PDA

View Full Version : Unusual adventures

etrpgb
2015-02-17, 01:27 PM
Did you ever play adventures with unusual twists, setting or events?

I am aware it is a fairly open question, but lately with my group (being all adults with little time) we play short, sometime even one-shot, adventures and
And next time I might DM, so I wanted to try something different than the sure-success, but still somewhat stale, "There is a room with an ogre, behind is the cake. Your mission is take the cake; the reward is the cake" kind of adventure.

Since I am in a such early stage I am open to all kind of unsual ideas... Examples:

- The main characters are unaware that they are already dead and are actually revenants?
- The main characters are actually clones of real heros or some kind of artificial being?
- The mission from the good-hearted king seems to make perfect sense, but actually is part of a sinister plot?
- The main characters lost their memories and discover something terrible about themselves?

I'd prefer adventures you actually played or presided over, but random ideas are fine too.

Feddlefew
2015-02-17, 01:44 PM
I've been meaning to send a 10th level party into post-abandonment Boatmurderd as a one shot, but I need to make a map and that's... going to be a challenge.

Gritmonger
2015-02-17, 02:07 PM
You could always borrow some of the plot from Destination:Void and have all of the players archetypes (essentially clones, but more "grown for a role" so they are individuals) who don't know they are part of an experiment that is disguised as a mission but is designed to fail to force them to come up with a solution to complete said mission.

One of the "players" is aware of the nature of their dilemma, but is supposed to play along without giving away the game, but is also aware that the "experiment" has failed quite a large number of times. His job is to goad each person into maintaining their role.

The plot of the book was that there were a primary and a backup brain (actual human brains) wired into the navigation system that were required to run the navigation system. When both fail and go insane (by design), the "players" had to make up an artificial consciousness to run the ship, or perish in the void.

At least, that's how I recall it - there was an original version, then a re-write, both by Frank Herbert, and the book essentially (I think) provided the precursor/explanation for the Ix, I think, and their Xlotl tanks...

Angel Bob
2015-02-17, 02:40 PM
My players once came across an idyllic town called Sweetville that was in some distress: their annual town baking ceremony was in jeopardy because ogres had kidnapped the head chef. It later turned out, after the PCs had rescued the chef, that the ceremony existed as part of a treaty with a neighboring tribe of Awakened Wasps, who demanded yearly tribute of sugary foods in exchange for not murdering everyone.

Say what you will, but it's one of the more coherent adventures I've run, and there was plenty of foreshadowing.

Beta Centauri
2015-02-17, 03:12 PM
I've never seen twists pay off interestingly, unless the players are already in on it.

Unusual locations are always fun. A crystal observatory on an asteroid in the Astral Sea, a gigantic bridge that has collapsed leaving only a tree-trunk sized rope across a gap, an eladrin city shaped like a hand, a

etrpgb
2015-02-17, 03:41 PM
[...]an eladrin city shaped like a hand, a
a... ?

Got the point, though... I was thinking something like that: three or four location from a fairly normal keep to an insane alien building without phantomable purpose or sense... Something like a descent in madness.

aspekt
2015-02-17, 07:47 PM
I have our current party on a comet guarded by white dragons which contains the partially ascended aspects of an ancient gold wyrm.

The comet is actually a demiplane, one of many prisons created by Tiamat and in use by chromatics for various nefarious purposes.

etrpgb
2015-02-19, 05:31 AM
No-one else? :(

cobaltstarfire
2015-02-19, 05:43 AM
I've been meaning to send a 10th level party into post-abandonment Boatmurderd as a one shot, but I need to make a map and that's... going to be a challenge.

Is this (http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6836-boatmurdered)useful?

I have to play DF with a tileset so I can't make heads or tails of the map myself, but I do think it'd be amazing to send a party into a place like that, assuming it wasn't reclaimed by elephants...

Feddlefew
2015-02-19, 06:51 AM
Is this (http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6836-boatmurdered)useful?

I have to play DF with a tileset so I can't make heads or tails of the map myself, but I do think it'd be amazing to send a party into a place like that, assuming it wasn't reclaimed by elephants...

Thanks! I think I'm really going to have to open up the save at some point, since the wall carvings chronicling the fortress's decent into madness are an important part of the Boatmurdered experience.

cobaltstarfire
2015-02-19, 02:39 PM
Someone did a reading of boatmurdered (http://youtu.be/CZF59Dkk73g) if that helps. (assuming you just don't want to sift through all the written text for artifact and carving descriptions). I guess you'd still have to sit through it but it's an entertaining listen either way.

