PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Gnome illusionist - Shadows

Johnboy
2015-02-17, 04:43 PM
Ive built a gnome illusionist to the best of my ability but while doing so Ive come across the ability to get my shadow castings to over 100% quasireality. I haven't been able to find anything anywhere on if the percentage can be applied over 100%. Ability in question specifically from Shadowcraft Gnome, 3rd ability, which reads as follows:

(Races of Stone Pg 120) Shadow Illusion (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a shadowcraft mage is able to infuse some of her figments (see the list below) with material from the Plane of Shadow, making them partially real. The subschool of these spells changes from figment to shadow. A shadowcraft mage can use the altered spell to mimic any sorcerer or wizard conjuration (summoning), conjuration (creation), or evocation spell at least one level lower than the illusion spell. The altered spell functions identically to the shadow conjuration or shadow evocation spell, except that the spell's strength equals 10% per level of the figment spell used. For example, a shadowcraft mage who uses silent image to create an acid splash would deal 10% of the normal damage to a creature that succeeds on its Will save to disbelieve the shadow. If she used programmed image to mimic summon monster V, the creature would have 60% of the hit points of a normal creature of its kind, and its damage would be 60% normal against a creature that succeeds on its Will save to disbelieve. A shadowcraft mage can apply shadow illusion to any of the following figment spells: silent image, minor image, major image, persistent image, and programmed image.

If you have any info please reference if you can!

Rijan_Sai
2015-02-17, 05:19 PM
Shadowcraft Mage Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5638.0)

This is what you are looking for.

Johnboy
2015-02-17, 05:31 PM
Ive found that handbook already, which yes, was very useful. It along with a few other places I looked talks about getting the percentage over 100%. But that doesnt tell me its good to use. I know my DM and he will want more than just a handbook post on it. I found in All about illusions from D&D archive Rules of the Game that the quasireality is defined as:

(http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060228a) A shadow is only partially real whether a subject believes it is real or not. A shadow's degree of reality is expressed as a percentage given in the spell description. For example, a creature conjured with a shadow conjuration spell is only 20% real.

So then how can it be more than 100% real and deal more than 100% damage on ONLY SUCCESSFUL saving throws?

Heliomance
2015-02-17, 06:13 PM
Because it'sa rules quirk that the designers never intended. It works because nowhere does it day quasi reality is capped at 100%.

Psyren
2015-02-17, 06:53 PM
I know my DM and he will want more than just a handbook post on it.

If you know your DM and know that he will have a problem with this, why press the issue? Be happy you can get to 100% and leave it at that.