PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Wizard names

Sivar
2015-02-18, 01:56 PM
Hello people of the internet! I made a wizard/bard for a new campaign, he is slightly crazy and will occasional do stuff completely random. I was wondering if anyone had names for a crazy wizard If so please comment.

Greenish
2015-02-18, 01:59 PM
There are some who call me... Tim.

What race/culture is he? Did he come up with his own name after becoming a (crazy) wizard, or did his parents name him?

Sivar
2015-02-18, 02:00 PM
He is human after he was cared for by bandits as a baby, his bandit family was killed by adventurers they felt sorry for his so they gave him to a sailor. The sailor brought him across seas to Grey hawk where he now sits in confusion of his childhood.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-18, 02:02 PM
Reginald Spellington III

The Great Merlin-o

Xerxes Von Doom

Dr. Horton, King of Illusions

Hensforth Expelled

Snowbluff
2015-02-18, 02:03 PM
I name my characters after Mars and its moons in both Latin and Greek. :smalltongue:

I can let you use Sir Pimpington, but I want credit on it.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-18, 06:23 PM
I really think you should go with Hensforth Expelled. After going to wizard college for a few years his masters summoned him to a special chamber and announced to him:

"You are henceforth expelled. Leave this school, you must find your own way in the world."

Your character thought they were giving him a special wizard title upon his graduation.

Suteinu
2015-02-18, 06:29 PM
"You are henceforth expelled. Leave this school, you must find your own way in the world."

Oh, yes, this is good! If you don't go the Wisdom 3 route as described by (Un)Inspired, your wizard can wear this title as a badge of defiance!

Loxagn
2015-02-18, 06:52 PM
Once, as a joke, played a wizard named Phrederick Inball. Highly eccentric, hard of hearing, and wore coke-bottle glasses to account for his notoriously poor eyesight. Highly fond of the 'Orb' line of spells.

It wasn't until the party saw a letter he wrote until the joke hit home.

With regards,
Mr P. Inball, Wizard

Books were thrown.

Thurbane
2015-02-18, 06:54 PM
http://dicelog.com/yafnag

Alford Deerdel Jeregnon Porbainly
Angur Elota Jesmonan Rigala
Barrey Farmie Khris Samussesa
Bertan Fingarong Leuda Sedoughan
Bricric Finnah Madok Siventhe
Brigeric Fordane Meirlyn Srases
Bringuy Frith Moritta Suabil
Cermines Gaute Nimrotur Tableseibe
Charth Grondur Nyrann Thewell
Cuanna Isabel Oshulle Vaine

gom jabbarwocky
2015-02-18, 08:06 PM
Reginald Cuftbert

Orville Pennyworth

Bobwise Goodchild

Herschel Phatman

Still, Henceforth Expelled is really great.

Arbane
2015-02-18, 08:07 PM
I really think you should go with Hensforth Expelled. After going to wizard college for a few years his masters summoned him to a special chamber and announced to him:

Your character thought they were giving him a special wizard title upon his graduation.

If he doesn't use this one, I'm going to! (I'm making a wizard for a 2nd ed game...)

Another idea I had was a gnome pyromancer named Phorus Foss.

Snowbluff
2015-02-18, 08:08 PM
Once, as a joke, played a wizard named Phrederick Inball. Highly eccentric, hard of hearing, and wore coke-bottle glasses to account for his notoriously poor eyesight. Highly fond of the 'Orb' line of spells.

Books were thrown.
Obviously, you couldn't read them, anyway. :smalltongue:
Cuz the pinball wizard is blind.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-18, 08:11 PM
Jim Earl Jones

bjoern
2015-02-18, 08:53 PM
Dooder McPicklepuffer

M Placeholder
2015-02-19, 07:37 AM
Cedric the Necromancer.

Kraken
2015-02-19, 07:55 AM
Harold Huxtable Hamilton. Or Triple H for short. :smallbiggrin:

Renen
2015-02-19, 12:29 PM
Just an FYI, wizards learn to be wizards. They aren't born so. So why would your parents give you an awesome wizard name if they don't know you have aptitude/desire for wizardry.

