PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Imposing Advantage/Disadvantage

Epoch
2015-02-18, 10:01 AM
Hey gang, I'm AFB right now but something I've been curious about: In combat, when granting advantage on a PC/NPC's attack roll, does that mean that the target of the attack must have disadvantage on their attack roll as well?

Example: Let's say Hero A is fighting Monster B up a staircase. A has the high ground, so I decide to give him advantage on his attack rolls. Does this mean that I must also make B take disadvantage on his attack rolls? Or is it one or the other? I really love the concept of this mechanic, I just want to make sure I'm using it correctly.

Also, general thoughts on Advantage/Disadvantage and how it is handled at your table.

Fwiffo86
2015-02-18, 10:07 AM
Hey gang, I'm AFB right now but something I've been curious about: In combat, when granting advantage on a PC/NPC's attack roll, does that mean that the target of the attack must have disadvantage on their attack roll as well?

Example: Let's say Hero A is fighting Monster B up a staircase. A has the high ground, so I decide to give him advantage on his attack rolls. Does this mean that I must also make B take disadvantage on his attack rolls? Or is it one or the other? I really love the concept of this mechanic, I just want to make sure I'm using it correctly.

Also, general thoughts on Advantage/Disadvantage and how it is handled at your table.

No. If Hero A has advantage to attack Villain B, Villain B does not automatically have Disadvantage to attack Hero A. They are separate things. It is quite possible for both of them to have advantage when attacking each other, or both have disadvantage.

Only when advantage and disadvantage are applied to the same roll do they cancel each other out.

Daishain
2015-02-18, 10:07 AM
It isn't strictly one or the other. The only question is whether or not you think B would have a harder time striking A.

I would say that B has neither advantage nor disadvantage in this particular case, because his ability to hit A is not significantly impaired. A just has a bit of extra potential energy and leverage at hand.

Epoch
2015-02-18, 10:21 AM
Okay awesome. Thanks for clearing that up!