PDA

View Full Version : Voltaire/Thoushaltnot/Decemberists

zeratul
2007-04-06, 09:42 PM
I decided to form a new fan thread for these three bands. If your not a fan yet then let me introduce you to them. Voltaire is a comedic goth singer, who frequently works with the sci fie chanel. Thoushaltnot is a newage/indie band who invented the song "If I only were a goth" which is frequently used on youtube. Lastly the decemberists are an indie/folk band who have recently grown in popularity, and have been interveiwed several times on NPR.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-07, 04:10 AM
I prefer Dead Can Dance to all of them: this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QJhVM930YXY) is one of the reasons why.

Om
2007-04-07, 05:43 AM
Is it just me or do these band names reek of pretentiousness? You can tell a lot about a band from its name.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-07, 05:49 AM
Aye. But Dead Can Dance are one of the most beautiful bands I have ever heard, so it don't matter.

Dhavaer
2007-04-07, 06:14 AM
I like Voltaire's Almost Human.

zeratul
2007-04-07, 10:39 AM
Is it just me or do these band names reek of pretentiousness? You can tell a lot about a band from its name.

Actually no, you cant usually. Voltaire took the name because he thought it sounded like a cool stage name I'm pretty sure. I don't know how thoushaltnot got theirs. The decemberists knew about the decemberists when they took the name. To use an old cliche, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Amotis
2007-04-07, 01:28 PM

Haha...truth man truth. :smallbiggrin:

But I think that image is part of the overall image as well. So if you can get past the names that don't mean much but try to, it only adds to their overall (sometimes silly) band image and mood.

zeratul
2007-04-07, 02:39 PM
Well the decemberist's have been (against their will) labeled as pretentious prog rock. If you actually listen to them their music is fantastic, although you have to know a fair amount of odd vocabulary to understand alot of it.

Voltaire isn't well known enough to have labels thrust apon him. His music is still quite funny, and verry good though.

Thoushaltnot is different from both, but once again has a tendancy to use odd language, and imagery.

Om
2007-04-07, 03:52 PM
Voltaire took the name because he thought it sounded like a cool stage name I'm pretty sure.I'm fairly sure that he didn't happen to just dream up a name that coincidentally happened to be shared by a famous French philosopher :smallwink:

Just to make clear, I'm not commenting on the quality of the music. Indeed some bands positively thrive on pretentiousness.

zeratul
2007-04-07, 03:54 PM
I'm fairly sure that he didn't happen to just dream up a name that coincidentally happened to be shared by a famous French philosopher :smallwink:

Just to make clear, I'm not commenting on the quality of the music. Indeed some bands positively thrive on pretentiousness.

Im saying he knew about the philosopher but thats not why he chose it.

RoboticSheeple
2007-04-07, 08:58 PM
The Decembrists should work with Death Cab for Cutie and Modest Mouse to release a full CD albout being a sailor...

Sneak
2007-04-07, 09:47 PM
Never heard of the others, but I like the Decemberists. Maybe their name does sound pretentious, but honestly, I listen to music for the music. I could care less what the name of the band is, as long as it's not too hard to remember or contains over seven vowels and less than two consonants.

zeratul
2007-04-07, 09:56 PM
The Decembrists should work with Death Cab for Cutie and Modest Mouse to release a full CD albout being a sailor...

That would rock. Death cab is awsome, don't know much about modest mouse though.

FdL
2007-04-07, 11:08 PM
The Decemberists are the good stuff here. You can't go wrong with them. They're not as pretentious as they make them to be. And they actually make song oriented music, quite poppy stuff. It's not like they are artsy. They're just cultured, which is not a bad thing in my book, and quite rare in the "rock" world (at least those who let it show).

Everybody do their homework and listen to their first album "Castaways and Cutouts". You'll thank me for it.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-07, 11:12 PM
jesu is always a good listen, even if Justin Broadwick is a bit of a nutjob.

Amotis
2007-04-08, 12:35 AM

Nah, theirs would be filled with poppy anthems about love and some small thing, like a rock kissing the ground with bugs watching on, and how they broke up because of drugs and sex (seriously, I think modest mouse and death cab in the same room would explode. Or Brock would just kick Ben's ass. I would pay to see that.) It's Will Oldham, Jason Molina, and Alasdair Roberts making an album about sailors. Oh wait! :smallamused:

Penguinsushi
2007-04-09, 09:03 PM
I am a huge Decemberists fan - I actually just got to see them in Knoxville, TN last wednesday. Awesome show - particularly the encore (The Mariner's Revenge).

Thanks for giving me the tip to check out the others - they sound interesting. I'm always looking out for new bands.

~PS

zeratul
2007-04-09, 09:05 PM
I am a huge Decemberists fan - I actually just got to see them in Knoxville, TN last wednesday. Awesome show - particularly the encore (The Mariner's Revenge).

Thanks for giving me the tip to check out the others - they sound interesting. I'm always looking out for new bands.

~PS

My brother was at one of their concerts recently! He said if I had been there when they did "shangkill butchers" I would have gone insane.