PDA

View Full Version : [MITP II] Nightclaws' Creations

Nightclaws
2007-04-06, 05:23 PM
The Dretanions
(Picture to come soon)

These creatures are a medium sized humanoid figure that stand to about 5-6 feet. They have no mouths and feel through energy which enters through the eyes. The eyes also change color according to moods. They are generally unarmed.

Size/Type: Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 8d10 (44 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+10
Attack: +11 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: Smash +11 melee (1d6+5)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./8 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Lust for Energy
Special Qualities: Darkvision 40ft, Fast Healing 4
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +10
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 12
Skills: Heal +12, Listen +8, Spot +8, Sense Motive +11, Survival +10, Search +8
Feats: Improved Grapple
Environment: Heavliy Wooded areas
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Mainly Chaotic Neutral

"Dretanions do not speak, They express themselves with eyes, WHich is usually red for anger. A dretanian doesn't hunt for food, Only energy, It kills something and stores up any energy found in the body, It absorbs such energy into its body through it's eyes. Anyone who has watched this happening say the eyes glaze over and thin streams of purple enter the eyes. They hunt with brute force, They take down anything that gets in their way and they will immeadiatly go for something that has large amounts of energy, Usually a spellcaster. Dretanions are loners due to whatever they come into contact with, They decide to absorb the energy. Dretanions only meet once a year to reproduce, Although their is no visual differance between male and female, And once again if they are old enough to die. Dretanions need to die in pairs in order to be reborn as pure energy into the sky, So they believe." - Written by Dreta Giovanni, Translator of Dretanion runes.

Combat: The Dretanions are usually angry, So they attack whenever they can, Which is usually all the time.

Lust for Energy (ex): As a free action, Dretanions may enter a lust of energy, Whilst in this form, They gain a +5 to strength bonus and an extra attack per round. They suffer a -2 penalty to AC and takes 2 points of subdual damage each turn from exhaustion.

Icewalker
2007-04-06, 06:07 PM
This needs a bit of description. What are they, what made them, in what ways and how do they hunt and absorb energy, etc.

Also, if their only attack is a 1d3 slam (which should be 1d3+5 not +3 if they have 21 str.) they shouldn't be CR 6.

Nightclaws
2007-04-06, 06:09 PM
Ill edit it right now, Thanks for your comment :D

Icewalker
2007-04-06, 06:17 PM
Grapple bonus is off too, seems like most of the stats are written as if they had +2 or +3 str bonus, not +5. Initiative is a bit off, should only get +1, from the dex bonus. The AC dex bonus should be +1, not +2 as well.

Mostly mechanics and lack of description, but other than that I think this is quite good.

Nightclaws
2007-04-06, 06:21 PM
I guess I messed up on my first creation, Ah well, Edit this one and back to the drawing board.

Icewalker
2007-04-06, 06:22 PM
I suggest also adding a post with a link here in the MitP II thread. It's sticky now.

I'd say once this is edited it'd be a good addition to the book.

Nightclaws
2007-04-06, 06:24 PM
Ok, Ill do that now, Thanks man :D

Icewalker
2007-04-06, 06:29 PM
Looks good to me. I'd say lower the CR though. An 8th level party could tear this thing apart. I'd lower it all the way down to about 3, maybe even 2. Or up the damage to 1d6+5 and make it 3 or 4.

Nightclaws
2007-04-06, 06:33 PM
Done and done, If theres only thing I love about this forum, Its that people are helpful.

Matthew
2007-04-06, 10:14 PM
Armour Class appears to be off too. Should be AC 17 with +1 Dexterity and +6 Natural Armour. I think that the Challenge Rating is probably too low. CR 5 or 6 might be more appropriate.

Nightclaws
2007-04-07, 10:23 AM
Oh yea, Forgot to change that when I changed the dex

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-20, 12:29 PM
Since they feed on magical energy, why not give them detect magic as an always-on ability?

knightsaline
2007-04-20, 11:12 PM
May I ask where the LA is? What if I want to play as one of these things that remind me of a miralukian from star wars?

