PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Swordsage Sorcerer

ZhanStrider
2015-02-17, 05:21 AM
I'm currently running a Swordsage 2/Sorcerer 2 in a campaign I'm already embroiled in and I could use some help making him...suck less.
Flavor wise, he's a Desert Wind student (and the DM has said that it's fine for him to use other energy types for the damage, provided he can find NPCs who will teach him how).
Str: 14
Dex: 18
Con: 15
Int: 15
Wis: 11
Cha: 18
Feats so far are: Weapon Finesse (Wielding a Rapier), Improved Unarmed, and Ascetic Mage.
Spells so far are: True Strike and Shield. (My AC sits at a 21 before Shield.)
What Manuevers and spells and feats would you guys recommend if i'm planning to go Jade Pheonix at level 7?

Karl Aegis
2015-02-17, 05:44 AM
What house rules are you using and how far from the rulebooks does your table go? I notice you can't cast second level spells and have Ascetic Mage. You'll have to be more clear about what is going on.

ZhanStrider
2015-02-17, 05:57 AM
What house rules are you using and how far from the rulebooks does your table go? I notice you can't cast second level spells and have Ascetic Mage. You'll have to be more clear about what is going on.

I may have simplified to save time. I currently have Toughness as my 3rd level feat, but NPC's can teach Feats, so Ascetic Mage will replace Toughness at level 6. (I'll probably take leadership, for the level 6 feat)

With the exception of the DM letting skills and feats and spells be taught by NPCs, we stay pretty on book. He has a couple classes that no one uses.

My main problem is that as a party member, I'm nearly useless against enemies, because the combination of DR and fire resist is making my damage output basically nothing. No one is hitting me with any regularity, but I'm not exactly holding up my end of the "taking people out" rope.

I need spells and items that would work with what I've got a bit better, just until I can get a Ring of Wizardry and Arcane Wrath from JPM.

HammeredWharf
2015-02-17, 06:42 AM
(and the DM has said that it's fine for him to use other energy types for the damage, provided he can find NPCs who will teach him how).

This is really important. Try to find some NPCs who could teach you how.

How much can you change? Most importantly, can you remove those Swordsage levels for now? You'd be much better off as a Sorc 4, taking the necessary ToB things right before entering JPM.

ZhanStrider
2015-02-17, 06:46 AM
This is really important. Try to find some NPCs who could teach you how.

How much can you change? Most importantly, can you remove those Swordsage levels for now? You'd be much better off as a Sorc 4, taking the necessary ToB things right before entering JPM.

Sadly, not classes. Everything else is nicely variable and mutable.

bjoern
2015-02-17, 07:31 AM
I may have simplified to save time. I currently have Toughness as my 3rd level feat, but NPC's can teach Feats, so Ascetic Mage will replace Toughness at level 6. (I'll probably take leadership, for the level 6 feat)

With the exception of the DM letting skills and feats and spells be taught by NPCs, we stay pretty on book. He has a couple classes that no one uses.

My main problem is that as a party member, I'm nearly useless against enemies, because the combination of DR and fire resist is making my damage output basically nothing. No one is hitting me with any regularity, but I'm not exactly holding up my end of the "taking people out" rope.

I need spells and items that would work with what I've got a bit better, just until I can get a Ring of Wizardry and Arcane Wrath from JPM.

As far as doing your part to contribute to the fight goes.....grease, color spray, power word pain, glitter dust, baleful transposition, web.s

Darrin
2015-02-17, 08:59 AM
My main problem is that as a party member, I'm nearly useless against enemies, because the combination of DR and fire resist is making my damage output basically nothing.

See if you can get the Sense Weakness feat (Draconomicon). Requires Combat Expertise and Weapon Focus, but you may be able to use your Discipline Focus to qualify for one of those. This feat lets you ignore 5 points of DR.

For fire resistance... not sure how to help there. Gauntlets of Energy Transformation (1000 GP, MIC) might help a little, but probably only on standard-action strikes from Desert Wind, of which there aren't all that many.

TIPOT
2015-02-17, 09:18 AM
A few ideas here.

If you went sorcerer 2 then swordsage 2 you'd have access to a second level maneuver like say mountain hammer which might help for damage.
Are you allowed the unarmed swordsage variant? That might net you unarmed strike for free.
If you have a shadow hand stance, shadow blade is pretty good extra damage, although you'd need to swap your rapier for a shortsword or unarmed strike.

HammeredWharf
2015-02-17, 09:37 AM
You're going to have trouble contributing for a few levels. There's no way around it, unfortunately, because two levels of Sorcerer are just not very useful at lvl 4. However, you could use your Sorcerer spells to boost your melee abilities and maybe get a decent character in the end.

First of all, your spell selection. As a 2nd level sorcerer, you know two lvl 1 spells. Don't waste one of them on True Strike. I'd recommend Mage Armor and Wraithstrike. You'll only be able to use Wraithstrike a few times per day, but it's better than not being able to hit stuff. Note that while Swordsages can wear armor, they suffer from the resulting spell failure. So you'd get the same AC bonus from Mage Armor and Shield, but Mage Armor lasts 1h/CL. If you don't like Wraithstrike (after all, it doesn't last long and is a Swift Action), pick Grease. It's a decent CC spell and gives you a +4 to hit if the target falls down.

