentieth level, the Requip Knight may convert any wondrous item on her person to another wondrous item of equal or lesser value. This costs the Requip Knight 1 point from her reserve pool for every 6000 gold of the price of the new item. A Requip Knight may not use this ability to an item more expensive than her Max Enhancement * 8000 gold. To do so she must be aware of the item by making a DC20 + Caster Level of the item Knowledge: Dungeoneering check at the time of conversion, or else she fails the conversion and loses the requip pool points needed for the conversion.

Rapid Requip: At fourth level the Requip Knight may convert any object that she is capable of converting as a swift action instead of a move action.

Heavy Armor Proficiency: At fiftth level the Requip Knight gains Heavy Armor Proficiency as a bonus feat.

Presets: At sixth level the Requip Knight learns how to preset an entire collection of gear into one set of equipment. Upon reaching sixth level and every two levels after she may choose a weapon, shield, and/or armor combination of enhancements (or material once she gains the ability to do so) that she constitutes as a preset. For example, she might define a preset as being a +1 Flaming Long Sword and +1 Energy Immunity Breastplate. Once she defines that set she knows it permanently. Once a preset is defined, a Requip Knight may convert all equivalent gear she is wearing into that preset at once. Any individual item in her preset may not exceed her maximum enhancement bonus at the time she defines a preset. Requiping an entire set costs a number of points equal to the enhancement bonus of each item of the set plus one additional point for each item after the first.
Every 4 levels after her sixth level as well as at level twenty (10,14,18,20), the Requip Knight may forget one of her previous presets and replace it with a new preset.

Tower Shield Proficiency: At seventh level the Requip Knight gains Tower Shield Proficiency as a bonus feat.

Multiple Requip: At tenth level, the Requip Knight may convert two different objects at a time (example, the Requip Knight may convert both her sword and shield into a new sword and shield; the maximum enhancement for each piece of gear is calculated separately). Doing so costs on additional point from her Requip pool. At fifteenth level she may convert three objects at a time and at twenthieth level she may convert four.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency: At eleventh level the Requip Knight gains the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat in one weapon as a bonus feat.

Increased Pool:
Prerequisites: Ability to Requip
Your daily requip pool increases by 2.
Special: This feat may be multiple times, each time it is taken it grants an additional increase in requip pool equal to the number of times you have previously taken this feat.

Increased Enhancement:
Prerequisites: Requip Knight 3
Your Maximum Enhancement pool increases by 1
Special: This feat may be taken twice, the second time requires 9 levels of Requip Knight

Instant Requip:
Prerequisites: Requip pool of 6
You may requip as an immediate action, but doing so costs an additional 4 points of your requip pool.

NightWolf16a
2015-02-19, 12:27 AM
Neat idea, but I think there are some flaws in the design at the moment.

While giving free exotic weapon proficiency is cool and all, granting heavy armor and tower shield proficiency at level 15 and 17 are simply way too late. It could probably be done much earlier (e.g. lv 5 and 7, which are currently empty at the moment).
The action economy of reequipping is also terrible at the moment. Without the Rapid Reequip feat, it takes a whole standard action to change gear, meaning the Reequip Knight (RK) cannot even make a single attack. Even with the feat, RK is still limited to attacking only once per round.
There are various solutions dealing with action economy issue of reequipping. I can think of two:
Give "reequip as a move action" as a class feature, add a "You may reequip as a swift action if you can already reequip as a move action" clause to Rapid Reequip feat.
As higher level class features, incorporate reequip as part of an action could be a neat idea. e.g. At level 7, RK can reequip as part of a move action, allowing pounce charger or Travel Devotion users to still attack even after reequipping. At level 15, RK can reequip as part of a single attack, giving RK tremendous nova-potential as the RK whacks away with 4-5 different enhancement effect.

Just my thought.

Oko and Qailee
2015-03-02, 11:27 PM
I agree with most of what you said. I wanted the requip knight to eventually get those feats (while not starting with them) but I didn't want to front load the class by putting them all near the start of the class (and I didn't want to put them there and move all the cooler class features to later).