I mostly provide this cause I've heard there are no surviving copies of the save for Boatmurdered.

Knaight
2015-02-19, 02:45 PM
And next time I might DM, so I wanted to try something different than the sure-success, but still somewhat stale, "There is a room with an ogre, behind is the cake. Your mission is take the cake; the reward is the cake" kind of adventure.

One thing that could work here is just focusing on things that are very much not dungeons. Maybe the PCs are on the defensive from the outset, maybe the adventure is city based and investigative (though there could easily be a street brawl or ten), so on and so forth. There's a lot beyond the highlighted type of adventure well before you even get into unusual territory.

Arutema
2015-02-19, 02:56 PM
So I'm working on building a world for a PF campaign. A world where forgotten living weapons from the thousand years war still slumber underground, and the Halflings and Elves are on the bring of a new war over disputed territory.

Then 121st century Earth invades from space, setting up the real plot.

ewoods
2015-02-19, 03:11 PM
I've been putting together 6-8 week campaigns with unusual twists, but mine tend to be more obvious.

1. All player characters must select a race that is an animal of size diminutive or smaller (i.e. rats, weasels, hawks, toads, etc). Roll up stats like normal, assume that all animals have sentience and a common language and that they just choose to hide it from the "high races" (a la Toy Story), equip them with needles for swords, and put them in a world where cats and dogs are their main adversaries.
2. All player characters must be the same class. For extra fun, restrict spellcasting classes. A party full of rogues or barbarians can present new challenges, especially for groups that play together often and have gotten used to each other's play styles and combat strategies.
3. The entire adventure takes place inside a castle/keep under siege. The players are leaders in an army defending their castle from an attacking army. The players don't do much direct combat, but they coordinate the defending troops, allocate limited resources, explore the castle to find hidden passages, infiltrate the opposing army, reveal spies among their own ranks. This one takes a LOT of planning on your part, but can also be a lot of fun.
4. Haven't ran this one yet, but I have an idea for the players waking up on an island, not knowing where they are or how they got there. Unbeknownst to them, they're being hunted by...themselves. Have copies of their character sheets. Every skill and ability they have, you have too. I haven't worked out the backstory but say some mad wizard or vengeful god created copies of the characters and sent those copies to destroy the "real" characters.

Joe the Rat
2015-02-19, 03:45 PM
I had the party chase down a pirated airship using a giant flying pecan shell piloted by Ensign Chekov the elf.

It worked out okay, though if I did it again I'd flesh out the chase mechanics a bit more. I'm just disappointed I couldn't get the warlock to try and cross the boarding lines.

Tragak
2015-02-19, 07:44 PM
I once ran a campaign where all three PCs were half-dragons and most of the BBEGs were True Dragons.

... Well it doesn't say Dungeons and Humans, does it :smalltongue:

TeChameleon
2015-02-19, 11:57 PM
1. All player characters must select a race that is an animal of size diminutive or smaller (i.e. rats, weasels, hawks, toads, etc). Roll up stats like normal, assume that all animals have sentience and a common language and that they just choose to hide it from the "high races" (a la Toy Story), equip them with needles for swords, and put them in a world where cats and dogs are their main adversaries.
2. All player characters must be the same class. For extra fun, restrict spellcasting classes. A party full of rogues or barbarians can present new challenges, especially for groups that play together often and have gotten used to each other's play styles and combat strategies.
... those two put together sound oddly like Mouse Guard.

And 'unusual adventures' can be just about anything. I've got one planned for my Shadowrun players that's pretty much a straight-up dungeon delve in its base mechanics, but because of the plot and some of the details, it's going to be far more of a horror/mystery with the forgotten bunker of a magical secret society, giant demon bugs, sacrificed children, and monsters that are a mix of Toy Story/Raggedy Ann and the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who.

