PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian - Path of the Berserker Fix

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-17, 04:38 PM
Author's Note: Lots of people have a problem with The Path of the Berserker subclass specifically because of the Frenzy ability. The other abilities seem fine for the most part (though a Cha-based ability on a class that otherwise doesn't use it is a little sad). That said, here's my fix for the Frenzy ability:

Design Intentions: The Berserker should be able to deal more damage than the Totem Warrior. However, the Berserker should carry some inherent risk when doing so, in order to keep up with the fantasy of the class.

This risk should be prominent, so that the player actually feels its relevance, but not lasting as the current state is.

Frenzy: Starting at level 3, a Path of the Berserker barbarian can choose to enter a frenzy when she chooses to enter a rage. While frenzying, the barbarian can make an additional Strength-based melee attack as a bonus action. However, when a barbarian ends her frenzy, she becomes tired and ineffective at combat. The barbarian's melee weapon damage is halved until she finishes a short or long rest.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-17, 05:37 PM
You should probably change it to strength based weapon damage.

A barbarian who picks up a bow or crossbow is using their body differently and shouldn't be penalized more so than they already will be.

Barbarian gets tired so they pick up a bow/crossbow till they aren't exhausted.

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-17, 05:44 PM
You should probably change it to strength based weapon damage.

A barbarian who picks up a bow or crossbow is using their body differently and shouldn't be penalized more so than they already will be.

Barbarian gets tired so they pick up a bow/crossbow till they aren't exhausted.

I don't understand. I said melee weapon damage is halved. Bows and crossbows aren't affected anyway...