PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ability focus and hexes

Icarion
2015-02-18, 10:00 AM
Hi!
I've been reading different guides and posts about using ability focus in witch builds, in many of them this feat is to be "approved or not" by de DM... -> this beacuse its a "monster feat" i assume (for the comments on the posts).
However i have noted that the actual prerrequisite its "Special attack" (to be enhanced by the feat).

Question: Are hexes special attacks? ( i don't thinks so...)

What are your thoughts? I have a female elven witch (lvl6) and currently playing skull and shackles.

Thanx for the feedback !! :)

Psyren
2015-02-18, 10:22 AM
1) "Monster Feat" does not mean "only monsters can take it." This is a common misnomer stretching back to 3.5. Bestiary says:

Most of the following feats apply specifically to monsters, although some player characters might qualify for them (particularly Craft Construct).

Thus it is possible for PCs to take them - you need only qualify, just like any other feat.

Which brings us to your second question:

2) Hexes are special attacks. There are several pieces of evidence supporting this.

- Hexes are supernatural abilities, which makes them special abilities (CRB 554), and the offensive hexes are also attacks; as was the case in 3.5, these two criteria are all you need for something to be considered a "special attack" unless otherwise specified. Ability focus can be applied to nearly any one of a creature's supernatural, spell-like or extraordinary attacks, because these are all listed under the "special abilities" heading, making them special attacks.

- Monstrous witch statblocks with hexes, like the Penanggalen (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/unique-monsters/cr-5/penanggalen) (B3 216), specifically list their hexes in their "special attacks" line. This demonstrates designer intent. Note also that the sample monster linked above is a template, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/penanggalen-cr-1) and that the hexes listed in its sample entry actually all come from its witch levels.

- "Hexes" are specifically listed in the "special ability index" in Bestiary 2 3 (B3 317) alongside other, more common special attacks like "gaze" and "frightful presence." Since hexes are explicitly special abilities, and the offensive ones are undeniably attacks, they are therefore "special attacks" - see first bullet.

So to conclude, both RAW and RAI support witch hexes being legal targets for Ability Focus.

stack
2015-02-18, 11:18 AM
Psyren's explanation needs a permalink for future reference when this comes up. I should save it on s generic witch character sheet.

Icarion
2015-02-18, 11:56 AM
thnx psyren!! :D

Spore
2015-02-18, 05:57 PM
The main point is to ask your DM if he allows feats out of the beastiary books. She should tho, because it's the first one and one of the two books every PF player should have after some point.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-02-19, 02:18 AM
Some hexes are Sp or Ex, not all are Su. Still, those are also special attacks (well, the ones used offensively, at least). But yeah, that about covered it. Special Attacks is pretty broad, it even covers some buffs. Most notably, Rage.

Crake
2015-02-19, 03:16 AM
I suppose the real question is, does ability focus apply separately to each individual hex, requiring an additional copy of the ability focus feat each, or does one ability focus cover them all?

Feint's End
2015-02-19, 04:05 AM
I suppose the real question is, does ability focus apply separately to each individual hex, requiring an additional copy of the ability focus feat each, or does one ability focus cover them all?

That's an interesting question. My guess is it only applies to a single one since they are seperate abilities. An indicator would be if each hex is listed separately under special attacks (in the bestiary) or if they are grouped together.

Psyren?

Psyren
2015-02-19, 10:47 AM
You would choose one, just like you would have to choose a specific SLA with the feat among the ones you can use. "Hex" is a category of special attack that can have multiple sub-variations (much like "breath weapon") and you have to focus each one you possess individually.