PDA

View Full Version : sling, returning bullets

dehro
2015-02-18, 09:59 AM
so.. there's a nifty property that is called "returning".. if I wanted to apply it to the sling, would I have to enchant the sling or the bullets? and each individually or as a whole?

Greenish
2015-02-18, 10:30 AM
so.. there's a nifty property that is called "returning".. if I wanted to apply it to the sling, would I have to enchant the sling or the bullets? and each individually or as a whole?You'd have to ask the DM whose houserules allowed you to apply Returning to a sling. Seems like a waste of money to me, though, given that any bullets that hit, and half of the ones that miss, are destroyed.

dehro
2015-02-18, 10:36 AM
You'd have to ask the DM whose houserules allowed you to apply Returning to a sling. Seems like a waste of money to me, though, given that any bullets that hit, and half of the ones that miss, are destroyed.

derp.. I had not considered that...

Darrin
2015-02-18, 10:40 AM
DMG: "Returning: This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown."

Counting a sling or sling stones as a thrown weapon is a bit dodgy... if we go by strict RAW, slings and sling stones are not thrown weapons, although they are usually grouped in with thrown weapons. You can throw the stones without the sling, but presumably they'd count as improvised weapons. But then you run into another problem:

DMG: "When a magic arrow, crossbow bolt, or sling bullet misses its target, there is a 50% chance it breaks or otherwise is rendered useless. A magic arrow, bolt, or bullet that hits is destroyed."

So... even if you could enchant sling stones with the returning property, the only time it would work is if you missed your target, and there's a 50% chance the bullet will be destroyed before it can return.

Lightlawbliss
2015-02-18, 10:52 AM
option c: just carry more bullets

Tohsaka Rin
2015-02-18, 08:45 PM
Just get a wondrous item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bolt.htm) made for you.

A 1st level item of Bolt should be cheap as chips.

Coidzor
2015-02-18, 11:03 PM
What you really want here is either a way to just have infinite ammo to stop worrying about mundane ammunition or a way to convince your DM to allow you to have Raptor Arrows(Magic Item Compendium, IIRC) that are sling bullets instead of arrows.