I also agree with the action economy deal. I made the feat come as a class feature instead. I still withheld it from level 1 since being able to swap any weapon/armor is pretty good at level 1, even if the economy is terrible. I simply removed the feat since there's already a feat allowing for requiping as an immediate action. Given the kind of stuff you can pull with Requiping, I don't think I need to make swift requiping a free feature.

I also swapped Requip: Wondrous item and Requip Spell. I also gave Multiple Requipping by level 10 to help with the action economy problem.

Rainbownaga
2015-03-09, 05:51 AM
I tried to do an Erza class some time ago, but I think your concept is more elagant, albeit a fair bit underpowered at the moment.

3/4 bab and only medium armour in exchange for swapping weapons (at a slower speed than dropping them and just pulling out another) leaves them worse off than a fighter.

Since it already has a daily limit, swift action shifting seems reasonable from the start, and you can bump it to immediate with the feat. (Being able to switch to a reach weapon partway through a charge is too badass to dissallow).

Similarly, you should be more generous with the early levels; It needs full bab. I know you don't want to front end the class, but at the moment it seems you've gone too far the other way.

You should probably also have a mechanism for granting enhancements that are measured in gold cost rather that plusses. Would be a shame not to be able to mimic Erzas x-empress armour sets.

Looking forward to how this turns out.

Oko and Qailee
2015-03-09, 10:04 AM
So, I get the analogy, and understand the class is starting off pretty poor, but at 3rd level the class can now get 2k gold in a free weapon, the fighter has to pay for all those weapons he's buy and drawing, he can't just have a +1 Bow and a +1 sword at level 1. By 7th level they are getting 16k gold in free gear if they choose. This is much better than a fighter IMO (not including if you took any feats to increase your pool/max Enhancement bonus). But I get what you're saying and "better than fighter" doesn't amount to much. I'll swap the BAB and see what I can do about action economy.

I tried a little bit with gold cost for Requip: Material. But there is this annoying thing about gold costs... and that is that they all scale exponentially. Which is annoying since most abilities scale pretty linearly. So for me to do gold pieces I need to make it an exponential GP increase so that the class gets linear enhancement growth. While it works, it's a pain to track and I'd like to avoid it if I can keep it simple.

I actually think by level 7 (provided you get the feat, and you will the feat is a no brainer IMO, even with swift swapping already as a class feature it would be a must take), this class becomes strong. Being able to immediately swap your armor to resistances or DR or just more AC in the middle of an enemies attack is very valuable. Immediate actions can be used for swift actions, so you can start fights with a +Initiative weapon and swap to a +Damage weapon.

I'll make changes after work, thank you very much for the feedback.

Oko and Qailee
2015-03-09, 10:20 AM
You know what, I think you're right. I'm gonna make a bunch of changes and I think you'll like them.

Edit: So I made the following changes:
+ Allowed requipping as part of a move action at level 1
+ Increased the Requip Pool by 1 at level 1
+ Made Rapid Requip at level 4 allow you to change equipment as a Swift action
+ Increased the gold/enhancement bonus of Requip: Material and made it a separate Maximum than the actual enhancement (so a +2 Mithril Breastplate can be made even if you have only a +2 Max Enhancement)
+ Introduced Presets, allowing you to store combinations of armor/weapons/shields into a single set that you can requip all at once (for increased pool cost).
+Introduced a clause to allow you to Requip equipment with a listed price instead of an enhancement bonus.
- Removed Requip Spell. This is so I can buff the Requip Knight further without having to worry about them having spellcasting.

Sniccups
2016-09-01, 03:03 PM
This is nice. Do you mind if I make a 5E version of this?

Oko and Qailee
2016-09-03, 11:34 PM
This is nice. Do you mind if I make a 5E version of this?

Be my guest! Wow, can't believe this came back up.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2016-09-06, 12:47 PM
I feel as if i have been one-upped.:smallconfused:
I am conflicted.
On the one hand, I like my class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?321991). But on the other hand, this is just better(and its not even finished!).