Know the recent Disney live action movie Maleficent? What confuses me about it, is what kind of parents name their kid that unless they know that one day she will temporary turn into an evil witch (well... Fey)

KillianHawkeye
2015-02-19, 07:21 PM

Books were thrown.

OMG, that's hilarious! I am so gonna steal this idea! :smallamused::smallcool:

Wallraven
2015-02-19, 07:59 PM
Reginald Cuftbert

Orville Pennyworth

Bobwise Goodchild

Herschel Phatman

In the same vein...

Benedict Cumberbatch

:smallbiggrin:

Marlowe
2015-02-19, 08:34 PM
Just an FYI, wizards learn to be wizards. They aren't born so. So why would your parents give you an awesome wizard name if they don't know you have aptitude/desire for wizardry.

Know the recent Disney live action movie Maleficent? What confuses me about it, is what kind of parents name their kid that unless they know that one day she will temporary turn into an evil witch (well... Fey)

The same kind of parents that name their daughters things like Emily (=stranger), Mary (=Bitter), Kelly (=Contentious), Andrea (=Manly. OK, that one's not bad. Just silly on a girl), or, for those that like the classics; Antigone (="Opposed to family").

Girls names are a minefield.

Deophaun
2015-02-19, 09:53 PM

Books were thrown.
Did he constantly call for healing?

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-19, 10:07 PM
The same kind of parents that name their daughters things like Emily (=stranger), Mary (=Bitter), Kelly (=Contentious), Andrea (=Manly. OK, that one's not bad. Just silly on a girl), or, for those that like the classics; Antigone (="Opposed to family").

Girls names are a minefield.

What does it say about a couple if they name their child Antigone?

Oedipus ahoy!

EDIT: oh oh oh! Oedipus Ahoy is my new suggestion for a good wizard name.

Wacky89
2015-02-20, 09:49 AM
best wizard name = Protrix

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-20, 12:48 PM
In the same vein...

Benedict Cumberbatch

I second the name Rinkydink Chowderpants.

Our wizard named himself my combining as many spell caster's names as he could. Thus: Elric Ganondordibblydalf.

Thurbane
2015-02-20, 04:12 PM
In the same vein...

Benedict Cumberbatch

I always wanted him to play Lion-O in a live action Thundercats movie...

"Cumber,
Cumber,
CUMBERBATCH!"

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-20, 05:24 PM
I always wanted him to play Lion-O in a live action Thundercats movie...

"Cumber,
Cumber,
CUMBERBATCH!"

I lol'd.

I think Benedict Cumberbatch would actually make a pretty good Cheetara.

kwah
2015-02-20, 08:08 PM
wizerd dan the magic man. master of the arcaine, ladys hearts, and monkeys.:smallbiggrin:

Afgncaap5
2015-02-20, 09:50 PM
Come up with a habit for the wizard. Now look up an 1800s brand name for it. See if there's inspiration there.

I got the idea from a player of mine who played a wizard who smoked a lot, named Charles Cavendish, after a certain brand of tobacco.

OttoVonBigby
2015-02-21, 06:52 AM
Come up with a habit for the wizard. Now look up an 1800s brand name for it.
What is your source for 1800s brand names? That sounds like a GREAT resource for character names, not only for wizards.

Anyway, my preference for a wizard character is something that sounds like it might come in front of the name of a spell that said wizard might develop late in his career. Which is to say, polysyllabic and loaded with chewy consonants. One way to get those is the portmanteau method (mentioned above). I often look at Wikipedia categories that give me a sound or feel I'm looking for, e.g. Category:Rivers of Lancashire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Rivers_of_Lancashire), then take chunks of two or more and combine them.

Tindragon
2015-02-21, 04:10 PM
Hello people of the internet! I made a wizard/bard for a new campaign, he is slightly crazy and will occasional do stuff completely random. I was wondering if anyone had names for a crazy wizard If so please comment.

Bill
Bo
Bag In S'narl

Any of those would be a
a crazy wizard

Or, Binsoludares 'ir Milnutor d' estaboor the Mad the XXVII, esquire.

then there's always

Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkle Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs. But he's not anyone important.