PDA

View Full Version : help me fine tune my gish please

bjoern
2015-02-17, 09:41 PM
I'm finishing up my concept build for a new Gish that I'm going to put into use this Saturday.

I made this guy because my previous character, a sorcerer/incantatrix, was too powerful for the party.

No one asked me to make the change, and they are all currently unaware that I'm going to make the change .

My old character would completely outshine everyone when he would participate in battle. I would have to spend my turns flying around, using spells in a willy nilly manner so that I didn't end the encounter. Or I would entertain myself by trying to shoot stuff with my crossbow every turn (so as to not one shot kill stuff)

Needless to say, this was definately boring for me, and frustrating for the DM. I'd say the group is low optimization. I've been playing with this group for 12 years, and they optimize as much as they did on day 1.....very little. Myself, on the other hand, I have always poured through books looking for the beat ways to stitch stuff together when making characters.

Anyway, all 3 other players are mundanes , one has some sneak attack, the other has a fireball spell like ability.

I can't bring myself to make a junk characterthat is jUST dreadful, as I would again be bored. So I thought that making a melee focused gish would be a good fit.

here's what I got.

Silver brow human Paladin of Freedom 2, sorcerer 4, spellsword 1, abjurant champion 1.

Feats:
Flaws: unnatentive, murky eyed.

Arcane preparation, power attack, hold the line, close quarters fighting, combat casting, combat reflexes.

Spells (known and rune staff) grease, magic missile, benign transposition, shield, darkvision, shocking grasp, alter self, invisibility, see invisibility, glitterdust, wraithstrike, luminous armor, haste

Gear: +1spellstoring sudden stunning cold iron great sword with lesser life stealing crystal. 2 wand chambers: fist of stone & rhinos rush

Masterwork silver heavy flail

Masterwork elvencraft composite longbow (+4 strength) custom runestaff 3 wand chambers, power word pain, blockade, cure light wounds. Arrows, cold iron arrows, silver arrows.

Belt of battle, third eye clarity, anklet of translocation, vest of resistance +5, ring of protection +1,

We are above WBL for level 8.

Also, I spent my feats on the melee side of Gish because I'm a little gun shy about jacking up my casting side, having seen how dominating casting can be in low op groups. I can't bring myself to ditch casting altogether though.

My plan for using this guy would be to use what spells I have to buff other party members (haste, invisibility, etc) then sit back and plink stuff with my bow since we have 2 melee types already, then if needed, use some BFC (grease/glitterdust) to give us the advantage again.
And lastly , if we need more meat on the front line, I'll beef up with AC bonuses and move in with my pointy stick.

What do ya think? Too much, too little, just right?

Karl Aegis
2015-02-17, 10:50 PM
Drop Magic Missile for Enlarge Person if you're going to keep Combat Reflexes. Feat is worthless with only 5 ft reach. If going ranged get Ray of Enfeeblement.

You have almost no gold invested in your primary form of attack. You have no feats invested into your primary form of attack. Get some archery feats so you don't feel worthless most of the time. Likewise, Shocking Grasp isn't worth much to you.

WeaselGuy
2015-02-17, 11:17 PM
If you want to chill on the back lines as a(n) (under-powered) gish, why not lean towards an Arcane Archer? Maybe do something like Wizard 1/Ranger 6 with Sword of the Arcane Order, then into Arcane Archer for x levels, and finish up with y levels of Abjurant Champion?

For gear, since you're starting at higher levels, see if you can get Hank's Energy Bow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a).

DMVerdandi
2015-02-17, 11:18 PM
You could just play a Duskblade.
Pretty low OP, you still get the gish flavor without all of the utility spells which end up making you more powerful than your group.

Or you could play a cleric or druid, since the group doesn't seem to have any way of buffing themselves or native healing, and depowering them by taking ACFs

(cleric by taking smite instead of turn undead, druid by taking druidic avenger, and deadly hunter)