Milodiah
2015-02-20, 02:41 PM
I've reverse-engineered the Call of Cthulhu game U-boat Heraus by Adam Scott Glancy (because at the time it wasn't published, they said it was February 2015 so it may be out now), which is interesting in and of itself...WW1 U-boat crew is something I've never seen before, but at the same time I've stapled together a 2000-year timeline focused on the history of the site in the scenario, running from Cthulhu Invictus in 40AD, to Cthulhu Dark Ages in the 11th century, to Cthulhu Britannia in the 1800s, to WWI, Jazz Age, WWII, the Cold War, and finally Delta Green in the 21st century. I then ran each time-period scenario for a different group, so that from the beginning there have been PC fingerprints all over the nonsense that is this game's timeline/metaplot.

BootStrapTommy
2015-02-20, 06:59 PM
The PCs are the NPC-classed staff of an inn. Adventurers frequent, and the party must navigate the complex social environment of innkeeping in a culturally diverse dungeons-containing locale. Insert a murder mystery and monster attacks. Voila.

goto124
2015-02-21, 11:05 PM
Does anyone run a campaign with a MMO-style auto respawn timer going on?

chainer1216
2015-02-22, 12:40 AM
I once ran a short Ravenloft(D&D horror setting) set in the made up domain of Candy land, where all the land and its creatures were turned into various sweets, marshmallow birds, chocolate rabbits, dire gumi bears, the local humans where turned into ginger bread. The place was run by a half elf called William the Wonked and an adult, cannibalistic Hanzel.

The group thought it was going to be fun and silly, but I played the whole thing straight, it turned out to be creepy as hell, its still probably the best game I've ever run.

Flickerdart
2015-02-22, 12:46 AM
- The mission from the good-hearted king seems to make perfect sense, but actually is part of a sinister plot?
I do this all the time. My players never trust any authority figure because they all inevitably betray them - and the more authoritative, the less trustworthy.

As for the clones bit, consider the power mind seed and how the victim of such a power might react when his mind suddenly finds itself in a body it has no recollection of inhabiting. What's worse, the things it does remember happened eight levels ago, which might be years or even centuries of in-universe time. Imagine waking up one day as Charlemagne or Gengis Khan, in the body of a flabby middle-aged accountant somewhere in Ohio.

Gritmonger
2015-02-22, 01:08 AM
Does anyone run a campaign with a MMO-style auto respawn timer going on?

Not quite, but in a DC:Heroes (M&M) game, I had a "training camp" run by Arcade where if you were incapacitated you were auto-teleported to the infirmary...

Milodiah
2015-02-22, 09:29 AM
The PCs are the NPC-classed staff of an inn. Adventurers frequent, and the party must navigate the complex social environment of innkeeping in a culturally diverse dungeons-containing locale. Insert a murder mystery and monster attacks. Voila.

I'd like to point out that D&D can be survival horror if the PCs are level 1 NPC-classed characters in a town suddenly overrun by monsters.

aspekt
2015-02-22, 12:12 PM
I'd like to point out that D&D can be survival horror if the PCs are level 1 NPC-classed characters in a town suddenly overrun by monsters.

This is what I hope to run soon. Was thinking of requiring them to all start out as 0 level then progress for 5 levels or so as Factotum, or some homebrewed generic 'Adventurer' class, before allowing them to branch out and specialize.

I may borrow the NPC tavern worker idea and have rumors of disappearing parties of adventurers begin to surface followed by news of the tavern regulars also beginning to disappear. Perhaps right before the invasion the last couple of adventurering regulars are rounded up by the King's men in order to force them to finish the job the others have failed at. Only of course to fail followed by 'invasion'.

Jay R
2015-02-22, 03:44 PM
As a player, I came up with a twist that caught all the rest of the players pretty well when it was finally revealed.

It was a Wild West game, and I told everyone that I was designing a character based on one of my favorite TV western heroes. So when I showed up with a half-Chinese martial artist named Cal Yang, everyone knew I was basically playing Kwai Chang Caine from Kung Fu. I got into the spirit, and everybody enjoyed the Eastern attitude I played.

Until late in the fourth episode, when my federal marshal, Calvin Young, dropped his disguise. I was actually playing Artemus Gordon, the disguise artist from The Wild, Wild West.

Mordokai
2015-02-23, 02:39 AM
I found this some time ago and copy pasted it into my "funny" folder... feel free to make use of any of them. If nothing else, they are good for few giggles.

