PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Solo planescape character ideas

Sam K
2015-02-18, 01:38 PM
So, after a long break, I'm getting back together with my old DM for a game or three of 3.5 The setting will be planescape (which pretty much means I can end up anywhere), it will be a solo game, though I'll likely be able to aquire some supporting cast if needed (I know, DMPC bad, but we've always managed to get them to work as supporting cast, not overshadowing the main character).

TL;DR I'm rambling about what char to make, probably more because writing helps me think than any real hope that someone will reveal something I've forgotten. Just go read another thread if you have a short attention span :)

Start at level 1, with the exception that if I want to use a race with level adjustment I can start as the ECL of that race at lvl 1. It hasn't been specified that this applies to templates too, but it probably will. LA buyoff is allowed, but knowing us, the game wont run to the highest level (if we get to level 10 that'd be better than we use to average).

Anything 3.5 goes (3rd party is up for debate, but probably not - dragon mag not specified, but expect it to count as 3rd party). We tend to play fair but tough; bad luck and dice rolls WILL get me killed even if I didn't earn it. This tends to make for atleast mid-powered games, and our inofficiall agreement has always been that power is fine, shenanigans is ok if they're amusing and make for a good game, but leave the cheese in France. Cheese generally includes anything involving early entry to casting PRCs, arguments that go "you could read that to mean..." and dragonwrought kobolds. Or any kobolds. Both me and the DM hate small races, especially gnomes.

So, I'm looking for some good ideas for character builds. Because it's a solo game, I figure I need some flexibility. Planescape can put you in alot of situations that you don't really have a chance to prepare for, so flexibility is key. At the same time, because I start at level 1 solo, a pure caster might be risky (there's noone to drag my -8hp body away from that angry housecat). I generally prefer T3 or T2 characters because they have options while still being able to "play well with others", but in a solo game I feel I could go T1 (though with the lower level, it might not be worth it). I don't see myself doing T4 or lower, unless I was planning on a specific build (like wildshape mystic ranger or something - though that may be dragon mag).

We do RP pretty heavily, so I might not be able to get into specific PRCs unless I actually meet the fluff requirements. DM is usually flexible on this, but I'd rather not bet my entire build on being at the right place at the right level. But when you travel the planes, you tend to have options...

Rolled my stats and got some good ones:

Have some ideas already, but I figured I might as well get some extra input. Open for completely different stuff, though keep in mind it should be playable from level 1 and up.

Druid. Obviously. Great at level 1, greater still at level 6, still great at level 20. Honestly, the main thing I don't like about it is that it's so predictive. There's really no reason to go outside of druid. Also, because I have good stats all around, wild shape isn't as great as it is on more average rolls. I have a hard(ish) time coming up with good fluff for a planehopping druid, but I could probably come up with something.

Cleric. Again, pretty obvious. Unlike druid, LOTS of build options with PRCs and domains. Because of starting at lvl 1, cloistered cleric may not be ideal. I wont be persisting divine power for a while. Still, I could def. have some fun with this.

Archivist. You may be noticing a trend here... archivist has the possibility of being the best divine caster. Weaker up front (less spells known at start, lowish hp, no heavy armor), but I do see some interesting options. With my stats and knowledge devotion, I could work as a backup-melee early levels (I'm really worried about the first 5 or so levels if I go primary caster). Summoning is good if you're lonely, if you're plane-hopping you should have good options to find new scrolls. The character always have motivations to go places, and finding new spells is always a good motivation to adventure. I do worry about the book keeping though, and the fact that my DM isn't super-deep in the 3.5 knowledge (it's not his main system).

Wizard. Honestly, wizard feels like it would be 5-6 levels of waiting for power, and the game may have ran it's course when I get it. d4 hp isn't a big deal in the long run, but initially it can be pretty bad. I suppose some of the AFCs could reduce the vulnerability, though?

Bard. Really don't know how to build them. It does seem like an optimized bard could make a great solo character though. Buffing aspect is not so appealing for a solo character, but stealth and diplomacy could help to keep me out of trouble. Snowflake wardance could really help with the melee.

Any initiator. Strong early levels makes a good case for initiators. Stays relevant, although might have trouble adopting to some planar conditions. But hey, I could go warforged and not worry so much. Really don't like the fluff for RKV (I have a thing against lawful) but might be allowed to refluff it...

Am I missing any obvious contenders?

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-18, 01:52 PM
What about an ardent or a wilder? They both get some go armor proficiencies and with powers like toughness and force screen are able to stand up in combat like champs.

They both sit nicely in the T2-3 range which I believe you said you were interested and both can be build to summon, self-heal, blast, buff up for melee combat and wilder actually has a great skill list with decent skill points.

HammeredWharf
2015-02-18, 02:15 PM
Maybe a factotum? It's Versatility: The Class, solid throughout the game, good at combat and the best at skill-based encounters and offers plenty of options for customization.