Matthew
2007-04-21, 12:41 PM
Melee Attack Bonus still seems to be off. BAB +8, Strength +5 = Melee +13, I think, and why a Reach of 8'?

Seems like an interesting beasty, though.

Danu
2007-04-22, 09:30 PM
Okay... several interesting things jumped out at me just now.

Type/ Hit Dice: Humanoids have a d8 HD, not a d10. In addition, their base attack is 3/4 of their HD, like that of a cleric. I think what you want is a monstrous humanoid, which also had a d8 HD, but a base attack equal to their HD.

Attacks: As humanoid, the creature's attack would be +11, so you're right there. A monstrous humanoid would be +13. Rather then 'smash' you might want to go with the normal 'slam' attack. They're likely pretty much the same. Also, if the creature only has one natural attack, then the attack is Str x1.5. So it's 'smash' should be 1d6+7.

Space/Reach: Reach in D&D 3.5 is usually in 5ft increments, since all battles take place in 1 inch squares that signify 5 feet. Why does the creature have an 8 ft reach?

Special Attack/Qualities: If the creature has the Improved Grapple feat, it doesn't normally need the improved grab ability. Improved grab requires the creature to hit with a natural attack, and usually works only against creatures at least one size category smaller. If you want the creature to have Improved Grab, specify the natural attack (the smash) and specify whether it works on Medium creatures. This information should go in the Combat section.

Also, if you decide to make the creature a monstrous humanoid, it will automatically gain darkvision 60 ft.

Saves: Humanoids have 1 good save, usually Reflex. Monstrous humanoids have good Reflex and Will saves. Here's what the base saves should be (not including ability score modifiers). Humanoid: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2. Monstrous Humanoid: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +5.

Abilities: I'd suggest increasing the Str to 22 and the Wis to 16. That would increase the attack to +12 (humanoid) or +14 (monstrous humanoid) with 1d6+9 damage. Most of it's skill seem to be Wisdom based, so a +3 bonus would be quite beneficial to it.

Skill Points: Both humanoids and monstrous humanoids have 2+Int skill points per HD, x4 at the first HD. The creature should have 22 skill points (2x4 for the first HD, plus 2 every HD thereafter). You've given it 47 skill points. This doesn't include any racial bonuses to skill it might have.

Feats: The creature should have three feats (not including any bonus feats).

Environment: This entry comes in two different pieces: climate and terrain. Climate is Warm, Temperate, or Cold. Terrain is Plains, Hills, Forest, Marsh, Mountains, or Desert. I think the entry you want is Temperate Forest. Either that, or Forest (any)

Lust for energy: Ability boosting race and class features are usually even numbers, such as +2, +4, etc. If you want the creature's Str to be 26 when it enters it's little frenzy, simply change it's current Str to 22, and lower the bonus LFE bonus to +4. +4 Str, an extra attack, -2 AC, 2 nonlethal per round. Specify how long this lust lasts, and what happens after the lust ends. Does the creature become fatigued, like a barbarian's rage?

Feeding Mechanic: If the creature feeds on energy, you need to give it some sort of ability by which it feeds. I would suggest that when the creature has a spellcaster pinned, it may begin to feed. The pinned spellcaster must make a Will save (DC = 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + Con modifier) or lose 1 slot of its highest spell level. Similar mechanics usually grant the feeding creature temporary hit points.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-28, 07:05 PM
Nightclaws, please update your creature. It's got promise, and I'd vote for it if you'd update and take people's suggestions into account.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-04, 11:26 AM
Sorry, Nightclaws, but I'm going to have to vote "no". I've been more than generous, allowing you time to update, and you have not taken the opportunity.

Anxe
2007-06-29, 01:54 PM
May I ask where the LA is? What if I want to play as one of these things that remind me of a miralukian from star wars?The LA looks to be about +4.
Other stuff would be, it looks like it gets two attacks not one. And I'd add a SR to pump up the CR. 4 seems really low for a HD 8