1. Thieves break into houses, steal nothing, refuse to leave.
2. Thieves break into houses, redecorate poorly.
3. Threat of orcs.
4. Threat of shooty, choppy orks from the distant future.
5. Threat of distinguished and articulate orcs from Victorian era.
6. Virgin succubus cursed to never get laid desperately seeks assistance, slowly goes ape**** crazy.
7. Map discovered on back of portrait of hideous man. Turns out portrait is map of Hideousmanface Mountain; map is portrait of guardian Map Golem.
8. Rain of frogs plagues town. Man discovers frogs to be competent dance troupe. Man conquers national performance circuit.
9. Local baker seeks perfect ingredients for ultimate cake, secretly constructs powerful Cake Golem.
10. Philosophical zombies ponder meaning of love, pester passers-by.
11. Noble wedding interrupted by aggressive eel salesmen.
12. Attacked by snakes in wilderness environment.
13. Attacked by snakes in urban environment.
14. Attacked by urban environment; allies found in form of friendly snakes.
15. Sorcerer, for ****s and giggles, trains ethereal filchers to interrupt people during sex.
16. Party helps marauding demon warrior realize childhood dream of becoming stageshow dancer.
17. During daily tour, prestigious magic academy looted by goblins disguised as ugly children.
18. Ancient lich seeks new thrills by competing in mixed martial arts tournament.
19. Advancements in magically powered musical instruments climaxes with crew of grunge rock pirate bards clashing with clan of heavy metal viking bards; town threatened by collateral damage from killer solos. Crafty punk rock gypsies armed with enchanted accordions seek to capitalize on ensuing mayhem; all are united in effort to stick it to uptight paladins trying to bring them down. Powerful vibes attract glam rock demons and dirty hippies.
20. Dungeons give chase.
21. Bees get organized.
22. Party endlessly pursued by screaming fans, accompanied by catchy 60s rock.
23. Inaccurate historical re-enactment attracts ire of necromancer history buff.
24. Passive aggressive druids extol virtues of peace, love, substance abuse.
25. Captain Hampton attempts to use violence to stop the Halfling Pirates of Willygoat, who, although they are wee men, have big swords.
26. Dwarves threatened by serial barber.
27. Half-ogre lint merchant and half-drow nobleman’s hot jailbait daughter harbor forbidden love.
28. Effeminate prince mistaken for princess and dragon who has captured him harbor forbidden love.
29. Earth elemental and gelatinous cube harbor forbidden love.
30. Society plagued by freakish crossbreeds.
31. Awakened animated door develops delusion of being world-class gourmet and tirelessly hunts for keys to sample and critique.
32. Trio of skeletons discover their bones are pitch-perfect xylophones, start travelling percussion band, overcome prejudice, learn valuable life lessons, get laid.
33. Ancient lich seeks new thrills by competing in biathlon; disqualified for using machine gun.
34. Clinically insane duke hires party to kill invisible bugbears that turn out to be invisible hobgoblins with bad haircuts.
35. Desert-dwelling cactus dryads pine for romance with travellers, endlessly complain about how their spiny bodies prevent intimacy, get kidnapped by group of masochistic yuan-ti in ironic twist.
36. Tornadoes plan uprising.
37. Volcanoes plot revenge.
38. Meteors get their **** together.
39. Fire, Water, Wind and Earth Elementals use life-draining magic ring in attempt to create Heart Elemental and complete ancient summoning ritual.
40. Kobolds blow it all up.
41. Obnoxious scouts run around hitting people with bats.
42. Elderly grave digger has chance meeting with Grim Reaper; heated weapon debate escalates into destructive duel.
43. Gentlemanly British marksman hunts party for sport using only sheer grit, determination and steam-powered railgun.
44. Sinister duststorms herald hobo revolution.
45. Party stalked by assassin rumored to dual-wield katars, in actuality dual-wields keytars.
46. High priest is secretly complex musical animatronic.
47. Desert warlord sends party to blue dragon’s lair to retrieve the keys to his camel.
48. Mass pandemonium ensues when travelling troll barbarians pitch their tents in slightly inconvenient spot.
49. Reformed Illithid working as hair stylist falls under suspicion.
50. Threat of mechanical war machines powered by steam.
51. Threat of mechanical war machines powered by clockworks.
52. Threat of mechanical war machines powered by love.
53. Miraculous self-replenishing canned food ration ‘Salient Blue’ challenges ethics when discovered to be made of trolls.