Sam K
2015-02-18, 02:21 PM
I don't really know ardent, which book is it from? Factotum is one of those classes I keep thinking I should learn more about. This might be a good time... maybe factotum into chameleon for ultimate flexibility. Somewhat figure a character like that might be better for a urban/espionage campaign though?

Wilder (and psion for that matter - they can still wear the armor as long as they don't plan to move around too much) and def. options. When I've played psions before I always burned through my power points too fast, though. Don't think I could get away with infinite power point tricks.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-18, 02:28 PM
I don't really know ardent, which book is it from? Factotum is one of those classes I keep thinking I should learn more about. This might be a good time... maybe factotum into chameleon for ultimate flexibility. Somewhat figure a character like that might be better for a urban/espionage campaign though?

Wilder (and psion for that matter - they can still wear the armor as long as they don't plan to move around too much) and def. options. When I've played psions before I always burned through my power points too fast, though. Don't think I could get away with infinite power point tricks.

Ardents are in Complete Psionics. They manifest off of wis and get medium bab. They've got a really interesting method of power selection.

I like that the wilder gets medium bab and armor without having to spend a feat of it so unlike the psion, if you run out of power points you're not just a complete chunk. Wild surge is great for preserving power points also.

I played a factotum 3/swordsage 2/chameleon 10/master of the nine 5 for a brief period and had a load of fun with it. If you decide against going with something psionic it would be my recommendation.

Actually a binder would be really cool in planescape also.

EDIT: Wilder, Ardent, and Factotum are my three favorite base classes. If you end up going with any one of them I'm happy to provide whatever insight I can.

HammeredWharf
2015-02-18, 02:44 PM
Factotum is one of those classes I keep thinking I should learn more about. This might be a good time... maybe factotum into chameleon for ultimate flexibility. Somewhat figure a character like that might be better for a urban/espionage campaign though?

Better, maybe, but factotums are also solid melee combatants with some spells to back that up and make great one man dungeon parties due to their vast selection of skills. Additionally, they're great at knowing things, which is very useful in Planescape. Both factotum/chameleon and straight factotum are good options. Eight levels of factotum give you extra standard actions, which is very useful with few party members. If you're alone, that ability will nearly double your actions.

Sam K
2015-02-18, 04:09 PM
Well, you guys have added 3 more classes for me to consider :) I think I'll have to sleep on it!

aspekt
2015-02-18, 04:36 PM
Factotum is probably the way to go, but in defense of Bards: a self buffed Bard with healing wands (UMD), blur, and Inspire can be pretty impressive.

Brookshw
2015-02-18, 04:46 PM
Both me and the DM hate small races, especially gnomes.

I knew there was a reason I liked you :smallwink:

Back on topic, what exactly is it you want to play? A setting like Planescape with it's philosophical orientation always leaves me asking first, "who is the character, what do they believe" rather than what class are they.

Sam K
2015-02-19, 05:41 AM
I knew there was a reason I liked you :smallwink:

Back on topic, what exactly is it you want to play? A setting like Planescape with it's philosophical orientation always leaves me asking first, "who is the character, what do they believe" rather than what class are they.

I also make great coffee!

To be honest, I always start with the mechanics. Once I know what a character is capable of, I find the personality comes naturally.

I do know that I want flexibility. I want a character that can approach a problem from several different directions and pick the solution that best matches my current goals. I'm thinking that I'll be taking a wanderer approach; someone not strictly tied down to one ideal, cause or alignment, but rather exploring the philosophies of the planes. Ardent is looking pretty good for that, or maybe a cleric of an ideal. Not that much to work with, I know!

Eldan
2015-02-19, 06:36 AM
Since you mentioned Druid, have you thought about Planar Shepherd? Yes, it is cheese on toast. But in a solo game, that shouldn't be too bad and depending on the plane one chooses, it's a lot less abusive. I was mainly thinking that you mentioned a lack of druid fluff ideas. Planar Shepherd should give you some.

Sam K
2015-02-19, 06:41 AM
Faiths of Eberron is one of the few books I don't have access to, so unless the PRC was published legally online I sadly cannot use it.

Sam K
2015-02-20, 08:00 PM
Ok, update on this:

I decided to go with Ardent, and a dip or two from swordsage. This isn't totally optimized (obviously), but it lets me use my two favorite sub-systems (ToB and psionics). Too bad there is no class that advances both at the same time, atleast not to my knowledge. Starting as swordsage and planning on using the dark template from tome of magic for some insane bonuses to stealth. In a solo game, being sneaky is always an advantage, and I figure my swordsage moves will really help me get through the early levels where an ardent might be a bit limited by lack of powerpoints.

Pondering my base race though; considered elan because I like the idea of an eternal planewalker, and their abilities makes them more survivable. Being able to use powerpoints to negate damage could be a life saver (again, not optimized at high levels, but at low and mid I can see it having some value), but it's hard to give up the humans skillpoints and feat.

Not really sure which way I want to go with my ardent powers yet. I'm not dedicated to being a gish (although obviously my swordsage side suggests that), and I figure I could pick some swordsage moves that compliment whatever I want to do as an ardent. Still taking suggestions on that.