PDA

View Full Version : Golden Boy

Stygofthedump
2015-02-17, 04:41 AM
Has anyone built a lucky diviner to get re rolls? Are there more die adjustments? Would one stay diviner or switch to happy go lucky bard? Ideas please

Tenmujiin
2015-02-17, 07:40 AM
Would one stay diviner or switch to happy go lucky bard? Ideas please

Arcane Trickster Rogue would be my choice, small dips into wizard are really good for both them and Eldritch Knights. I'd take Trickster 4/Diviner 2/Trickster X, grabbing lucky at Trickster 4 or start as human and go Rogue 1 (for skills)/Diviner 2/Trickster X

DireSickFish
2015-02-17, 08:51 AM
And be a hafling for re-rolls on 1's.

WickerNipple
2015-02-17, 09:50 AM
I did try to talk a friend into playing a Lucky Halfling Diviner, but he was having none of that due to unfortunate halfling racism.

Still waiting to see someone try it out.

Elusivemike
2015-02-17, 12:29 PM
I feel that kind of character might end up pissing off certain DM's that I know...

Personally, that's all the more reason to try and play one! Haha! Thanks for the next character idea!

Stygofthedump
2015-02-17, 11:59 PM
I did try to talk a friend into playing a Lucky Halfling Diviner, but he was having none of that due to unfortunate halfling racism.

Still waiting to see someone try it out.

Yep. I've never played 5th ed but when we are ready I'm pretty keen on this. It's always that one roll that kills pc's.

Stygofthedump
2015-02-18, 12:05 AM
Arcane Trickster Rogue would be my choice, small dips into wizard are really good for both them and Eldritch Knights. I'd take Trickster 4/Diviner 2/Trickster X, grabbing lucky at Trickster 4 or start as human and go Rogue 1 (for skills)/Diviner 2/Trickster X

would this work with halfling? Why trickster first? Thanks

JNAProductions
2015-02-18, 12:21 AM
Trickster first for skills.

DireSickFish
2015-02-18, 10:00 AM
Trickster first for skills.

Doesn't get you any re-rolls or anything. I'd drop it and just got straight cleric. Multiclassing doesn't really serve any purpose if your goal is to go for re-rolls. Unless there are some re-rolls in the divination wizard.

WickerNipple
2015-02-18, 10:40 AM
Unless there are some re-rolls in the divination wizard.

Heh, yes there are. That's the point.

Tenmujiin
2015-02-18, 12:43 PM
would this work with halfling? Why trickster first? Thanks

Halfling would make this even better. Trickster first because rogues get two extra skills if you take your first level in rogue but only one extra skill if you multiclass into rogue.

Doesn't get you any re-rolls or anything. I'd drop it and just got straight cleric. Multiclassing doesn't really serve any purpose if your goal is to go for re-rolls. Unless there are some re-rolls in the divination wizard.

The point of going rogue is for flavor more than anything.

treecko
2015-02-18, 02:58 PM
I was thinking of playing the exact character you described. He would be an avid gambler who uses all the luck shenanigans to win constantly(supplemented, of course, by all the arcane trickster goodies). The portent ability in general seems really strong. I would say divination is the best school for any 2 level dip in wizard.

Stygofthedump
2015-02-18, 11:26 PM

There are. Does cleric also offer re rolls?

Snowbluff
2015-02-19, 11:29 AM
I'm very interested in this.

Yagyujubei
2015-02-19, 11:44 AM
-Lucky
-Halfling
-Wild sorc
-Diviner wizard
-lore bard

by their powers combined, you get all the dice modifications.

DireSickFish
2015-02-19, 12:09 PM
There are. Does cleric also offer re rolls?

No I think I was just being dumb and thought we were talking about a cleric class but we were really talking about wizards.

bokodasu
2015-02-19, 01:21 PM
I just made a Lucky Diviner NPC to annoy challenge my PCs. They're not supposed to attack her, but they might, so... anyway, hadn't thought of making her a Halfling, maybe I'll add that in, thanks!

Person_Man
2015-02-19, 01:48 PM
In addition to re-rolls, you might want to consider the importance of getting Advantage, which you can get from the Help Action, Enhance Ability, and many other sources (depending on the context). There's also the Guidance Cantrip, Bless, and Pass Without Trace.

Ideally, you'd have another player that you tag-team with to get the most out of this concept. Maybe a Lore Bard partnered with a Diviner Cleric. Working together, you could pass pretty much anything.

Stygofthedump
2015-02-20, 09:19 PM
-Lucky
-Halfling
-Wild sorc
-Diviner wizard
-lore bard

by their powers combined, you get all the dice modifications.

Nice list. Now to build the monster

DragonSinged
2015-02-20, 11:39 PM
I am absolutely interested in seeing how someone would build this character to be playable from level 1. Sounds like, if it doesn't end up too weak, it could be very fun to play.

Stygofthedump
2015-03-18, 04:33 PM
In addition to re-rolls, you might want to consider the importance of getting Advantage, which you can get from the Help Action, Enhance Ability, and many other sources (depending on the context). There's also the Guidance Cantrip, Bless, and Pass Without Trace.

Ideally, you'd have another player that you tag-team with to get the most out of this concept. Maybe a Lore Bard partnered with a Diviner Cleric. Working together, you could pass pretty much anything.

So a tag team.
Are you suggesting wiz diviner 2 / knowledge cleric X with pure Lore bard?

how about a team of four with the pure focus on dice control? Maybe a good challange for playground!

MrStabby
2015-03-19, 08:37 AM
I would also be tempted by arcane trickster following on from the diviner. I see the build as having two key features. One is a lot of re-rolls to use through the day.

The second part is concentrating as much of the effect of the character in as few rolls as possible. I see it as a nice set of tools for staying alive but also I see sneak attack fitting this plan. Every time you miss with sneak attack it is a big load of damage dropped. If a fighter were to miss attacks then they would be likely to have more. An alternative is a quivering palm monk where you can make an enemy fail a save vs death. An alternative would be to take a little assassin so that a good initiative roll will give you another turn of criticals?

Alternatively you could go for something like lore bard and create the ultimate RP class. Be charming and talk people into things - with expertise in persuasion, high charisma and great re-rolls you just talk around combat rather than just killing everything. Plot-wise bluff or intimidation rolls can be as important as several encounters.