54. Twin Beholders come to town and make everyone feel self-conscious.
55. Ancient lich seeks new thrills by recruiting rock band, records hit single ‘Hopeless (nec)Romantic.’
56. Sinister cult believes key to peace and happiness is painting everything blue.
57. Bored Thor throws killer pool party in Valhalla.
58. Bored Eris throws killer rave on Mount Olympus.
59. Bored Buddha launches aerial raids.
60. Threat of Communists.
61. Disgruntled rebel fighters attempt to crash airship into king.
62. Ambitious rebel fighters attempt to crash moon into king.
63. Philosophical rebel fighters attempt to crash king into himself.
64. Undead army ravages countryside with well-choreographed dance numbers.
65. Evil tyrant outlaws eyebrows.
66. Large, upscale inn terrorized by wildly dancing yet stoic man.
67. Gnome enforces guarantee.
68. Fiend hunter paladin declares he must kill all the tieflings; later discovers, no, he is the tieflings.
69. Ancient lich seeks new thrills by becoming ramp-jumping daredevil, succeeds in jumping bulette over 27 ill-tempered kythons.
70. Threat of goblins with guns.
71. Threat of goblins with artillery.
72. Threat of hobgoblins with artillery that launches goblins – who have guns.
73. Eccentric dictator outlaws all weaponry; decrees international issues will be resolved by giving each other high-fives. All world problems are solved.
74. Impregnable floating fortress besieged by orcs with hang gliders.
75. Rogue ties bundles of Rods of Wonder together to create Wonder Shotguns.
76. Powerful sorcerer born with single large fang believes himself to be reincarnation of legendary demon king, begins war to end the earth; turns out the rest of his teeth are just kind of small.
77. Powerful barbarian whose moustache grows to look like clock hands believes himself to be the one true clock, endeavors to smash every other timepiece in the world in order to become the Highlander.
78. Powerful cleric who continuously manifests stigmata-like supernatural wounds believes himself to be second coming of a god, incites holy crusade; turns out he’s just a clumsy ****er.
79. Empire sieged by macho, sideburned elves; kingdoms fall one after another, as no one believes they exist.
80. Gibbering mouther aspires to become famous scat singer.
81. Master thieves break into museum and steal priceless portrait.
82. Master thieves break into castle and steal crown jewels.
83. Master thieves break into showbusiness and steal our hearts.
84. Ancient lich seeks new thrills by challenging party to race around the world.
85. Face-scalded mad man goes on serial axe-gnawing spree.
86. Barbarian hordes burn down capital city.
87. Barbarian hordes burn down the ocean.
88. Barbarian hordes burn down the sun.
89. Spunky teenagers travel through time to stop cosmic porcupine-looking thing from annihilating planet; become their own grandparents.
90. Gentlemanly cleric sends party on suicide trip to retrieve rare plant, makes world’s strongest medicine.
91. Gentlemanly cleric sends party on suicide trip to retrieve rare plant, makes world’s gnarliest blunt.
92. Gentlemanly cleric sends party on suicide trip to retrieve rare plant, makes world’s tastiest tea; enters a berserker rage when one party member adds milk.
93. Nation becomes infested by sandworm who are attracted to things with no rhythm; entire continent becomes perpetual dance number.
94. Fledgling lich captures our hearts with story of ambition, hot blackguards and flying zombie sharks.
95. Fire-breathing, hammer-throwing tarrasque kidnaps princess; local sewer worker heroically pursues.
96. Party endlessly pursues dastardly villain who wields a bronzed hammerhead shark and bleeds shotgun shells.
97. Halfling monk just starts punching people in the crotch, all the ****ing time.
98. Notorious mummy sorcerer defeats paladin nemesis by dousing self in lamp oil, igniting and tackling him into a black hole. Everyone else in universe realizes that this is the most awesome thing that will ever happen, falls into deep depression.
99. Paladin achieves ultimate power by replacing stick up his ass with immovable rod.
100. All of the above.
101. Celestial stadium crashes down, holds a “Mr. Multiverse” pageant.
102. King is kidnapped by ninjas. Players take a temporary level in “Bad Dude” during the rescue.
103. Giant shapeshifting constructs wage war within civilization, disguising themselves as wagons, barrels, cottages and ballistas.
104. Warforged devises complex mathematic equation to reproduce biorhythm and becomes a seeker of the song
