PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Need advice on homebrews for a campaign

DragonBones
2015-02-17, 07:39 AM
I'm planning on running a campaign soon with a few friends, and I fancied working on a few homebrews for it. The campaign has an ancient roman sort of theme and I've tried to make a few subclasses and a class for it. I will probably be adding to this current list of my homebrewed material, and I need advice on how balanced some of the stuff is. I'm not a very experienced homebrewer, and probably not a very good one, but I thought i'd give it a try anyway. Most of the ability names probably need changing as well.

This is the most important for me, as one of my players wants to play a warlock with a boggart familiar, but he also wanted to start at level 1. I thought this was the best way to accomodate that.
The Boggart
The boggart is a trickster, turning invisible, shapeshifting and terrorising the local folk. These tendencies also show in those warlocks who take them as a patron.
Expanded Spell List:
1st Level: Disguise Self, Grease
2nd Level: Alter Self, Phantasmal Force
3rd Level: Bestow Curse, Feign Death
4th Level: Greater Invisibility, Polymorph
5th Level: Mislead, Seeming
Boggart’s Protection
Starting at 1st level, you have a boggart as a familiar, though you can still get a familiar from the pact of the chain in addition. Treat the boggart as a quasit, except it can shapeshift into a goat or cat instead of its usual forms, and its attack deals damage equal to 1d4+half your missing health (I use this for damage because my friend asked for something like this). If the boggart dies, you lose all your powers until you find another one to replace it as your patron.
Boggart’s Disguise
Starting at 6th level, you gain the ability to use your action to turn invisible, and at the end of the next minute or when you attack or cast a spell, you become visible as if under the influence of a disguise self spell which wears off after one hour. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Boggart’s Vision
Starting at 10th level, you have advantage on checks to see invisible creatures or to see through disguises.
Boggart’s Blight
Starting at 14th level, you may choose a creature you can see within 60 feet of you, that creature becomes blinded and paralyzed for one minute and takes 2d10 psychic damage.

I felt that in my setting trade, and therefore travel, was an important part of life. I found it slightly strange that there was no domain that properly encapsulated this, except maybe the Trickery domain, so I decided to make my own.
Travel Domain
The gods of travel are patron of traders and travelers. The protect their subjects and ensure that the trading goes well.
Travel Domain Spells
1st Level: Sanctuary, Longstrider
3rd Level: Animal Messenger, Locate Object
5th Level: Clairvoyance, Leomund’s Tiny Hut
7th Level: Dimension Door, Freedom of Movement
9th Level: Scrying, Teleportation Circle
Quick Traveler
Starting at 1st level, Your base movement speed is increased by 10 feet, and you can can move at normal speed through difficult terrain.
Language of the Trade
Starting at 1st level, you also learn an additional language, and become proficient in the Persuasion skill.
Channel Divinity: Fast Travel
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to teleport short distance. As a bonus action, you can turn your next movement into a teleportation that moves you up to 60 feet.
Quickened Dash
Starting at 6th level, whenever you or another creature within 30 feet of you takes the dash action, you can increase or reduce their base speed by 10 feet.
Group Travel
Starting at 8th level, when you use Fast Travel, you can move any allied creatures within 30 feet of your starting position by teleporting them up to 60 feet.
Gaseous Travel
Starting at 17th level, you gain the ability to walk through objects, walls and other people, and you do not provoke opportunity attacks.

I decided that I wanted some sort of politician-style class, or at least one that would make sense as being for a politician, but I also thought that having a gladiator-style class might be nice as well given the setting. So I combined the two and came up with the Leader, though honestly it needs a much better name, I just can't think of one.
Leader
A combat-based class that supports its offense with charisma-based abilities.
Class Features
Hit Dice: d8
Proficiencies:
Armour: Light armour, Medium armour
Weapons, Simple weapons, martial weapons.
Tools: None.
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Charisma
Skills: Choose two from: Athletics, Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Performance, Persuasion, Intimidation, Deception, Insight.
Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by you background:
(a) Chain Shirt or (b) Leather Armour, Longbow, and 20 arrows
(a) a martial weapon or (b) two simple weapons
(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) Two Daggers
(a) a Dungeoneer’s Pack or (b) a Diplomat’s Pack

