PDA

View Full Version : Mount Questions

xkaliburr
2015-02-17, 06:28 PM
The iconic knight, sitting atop his faithful steed.

In reality, knights had to replace their horses frequently, but within medieveal literature, and modern pop culture, horse riders tend to have a connection to their particular horse.

I am aware that the Paladin gets a special mount. I am aware of the Animal companions of the Druid and the Ranger. I also know of the Wild Cohort feat.

None of these however, really fit the flavor that I am looking for. A fighter or Knight with an urbane attitude is what I would want. Is there any way for one of them to have a horse (specifically a horse), which will scale. Is there any way for a horse to earn experience points, and level up to gain hit die?

endur
2015-02-17, 06:46 PM
The iconic knight, sitting atop his faithful steed.

In reality, knights had to replace their horses frequently, but within medieveal literature, and modern pop culture, horse riders tend to have a connection to their particular horse.

I am aware that the Paladin gets a special mount. I am aware of the Animal companions of the Druid and the Ranger. I also know of the Wild Cohort feat.

None of these however, really fit the flavor that I am looking for. A fighter or Knight with an urbane attitude is what I would want. Is there any way for one of them to have a horse (specifically a horse), which will scale. Is there any way for a horse to earn experience points, and level up to gain hit die?

I'd ask your GM if your fighter or knight can have a paladin mount. Paladin Horses scale nicely.

Or ask if you can have an awakened horse as a cohort, and have the cohort gain fighter or ranger levels.

Psyren
2015-02-17, 06:51 PM
PF's Cavalier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier) seems like what you want. They are a mundane fighter-ish base class that still gets a scaling horse/mount.

DeltaEmil
2015-02-17, 07:15 PM
Be a member in a party that includes a a wizard that does not have conjuration spells barred. The wizard casts mount for you from level 1-5. Beginning with level 6, the wizard casts phantom steed for you.

At level 14, pay the wizard enough money to make you an eternal wand of phantom steed (caster level 14) for 30,340 gold. Invest enough ranks into Use Magic Device to succeed the DC 20 check to use a wand. Also, invest enough ranks to succeed on the DC 20 Ride check to control a horse mount in battle that has not been trained in combat riding or is a warhorse.

Now you have a flying mount.

"But the mount won't fight/has no combat riding training." It doesn't have, and you won't miss the pathetic hoof and trample attack damage anyway. What you want is simply the charge bonus for your lance, which even untrained mounts can give you when they charge an enemy without attacking it at the end of the charge.

"But isn't the Ride check to control your non-combat-trained mount in battle a move action ?" Yes. But you still get the benefits of a charge if your mount charges, even if you only have a standard action left. Get the +2 bonus to attack rolls, and the double damage you deal with a lance.

"But those mounts have lousy AC and few hit points." Yeah, that's a problem. But since those mounts can be easily replaced, and only serve to haul you from your starting location to the enemy's space and allow you to gain the charge benefits for your lance, it's no big loss, unless you're flying very high with a phantom steed at caster level 14. Then I hope you have some kind of feather fall-effect on you.

Flickerdart
2015-02-17, 11:35 PM
I compiled a list of useful mounted PrCs here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?317333-The-Stig-building-the-ultimate-rider). Battle Maiden looks perfect for you - the horse she gets improves while being a permanent rather than summon-able steed, and there's no paladinly stuff involved except a mandatory Lawful alignment and fluff about devotion that would be a fine fit for any knight.

Coidzor
2015-02-18, 06:02 AM
Just so we're clear, what's your problem with Wild Cohort?

xkaliburr
2015-02-18, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Endur- What do you think would balance getting the trusty steed? Like what should each of those classes give up.

Psyren- That class looks great, but our DM banned Pathfinder classes. He says they are way more powerful than 3.5 classes. That looks like what the Knight class should have been though.

DeltaEmil- While very powerful and handy, I am looking for a way to have a particular horse.

Flickerdart- That looks almost exactly what I am looking for. Provided my DM will allow a reflux to make it non-eastern style.

Coidzor- From what I can tell, its meant for a wild animal that becomes your friend. This is more akin to the classic majestic mount.

Greenish
2015-02-18, 11:08 AM
Coidzor- From what I can tell, its meant for a wild animal that becomes your friend. This is more akin to the classic majestic mount.I can help you with that.

You have a special bond with a wild animal, and it is willing to travel and adventure with you.There.

Now it may just be me, but that doesn't seem like a great deal more effort than converting Battle Maiden. The obvious downside, of course, is that you don't get the ability to telepathically communicate with your mount, which is basically essential for the iconic knight.

Segev
2015-02-18, 11:19 AM
A while back, I was making some feats (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BWI2n1Xg1okUhHNABnXN0yShhgRmRYp4vaUq2SI1Hp4/edit?usp=sharing) designed to be higher-powered than normal, hopefully bringing those who take them up the Tier scale a bit. Scroll down to the "Mount-Related Feats" for ones that are attempting to apply your power level to scaling up your mount, or at least making it as durable an extension of your abilities as your sword, armor, and whatnot.

Psyren
2015-02-18, 11:19 AM
Remember also that "wild" doesn't have to mean "I found him in a cave/the woods somewhere. "Wild" simply means "hasn't been domesticated yet." Shadowfax was wild, but he still lived in a stable until Gandalf showed up and trolled Théoden.

Your "wild" scaling horse could just be exceptionally strong-willed for his kind because reasons and thus be destined to bear the stalwart hero of the land (i.e. you.)

Urpriest
2015-02-18, 02:13 PM
Leadership also works. It won't get you a horse, sure, but that's really only relevant at levels where "knight on a horse" is thematically appropriate. Once you're high enough level to graduate to "knight on a Pegasus" or the like you're fine.

Flickerdart
2015-02-18, 02:30 PM
Leadership also works. It won't get you a horse, sure, but that's really only relevant at levels where "knight on a horse" is thematically appropriate.
You can get a were-horse though (as long as it's some kind of sinister carnivorous horse).

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-18, 02:38 PM
You can get a were-horse though (as long as it's some kind of sinister carnivorous horse).

This! This is what you should be riding; riding it in its hybrid form.

Giddy-up!

Zaq
2015-02-18, 03:04 PM

Wasn't one of the Labors of Hercules to deal with man-eating mares (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labours_of_Hercules#Eighth_Labour:_Mares_of_Diomed es)? Just find a were-one of those.

Coidzor
2015-02-18, 04:25 PM

David Eddings has your sinister, carnivorous horse needs covered. (http://davideddings.wikia.com/wiki/Hrulgin)