Now, to your method of whacking things. You've got two options: two-handed whacking and dual-wielding. The obvious choice is "both" and Power Attack. Get a +1 Greatsword (or Falchion, if you want to focus on Desert Wind) and a Spiked Gauntlet. Unfortunately, your low BAB will result in a +4 damage with your from PA. You'll still be able to use the maneuvers that require two weapons, because you've got the gauntlet. Swap your Str and Dex. Use Wraithstrike + PA to whack as hard as you can. Now you're hitting for 2d6 +6 (Str) + 4 (PA) +1 (magical weapon), for an average of 18. It's not great, but hey, we've got maneuvers to add.

Your attack options could be:
Wraithstrike + Flashing Sun + PA ~= 36 dmg, full-round action + swift action
Burning Blade + Wolf Fang Strike (with the gauntlet) + no PA ~= 33,5 dmg, standard action + swift action
Mighty Throw: You can trip with an ok-ish trip modifier of +8.
Shadow Blade Technique + PA ~= 18 dmg, but you roll twice and get +3,5 dmg if your second roll succeeds.

(Disclaimer: the numbers should be correct-ish, but I'm not entirely sure.)

2/5 of these maneuvers belong to Desert Wind, so it's a reasonable DW focus. That leaves us one maneuver and two stances. The maneuvers don't matter much, because you can only have four maneuvers readied. You should probably pick something with utility or useful for qualifying for your future maneuvers. Island of Blades is a good stance if you've got another melee character in your group. Step of the Wind is good if your DM likes difficult terrain as much as I do. Hunter's Sense is a good stance for general adventuring and RP.

Let's calculate your attack bonus. You've got +4 from Str, +2 BAB, +1 from higher ground (because you are a bit desperate, would really like to hit things and have maxed Jump), +1 from your weapon and +1 from the weapon focus Swordsages have, for a total of +9. You get -4 from PA and Flashing Sun and a -2 when using the Wolf Fang Strike combo. +5 isn't hopeless, because most monsters have around 10 touch AC. +7 without making touch attacks is not good, TBH. Try to boost it if possible by entering a flanking position. Max Tumble.

Your feats are still undecided, with the exception of PA. I'd heavily recommend Arcane Strike instead of Ascetic Mage if you want to sacrifice spells for damage. Its damage bonus is 2,5 times bigger, it's a Free Action and it doesn't require IUS. Improved Initiative is always nice. IUS + Snap Kick is a good combo, but questionable with your BAB. Arcane Preparation is good if you're Good, allowing you to cast Luminous Armor. Practiced Spellcaster for those lost caster levels.

bjoern
2015-02-17, 10:18 AM
You're going to have trouble contributing for a few levels. There's no way around it, unfortunately, because two levels of Sorcerer are just not very useful at lvl 4. However, you could use your Sorcerer spells to boost your melee abilities and maybe get a decent character in the end.

First of all, your spell selection. As a 2nd level sorcerer, you know two lvl 1 spells. Don't waste one of them on True Strike. I'd recommend Mage Armor and Wraithstrike. You'll only be able to use Wraithstrike a few times per day, but it's better than not being able to hit stuff. Note that while Swordsages can wear armor, they suffer from the resulting spell failure. So you'd get the same AC bonus from Mage Armor and Shield, but Mage Armor lasts 1h/CL. If you don't like Wraithstrike (after all, it doesn't last long and is a Swift Action), pick Grease. It's a decent CC spell and gives you a +4 to hit if the target falls down.

Now, to your method of whacking things. You've got two options: two-handed whacking and dual-wielding. The obvious choice is "both" and Power Attack. Get a +1 Greatsword (or Falchion, if you want to focus on Desert Wind) and a Spiked Gauntlet. Unfortunately, your low BAB will result in a +4 damage with your from PA. You'll still be able to use the maneuvers that require two weapons, because you've got the gauntlet. Swap your Str and Dex. Use Wraithstrike + PA to whack as hard as you can. Now you're hitting for 2d6 +6 (Str) + 4 (PA) +1 (magical weapon), for an average of 18. It's not great, but hey, we've got maneuvers to add.

Your attack options could be:
Wraithstrike + Flashing Sun + PA ~= 36 dmg, full-round action + swift action
Burning Blade + Wolf Fang Strike (with the gauntlet) + no PA ~= 33,5 dmg, standard action + swift action
Mighty Throw: You can trip with an ok-ish trip modifier of +8.
Shadow Blade Technique + PA ~= 18 dmg, but you roll twice and get +3,5 dmg if your second roll succeeds.

(Disclaimer: the numbers should be correct-ish, but I'm not entirely sure.)

