PDA

View Full Version : forsaker Vs Damage reduction and immunity

dehro
2015-02-18, 11:40 AM
A forsaker cannot use magic weapons.. there are plenty of creatures out there who are either immune or seriously reduce attacks by non magical weapons.

does that take the forsaker out of play completely, against them??

The Viscount
2015-02-18, 02:17 PM
This is precisely the point of Forsaker's 3rd level ability, Natural Weapons. If you have DR/magic, your natural weapons are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming DR. Forsaker gains DR/magic, thus natural weapons overcome DR. At level 3 you can bestow this benefit on any weapon you wield.

Thurbane
2015-02-18, 06:12 PM
Dragonborn Raptoran Forsaker... :smallwink:

From memory, a Forsker's SR stacks with other innate SR, so you can pump it fairly high.

The Viscount
2015-02-19, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure I understand the point of a Dragonborn Raptoran Forsaker. Is it so that access to flight and breath weapon lessen the downsides of no magic?

As for the SR it does stack, which is very nice, even if it's an artifact of the class never being updated. I happened to use that in an Iron Chef build once. Forsaker also says nothing about psionics and other forms of "magic" (pact, truenaming, incarnum) so these might be fair game to use as well. I happened to also use that in an Iron Chef build. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2015-02-19, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure I understand the point of a Dragonborn Raptoran Forsaker. Is it so that access to flight and breath weapon lessen the downsides of no magic?

That was the thought process, yes.

As for the SR it does stack, which is very nice, even if it's an artifact of the class never being updated. I happened to use that in an Iron Chef build once. Forsaker also says nothing about psionics and other forms of "magic" (pact, truenaming, incarnum) so these might be fair game to use as well. I happened to also use that in an Iron Chef build. :smallbiggrin:

I remember that entry. A very good one, I might add.

dehro
2015-02-20, 05:37 AM
I am playing a goliath warrior aiming to have him toss his angry barbarian Dwarven sidekick into the faces of opponents.
The more I look at the forsaker, the more I am under the impression that he's got some impressive looking bonuses which however are there primarily to compensate for the massive drawbacks of not being able to use magic, items or powers... And They don't always succeed at it.. I feel that average budget for magic items would serve better and make for a more versatile character than the forsaken will ever be... With better chances at surviving too, unless you toss every bonus he gets in constitution.

The whole "destroy magic stuff to get a bonus" sounds cool in a setting where your allies have no use for magic items and have no interest in selling them off for profit, or in a campaign where you basically play alone or in which magic stuff is over-abundant. In any other scenario, this is a mayor pain in the butt

Thurbane
2015-02-20, 04:17 PM
Forsaker is a bit like VoP...it's a great concept, but given the 3.X reliance on items (or being a spellcaster) it is virtually impossible to pull off.

The Viscount
2015-02-21, 11:49 AM
Note that you only get DR from destroying items, and there's nothing that says you have to do it, so in many cases it's better to simply ignore that.

Forsaker is exceptionally hard, the only way I could actually see using it work is if some off-brand "magic" (psionics, etc) is allowed.