PDA

View Full Version : Ur-priest Lich

black-jack
2015-02-17, 02:08 AM
I had a really cool idea for an Ur-Priest who took his war against the gods into the afterlife by becoming a lich. However, Ur-Priest caster level has an exceptionally hard hard time reaching 11, and then the +4 LA from lich makes it a very high-level character. While this is ok, I feel like I missed something while looking at this, so I figured I would ask the playground; how would YOU make an Ur-Priest lich?

Kraken
2015-02-17, 02:18 AM
Wizard5/Mindbender1/Ur-Priest2/Mystic Theurge8/Lich4 qualifies for lich easily while getting full Ur-Priest casting and 14th level wizard casting. By my reckoning, you'll likely meet the caster level requirement for becoming a lich before you can afford the 120,000 GP it costs to make the phylactery.

Elric VIII
2015-02-17, 02:29 AM
Walker in the Waste from Sandstorm lets you become a dry lich (basically the same thing as a normal lich but with the ability to make sand mummies) by level 16.

Try this:
Savage Bard 2/Wizard 3/Ur Priest 1/Walker in the Waste 10.

Savage Bard gets you a good fort save plus bluff as a class skill. You also need to take arcane domain for the Sand domain to get the correct spells known.

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there is a better combination of classes for 1-5 that fits your specific build. Another option is to abuse Incarnate Construct on a Warforged to get a -2 LA.

Although, the best advice I can give you is to look into the Necropolitan template from Libris Mortis. You essentially become an intelligent undead at the cost of 1 level loss (provided you are at least level 3, otherwise you crumble to dust). You don't gain the lich SLAs, but they suck compared to spells, anyway.

darksolitaire
2015-02-17, 04:32 AM
Practised Spellcaster, and then levels in Hierophant PrC from DMG.

Try this:
Savage Bard 2/Wizard 3/Ur Priest 1/Walker in the Waste 10.

Savage Bard gets you a good fort save plus bluff as a class skill. You also need to take arcane domain for the Sand domain to get the correct spells known.

Arcane Domain doesn't work since Walker Texas Ranger specifies that you need to cast domain spells as divine spells.

Urpriest
2015-02-17, 06:31 AM
Practised Spellcaster, and then levels in Hierophant PrC from DMG.

You don't even need both, really. Practiced Spellcaster and 7 levels of Urpriest will do it, as will 10 levels of Urpriest and 1 that progresses casting, as will 4 levels of an arcane class before you take 9 levels of Urpriest.

black-jack
2015-02-17, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. So either Practiced spellcaster or levels in walker in the waste to qualify for lichdom. Also the undead templates are nice, but not as fluffy as calling yourself a lich.

torrasque666
2015-02-17, 09:42 PM
I was about to say, before the titular Giant arrived, that an Ur-Priest's caster level is equal to (Ur-Priest levels)+(0.5*(all other casting levels but cleric)) So 10 levels of Ur-Priest (or class that advances Ur-Priest) and 1 more casting class.