105. Taverns are swept up in competitive craze that uses a team of bards to produce an illusionary rhythm/dance game. Orcs begin to form teams and dominate.
106. Gnome bards and illusionists collaborate to invent the first raves. Morning commerce is brought to a screeching halt.
107. Bardic college sells out to rich, tasteless orcs seeking degrees. Causes media notoriety as their works revolve entirely around how big their hoards are.
108. Princess kidnaps a dragon.
109. Frost-themed lich freezes town, protection of his phylactery in the streets turns into a hockey match.
110. Drow men beg for help building self-confidence, attempt to form a masculinist movement.
111. Horselord attempts to cease equine oppresion in city.
112. King rules that all citizens wear masks in his likeness. King is actually a mask for his advisor, a master of masks, trying to mask the nation with his maskulinity.
113. Illusionist painter turns caricatures of the adventurers into ugly lopsided competitors.
114. Kobold New Year causes fireworks riot and brings chromatic dragons into the nearby city for distant family reunions.
115. Up and coming Treant band “Meaty Greens” causes plant uprising.
116. Earth elemental steps and sits on people to avenge his kin.
117. Giant’s cloud castle blocks the sun, jeopardizing an entire region’s crops. An arcane academy trains heroes as primitive astronauts to combat the giant in a magic ray firing ship.
118. Necropolitan street race circuit raises hell and illegal bets.
119. Heroes spy on hobgoblin battalion to track them to their hidden base. The battalion gets themselves and the adventurers lost in a desert.
120. Two rat familiars of an wizard’s academy secretly plot world conquest.
121. Heroes become outcasts in a nation of carnies.
122. Metal construct runs laps full speed through walls, houses and castles without rest. heroes make various attempts to stop the metal.
123. Gnome-kobold marriage takes place, heroes try to prevent all-out war at the reception.
124. LOL BODYSWAP.
125. An order of holy knights become despised by virtually everyone. They seek out people to help them learn the “pal” in “paladin.”
126. Heroes manage a tribe.
127. Heroes manage a band.
128. Heroes manage their finances.
129. Magic item causes a man to become a versatile construct inspector.
130. Party explores an empty castle, only to find it in a completely different land every time they walk out. Discover it’s being carried off by an indecisive formian colony.
131. Potion brewers across the land have their memories of ingredients wiped and replaced with soda recipes.
132. Chaotic clerics of Fharlanghn tamper with town intersections to lead into completely different planes.
133. Obese head of a thieves guild sends jetpack riding assassin after adventurers.
134. Giants form a collectivist nation and invent cross-continent rock catapults. Mutually assured boulder fights loom over the horizon.
135. Prince runs away and becomes an escort.
136. Bachelorette sea witch starts hurricanes out of lonely rage.
137. Heroes are pursued by deadly mobs of housecats.
138. Warriors of the Underdark fight tooth and nail in a tournament with their eyes exclusively on 3rd place.
139. Dwarf fighter competes in a dance-off to win back his wife. Old habits die hard and blood is shed.
140. Quickdraw goblins rule a desert town.
141. Wealthy dwarf avenges his parents’ death by fighting crime in the night.
142. Tiefling, half-elf and half-orc youths swamp marketplaces with subcultures of self-harm, tight clothing and bad music.
143. Celestials and fiends take their eternal battles to the card tables.
144. Giant intelligent bastard sword crashes through royal castle and claims kingdom for his affiliates.
145. Low ceilings make for literal dungeon crawls.
146. Adventurer’s new best friend is a Joystealer.
147. Elf and halfling boy bands square off.
148. Barbarian warlord’s birthday approaches. Chaos ensues.
149. Aristocrats of a city popularly store all of their magic treasures at the top of tall spires. Magic feedback gives the spires arms, legs, sentience and a demand for rights as citizens.
150. An all-undead band by the name of “Lich’s Bitches” returns to revive a demonic troll.
151. Epic barbarian hosts a “heaviest mother****er alive” contest. Participants pack as much crap as they can carry to win. Tiebreaker is a foot race.
152. Horselord/blackguard terrorizes land with manless cavalry.
153. Svirfneblins invent bouncing rubber cannonballs.
154. Barbarian hordes discover the hot air balloon.
155. Teenage prince and princess of separate lands create long and angst-ridden drama. The people call out for a dragon.
156. Metropolitans become necrosexual.
