PDA

View Full Version : Dice increase of spells

Melcar
2015-02-18, 08:54 AM
Hey...

I was thinking of ways of improving upon the blaster mage... Yes this might not be the most powerful way of playing the role of god, but it sure is fun to se the look on the DM when you blast something for over 200 damage. Anyways... I have been thinking of changing or creating (as in homebrewing) some improved versions of spells lige Moonbow and Orb of X line of spells.

In that matter I wanted to hear your thought of increasing the spells dice size to d8, d10 and d12, in terms of what level those versions might present them selves on, and just a general thought of what you think of the idea in general.

If there should be some RAW rule against this, please inform me, and possibly disregarded for 1 sec, while answering this question of mine.

As always.... Thanks

Max Caysey
2015-02-18, 09:19 PM
I know of no rule against this.

Crake
2015-02-18, 09:27 PM
Well, the Purify spell metamagic does exactly this, except only against evil outsiders. It's a +1 metamagic, but it also has the added benefit of not hurting good, and only half damage to neutral creatures.

As for it's damage progression, it goes 1d6 -> 1d8 -> 2d6 so skip the D10 and d12, basically d6 -> d8 -> d6*2 -> d8*2 etc etc

If you wanted to homebrew it, I'd say that, due to purify being so specific as to it's target, +1 is not enough for across the board. +2 seems reasonable per damage die increase, also increasing the cap as appropriate (Increasing fireball from 3rd-5th for the d8 increase for example should also come with a higher cap, probably 15 dice over 10?)