Charming Visage
Starting at 1st level, you gain 4 charm dice, which are d6s. You can expend these die to use special abilities. You regain all spent charm dice after a short or long rest. You can use the following abilities at Level 1 onwards:
Charming Encouragement: You can use a bonus action and expend a charm die to give one creature within 30 feet of you an extra charm die for their next ability check.
Charming Protection: When you need to make a saving throw, you can expend a charm die and add it to your saving throw.
Disgracing Blow: When you hit an enemy with a melee weapon attack, you can expend a charm die and add the result to your damage roll.
Stunning Personality: When you deal damage to a creature, you can use a bonus action and expend a charm die to stun the target until the end of their next turn unless they make a wisdom saving throw against a DC of 8+your proficiency bonus+your charisma modifier+your charm die roll.
Fighting Style
Starting at 2nd level, choose a fighting style from Archery, Defense, Dueling, Protection, or Two-Weapon Fighting.
Leader Archetype
At 3rd level, choose a Leader Archetype from Gladiator, Commander, or Chaplain.
Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores by 1.
Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
Charming Visage Improvement
Starting at 7th level, you gain an extra the next minute.
Charming Distraction: You can use a bonus action, and expend charm die, to take a charm die away from the ability checks of another creature within 30 fcharm die and two more charm die abilities.
Charming Aid: You can use a bonus action, and expend a charm die, to give yourself or another creature within 30 feet of you that charm die for all ability checks withineet of you a negative modifier for the next minute.
Charming Aura
Starting at 9th level, you and friendly creatures within 30 feet of you gain advantage on all saving throws.
Starting at 11th level, your charm dice all become d8s and you gain an additional charm die.
Semblance of Heroes
Starting at 13th level, you and your companions appear as heroes to all those who meet you. You no longer need to pay for accommodation, and no one will deny you a meeting on the grounds of your background or upbringing. You also gain advantage on all Persuasion Checks.
Charming Aura Improvement
Starting at 15th level, your charming aura now provides immunity to being charmed or poisoned, resistance to magic damage, and has a range of 60 feet.
Starting at 17th level, your charm dice become d10s, and you gain two new charm abilities.
Charming Voice: You can use a bonus action and expend a charm die to a charm a creature within 60 feet that can hear you. If the creature fails a wisdom saving throw with DC 8+your proficiency bonus+your charisma modifier+the result of the charm die, the creature is charmed for one minute.
Dazzling Cleave: You can use an action to make an attack against each creature within 5 feet, adding the result of your charm die to each attack roll.
Critical Encouragement
Starting at 18th level, you can spend two charm dice to turn any success in an ability check or any hit into a 20 and/or a critical hit.
Charmed Slaying
Starting at 20th level, whenever you reduce a creature to 0 hit points, you regain 1 charm die.
Leader Archetypes
The Gladiator
The Gladiator uses the crowd in his fighting, playing to them and using their praise and scorn to distract his opponent.
Battle Training
Starting at 3rd level, you have proficiency with heavy armour and shields, and you have no max dexterity modifier to your AC when wearing medium armour.
Fan Favourite
Starting at 6th level, you can spend a charm die to gain advantage on your next attack against one creature, and that creature gets disadvantage on its next attack against you.
Plucky Underdog
Starting at 10th level, if you would be reduced to 0 hit points as a result of an attack from a creature at least 1 size larger than you, or at least 1 level higher than you, you can spend 2 charm dice to return to 1 Hit Points and stay conscious.
Play to the Crowd
Starting at 14th level, you can use your action to make a performance check, and if you get 15 or more, you regain a charm die.
The Commander
The Commander uses his great speaking ability to encourage his allies, and to find new companions.
Leader of Men
Starting at 3rd level, you gain a human commoner as a companion (use the commoner stats in the basic rules), who will follow you around and fight for you, taking actions as you command. You must pay for their equipment and accommodation. You can find another replacement if they die.
Inspiring Command
Starting at 6th level, you can spend a charm die as an action to give all those within 30 feet of you advantage on their next attack roll or ability check.
Great Leader of Men
Starting at 10th level, you gain an additional human commoner as a companion. You also gain an additional Charming Visage ability:
Dashing Encouragement: You can use a bonus action, and expend a charm die to give yourself and all commoners within 20 feet of you that charm die on attack rolls for the next minute.
Thrilling Speech
Starting at 14th level, you can spend 1 minute giving a speech to give all creatures within 60 feet of you. If you do those creatures gain advantage on all attack rolls, ability checks and saving throws for the next minute.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
The Chaplain
The Chaplain uses his god-given powers to encourage his allies and provide support them emotionally, religiously, and in combat.
Spellcasting
Starting at level 3, you can cast cleric spells, using charisma as your spellcasting ability. The spellcasting table for this is exactly the same as the Eldritch Knight's.
Cantrips. You learn two cantrips of your choice from the cleric spell list, and an additional one at level 10.
Spell Slots. The Chaplain Spellcasting table shows how many spells slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells. you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
Spells known of 1st-level and Higher. You know three 1st-level cleric spells of your choice. The Spells Known Column shows you when you learn more cleric spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
Spellcasting Ability. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your cleric spells. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a cleric spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
Spell Save DC = 8+your proficiency bonus+your Charisma modifier
Spell Attack Modifier = your proficiency bonus+your Charisma modifier
Inspirational Care
Starting at 3rd level, whenever you expend a charm die, you can heal yourself or someone else within 10 feet of you for your Leader Level in hit points.
Prayer of Guidance
Starting at 6th level, you can spend 1 minute praying and expend a number of charm dice to regain a spell slot with a level of the number of charm die expended.
Charming Destruction
Starting a 10th level, you can add your Charisma modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric spell.
Distracting Curse
Starting at 14th level, whenever you cast a spell, you can expend a charm die to impose disadvantage on all saving throws made against that spell.

Thanks for your time, and please try to leave some constructive criticism.