PDA

View Full Version : Protection from Evil = fire?

Nightblade
2015-02-17, 02:50 PM
What exactly is happening to Belkar in #969? I know the Giant doesn't always use game mechanics, but I admit that my knowledge of 3.5 is not infallible.

According to the spell, nothing should prevent Belkar from being able to benefit from the spell. It could, however, be acting as if it were a Holy weapon (Good-aligned) and bestowing a negative level.

Steveio
2015-02-17, 05:15 PM
I assume it's supposed to be holy energy/fire hurting Belkar.

Yes, Protection from Evil doesn't work that way in D&D, but the comic hasn't really been bound by D&D RAW in a long time.

Douglas
2015-02-18, 04:20 AM
Whatever is happening to Belkar there is 100% a houserule. By the official rules, Protection From Evil would not harm Belkar at all in any way.

Quild
2015-02-18, 05:46 AM
Note that he doesn't appear to lose any HP.

MrMercury
2015-02-18, 07:59 AM
Note that he doesn't appear to lose any HP.

Indeed, he appears to be merely in extreme discomfort/pain

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-02-18, 11:02 AM
I believe that a suggested explanation was that since the item itself was homebrewed, it has effects besides Protection from Evil when an Evil person wears it.

Boost
2015-02-18, 01:35 PM
Belkar is evil. The spell grants protection from evil. Which means it's trying to protect him from himself. Kind of like an effect that makes your body start to reject itself.

Think about what might happen if you cast Protection from Fire on a fire elemental. While RAW might not say it does anything, it makes a kind of intuitive sense that it would harm you. The protection spell in some way suppresses or douses the fire that is attacking you, so if your body were made of fire, it would be like it's trying to douse you.

Anarion
2015-02-18, 01:36 PM
Clearly, Belkar was 100% correct, the item was malfunctioning and he did the gnome a kindness by taking it off her hands at a discount. :smallwink:

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-02-18, 02:23 PM
Clearly, Belkar was 100% correct, the item was malfunctioning and he did the gnome a kindness by taking it off her hands at a discount. :smallwink:

That Belkar. What a thoughtful little soul he is.

Bulldog Psion
2015-02-18, 02:56 PM
Homebrewed, 100%.

Probably purely for the sake of communicating to the forum, "yes, he's still evil."

Reboot
2015-02-18, 05:32 PM
Probably purely for the sake of communicating to the forum, "yes, he's still evil."

Give him SOME credit. If it was purely for shutting down speculation, it could never have any effect on the plot in earnest.

martianmister
2015-02-18, 05:46 PM
Fire is a very popular form of ridding evil. Just ask minister Frollo.

littlebum2002
2015-02-18, 06:17 PM
It could, however, be acting as if it were a Holy weapon (Good-aligned) and bestowing a negative level.

I'm pretty sure this is it. Since there are no items which bestow Protection from Evil, the item has to be homebrewed, but it makes sense that such an item would be Good aligned, which does have stats and does act similar to how the ring is seen to act.

SiuiS
2015-02-18, 06:40 PM
It is entirely likely that the object which bestows protection from evil is itself a holy object. It would thus function similar to a holy weapon.

I mean think about it. It's basically the defense version isn't it? Holy weapon deals extra damage to evil and also irritates evil which holds it. Holy armor would have more protection against evil and have the same irritation factor against evil wielders.

INoKnowNames
2015-02-18, 06:47 PM
That interpretation makes sense, but makes me question how... or rather, why, it seems relatively simple in universe to craft Holy Equipment, such that any adventurer, including those who are evil unlucky enough to pick up malfunctioning variants can just walk into a store and snag one with a handful of platinum.