PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me expand my trials

Guran
2015-02-17, 02:29 PM
Next session our brave and bold "heroes" will be traversing an abondoned serpent temple. Now in my campaign world there happens to be a serpent god who sees the entire multiverse as we know it as a mistake that must be done. So he is basicly followed by insane nihilists who crave oblivion. Not death, that would be to simple. They want to cease existing. They want all existence to cease. Eventually our "heroes" will venture through the cloister of trials. The same cloister of trials where the serpentworshippers had to go through before they could earn oblivion. But here my inspiration is failing me a little. Thus far I only have three trials:

The trial of patience. Oblivion will come in due time. The serpent lord will return in due time to undo all creation. Have patience. I will be playing an anoying elevator tune for two minutes. Well, actually I'm playing the tune until one of them opens their mouth and then I will restart the tune until they figured out they have to stfu.
The trial of acceptance. Maybe not the right name, but one that desires oblivion should be beyond the fear of death. Monsters will be unleashed upon the party and they'll have to let themselves be torn apart to proceed.
The trial of unbinding. Earthly attachments are a sign of weakness. Dispose of them. Here the characters will have to leave something valuable behind, something of personal value to be precise.

I would like to add more, but my inspiration is running dry. Any ideas?

Kid Jake
2015-02-17, 02:51 PM
I think I'd go easy on the trials; they sound interesting but if you have too many the players might start feeling like they're watching an extended cut-scene. The three you have sound pretty solid, but add too many more and it might get a little frustrating.

Flickerdart
2015-02-17, 03:12 PM
The trial of Libram - you encourage the players to throw their PHBs at you by subjecting them to a series of asinine trials. They pass the trial if they manage to knock you unconscious.

Marbled_Thief
2015-02-17, 03:17 PM
How about the Trial of Night? You could make them navigate some sort of maze in magical darkness.

endur
2015-02-17, 03:27 PM
So how do the players overcome the trials?

Do they have to figure it out using their player knowledge?

Does their PC have clues due to knowledge serpent god or some other knowledge skill?

Will an NPC give hints?

mikeejimbo
2015-02-17, 03:34 PM
Are the PCs oblivion-seeking nihilists?

Guran
2015-02-17, 03:49 PM
I think I'd go easy on the trials; they sound interesting but if you have too many the players might start feeling like they're watching an extended cut-scene. The three you have sound pretty solid, but add too many more and it might get a little frustrating.
Ok, maybe your right. I'll keep to these three then.

So how do the players overcome the trials?

Do they have to figure it out using their player knowledge?

Does their PC have clues due to knowledge serpent god or some other knowledge skill?

Will an NPC give hints?
They know about the god. At least for a little bit. And there will be clues throughout the temple.

Are the PCs oblivion-seeking nihilists?
After one of them taunted a blue dragon and one decided to stand in front of a boss while he had only 1 hp left, I am pondering that very same question.

Tommy_Dude
2015-02-17, 09:42 PM
I think there should be a fourth trial, one a bit more interesting. I don't know what level they are, but present them with helpless men and women in cages over a sphere of annihilation. The last puzzle is simple, bring the end of existence to these souls. (Have the room have some kind of ancient magic or something that completely destroys the helpless people's souls rather than letting them ascend to their respective resting places in the outer planes)