157. Necropolitans become metrosexual.
158. Sahuagin queen becomes ruler of all pirates. Ports are pillaged of only their fish, jewelry and chocolate.
159. Dwarf lord and a dragon have a steamy affair, leaving both their hoards unguarded.
160. Sea hags pick up sunbathing. Coastal trade comes to a screeching halt.
161. Hextor clerics monopolize postal service by riding Achaierais.
162. Newbie vampires get stuck in clocktower.
163. Clocktower gets stuck in Tarrasque.
164. Tarrasque gets stuck in ice.
165. Ice gets everyone stuck.
166. King picks up steambike riding, goblin bikers attempt kidnapping.
167. Mountain colony of dancing, spectacle and suit wearing dopplegangers fight against an aberration invasion.
168. Heroes enroll in adventuring academy, cue high school drama.
169. Fire elemental becomes a cleric of Heironious. Hextor clerics immediately finance a fire brigade.
170. Mimics invade town, people are afraid to open their doors at the risk of a surprise punch to the face.
171. Lizardfolk steal sizable amount of the bananahoney produced by a howler wasp colony. Entire jungle turns to hell.
172. Mindflayers with magic crossbows! Ray gun massacre!
173. Blackguard raids 40 villages of their cakes, and that’s all kinds of terrible.
174. Four psionic juveniles with clubs wage all-out war on animals, aberrations, property and the elderly, believing themselves to be the sole hope of an alien invasion.
175. Sea trolls learn to windsurf. No ship is safe.
176. Dragon Turtle kidnaps myconid royalty, Adventurers not sure which castle she’s in.
177. Wereboar bugbear lord attempts to topple a small elven province with 88 of his finest men.
178. Halfling militia forms when many are sick of being picked up and cuddled and incite a race war.
179. New continent reveals stone age culture. Adventurers rule tribes and fight dinosaurs.
180. Class of warmages seek conquest and derive their power through their excessively styled hair, but are helpless in the presence of baldness.
181. Gnome effigy master by the name of Dr. Wire wreaks havoc with multiple theme-oriented constructs.
182. Barbarian holds a “hugeness” contest followed by a wrestling match.
183. Devil rises from infernal depths in search of the most “metal” man alive to imbue with his powers.
184. Orcish tribes “reinvent the wheel” as a rolling death machine.
185. Dwarven king is dying without an heir and looks for the most rugged looking man alive to take his place.
186. Circus full of cat burglars and bomb jugglers comes to town.
187. Evil monastery attempted to train a rust monster in their ways, instead creating a rust monster on speed.
188. Kraken wizards construct giant flying bathtubs to terrorize landdwellers.
189. Socially inept commoner finds a +2 keen “exotic bastard sword” and immediately goes out to become an assassin.
190. Warlocks all over the land bend over in preparation of their simultaneous pact renewal. Demons flood the world but commit no horror other than public indecency.
191. Anthropomorphic cultists invade and do the unspeakable. Heroes just happen to find a slew of fire-producing weapons and items.
192. Necropolitan pimp writes a best-selling self-help book. The damning ritual of his unlife becomes available on coffee tables the world over.
193. Performer somehow becomes a military advisor and turns boot camps into schools of dance.
194. Enemy marshal “Harry Pep” trains invading soldiers to charge into combat in barrels.
195. Adventurers are assigned to “rid the kingdom” of the lecherous and clearly insane cleric “Grigor Tinrasp,” but the man somehow survives every attack on his life.
196. Young fiend commits violent and terrible acts on the world and hides away in a dungeon made out of permanent dimension doors and bags of holding.
197. Masked lord plots gunpowder assassination against the wrong monarch.
198. Rocks die, everyone falls.
199. Dice falls. Everyone rocks.
200. Reroll.

aspekt
2015-02-23, 04:09 AM
As a player, I came up with a twist that caught all the rest of the players pretty well when it was finally revealed.

It was a Wild West game, and I told everyone that I was designing a character based on one of my favorite TV western heroes. So when I showed up with a half-Chinese martial artist named Cal Yang, everyone knew I was basically playing Kwai Chang Caine from Kung Fu. I got into the spirit, and everybody enjoyed the Eastern attitude I played.

Until late in the fourth episode, when my federal marshal, Calvin Young, dropped his disguise. I was actually playing Artemus Gordon, the disguise artist from The Wild, Wild West.

Yes.

May thy Muse inspire me as well someday.