2/5 of these maneuvers belong to Desert Wind, so it's a reasonable DW focus. That leaves us one maneuver and two stances. The maneuvers don't matter much, because you can only have four maneuvers readied. You should probably pick something with utility or useful for qualifying for your future maneuvers. Island of Blades is a good stance if you've got another melee character in your group. Step of the Wind is good if your DM likes difficult terrain as much as I do. Hunter's Sense is a good stance for general adventuring and RP.

Let's calculate your attack bonus. You've got +4 from Str, +2 BAB, +1 from higher ground (because you are a bit desperate, would really like to hit things and have maxed Jump), +1 from your weapon and +1 from the weapon focus Swordsages have, for a total of +9. You get -4 from PA and Flashing Sun and a -2 when using the Wolf Fang Strike combo. +5 isn't hopeless, because most monsters have around 10 touch AC. +7 without making touch attacks is not good, TBH. Try to boost it if possible by entering a flanking position. Max Tumble.

Your feats are still undecided, with the exception of PA. I'd heavily recommend Arcane Strike instead of Ascetic Mage if you want to sacrifice spells for damage. Its damage bonus is 2,5 times bigger, it's a Free Action and it doesn't require IUS. Improved Initiative is always nice. IUS + Snap Kick is a good combo, but questionable with your BAB. Arcane Preparation is good if you're Good, allowing you to cast Luminous Armor. Practiced Spellcaster for those lost caster levels.

Wraithstrike is a level 2 spell

HammeredWharf
2015-02-17, 11:05 AM
Wraithstrike is a level 2 spell

O-oh... well, that's a... spectacular failure of a plan, then. :sigh: I don't think TC will be hitting much with a +6 AB. I guess a combination of Grease and Magic Weapon could work. Otherwise, just drop PA until lvl 6, at which point you'll get lvl 2 spells.

Rebel7284
2015-02-17, 11:22 AM
Two more levels of sorcerer and then Jade Phoenix Mage seems like the obvious path.

bjoern
2015-02-17, 11:28 AM
O-oh... well, that's a... spectacular failure of a plan, then. :sigh: I don't think TC will be hitting much with a +6 AB. I guess a combination of Grease and Magic Weapon could work. Otherwise, just drop PA until lvl 6, at which point you'll get lvl 2 spells.

Fist of stone is a level 1 spell that gives +6 strength. An extra +3 to hit and 4 to damage is nice. I would also take the grease spell. Takes away the enemy's dex to AC and another +4 to hit of they fall

HammeredWharf
2015-02-17, 12:45 PM
Fist of stone is a level 1 spell that gives +6 strength. An extra +3 to hit and 4 to damage is nice. I would also take the grease spell. Takes away the enemy's dex to AC and another +4 to hit of they fall

True, that's a very good option, especially combined with Burning Blade.

bjoern
2015-02-17, 01:00 PM
True, that's a very good option, especially combined with Burning Blade.

And grease is really handy when things go sideways and someone gets grappled by some big nasty thing.

ZhanStrider
2015-02-17, 03:38 PM
And grease is really handy when things go sideways and someone gets grappled by some big nasty thing.

Yes. That.

Are there any magic weapon types that would work well with the energy damage/multiple attacks bit? Obviously Speed would be good.

bjoern
2015-02-17, 03:48 PM
Yes. That.

Are there any magic weapon types that would work well with the energy damage/multiple attacks bit? Obviously Speed would be good.

I really like spell storing on a weapon. Stick a shocking grasp on there and your first hit of the encounter does 1d6/CL shock damage, not much, but for a +1 its better than just having shock on there.

Also, sudden stunning from dmg2 is damn good for 2k gold. Cha mod / day, force a fort save on a hit or be stunned.

Take your pick of a weapon crystal, I like lesser life stealing. Recover 3hp per hit up to30/day. And its cheap too.

GLoves of the uldra savant are nice. Can't rememeber the exact details but they let youput the frest property onto a weapon of your choice a few times per day, again, they're cheaper than another +1 on your weapon.

Troacctid
2015-02-17, 04:33 PM
GLoves of the uldra savant are nice. Can't rememeber the exact details but they let youput the frest property onto a weapon of your choice a few times per day, again, they're cheaper than another +1 on your weapon.

They are a standard action to activate, with a duration of only 5 rounds. So they are not very good.

bjoern
2015-02-17, 04:37 PM
They are a standard action to activate, with a duration of only 5 rounds. So they are not very good.

I've used em several times before.
I have found that I always had a chance yo activate them, I usually had a standard action somewhere that I didn't have something better to do. I liked it because if your using several different weapon (sword, bow, chain, etc) you don't have to spend money to enchant them all. And you don't have to spend actions moving augment crystals ariund.

HammeredWharf
2015-02-18, 01:15 AM
They won't work with Burning Blade (both are Swift), but weapon capsules from Complete Adventurer are great at low levels. Get a triple weapon capsule retainer, two different elemental capsules and the Ghost Touch one. Now you can deal +2d6 damage for a round. The Ghost Touch capsule is even better, as it removes the need for a +1 enchantment, so it scales well into later levels. They're a bit worse for a Swordsage than they are for a Fighter because of your Swift action reliance, but are still good.