PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Crew

Trasilor
2015-02-18, 05:04 PM
Hi play-grounders. Looking for some suggestions for pirate NPCs for a group of 7 4/5th level characters. Optimization is fairly low.

I figure most of the mooks to be level 1 or 2 warriors. Not sure of an appropriate class for the captain, first mate, etc.

Suteinu
2015-02-18, 05:08 PM
What's your setting? Supplements?

INoKnowNames
2015-02-18, 06:58 PM
Well, just out of core; any crew that doesn't have a Cleric or Adept praying to whatever Ocean God your campaign setting has is just asking to get ship-wrecked. Poseidon was a jerk.

Also, the seas are cold, and lonely, and boring outside of almost dying in adventures (another good reason for a Cleric). A Bard can be worth his/her weight in salt keeping everyone motivated; an Expert less so but still capable, I suppose.

The Captain should be able to fight better than any person on his crew, and should be quick as a whip. Maybe one over the other, depending on your characterization of him. I like the idea of a rather skillful pirate being a whip-hashling Rogue, but that's probably because I'm still coming to terms with my attraction to Captain Jack Sparrow. If you can get him to have a high enough int and to be able to invest in cross class skills, a Fighter may also work.

If you rely on the Captain to be the one to jump from ship to ship first, cutlas in teeth while still yelling Yar, then he should have a skillful first mate; Expert if just skills, and Rogue if you need a bit more. Likewise, a stronger Warrior or Fighter should your Captain be the brains of the outfit, so that his first mate can be the brawn.

Out of core, prestige classes can help expand and upgrade these options; Swashbuckler and Factotum comes to mind for a good cross between knowledge and skill, as does Warblade and Swordsage if so inclined depending on what flavor, for the sake of your Captain and maybe your crew. Shouldn't be too hard to dive for some ocean based prestige classes to pimp these builds out a bit.

Honestly, I feel like while having a Wizard or equivalent is just about an unspoken for any group that wants to survive in D&D, I question a Pirate Ship having a Wizard. Thematically, they both taste good, but don't seem like they taste well together. Like Cotton Candy and Fried Chicken. .... could that possibly be combined?

Trasilor
2015-02-19, 09:20 AM
What's your setting? Supplements?

Homebrew setting..

Any supplement. I am the DM.

Well, just out of core; any crew that doesn't have a Cleric or Adept praying to whatever Ocean God your campaign setting has is just asking to get ship-wrecked. Poseidon was a jerk.

Also, the seas are cold, and lonely, and boring outside of almost dying in adventures (another good reason for a Cleric). A Bard can be worth his/her weight in salt keeping everyone motivated; an Expert less so but still capable, I suppose.

The Captain should be able to fight better than any person on his crew, and should be quick as a whip. Maybe one over the other, depending on your characterization of him. I like the idea of a rather skillful pirate being a whip-hashling Rogue, but that's probably because I'm still coming to terms with my attraction to Captain Jack Sparrow. If you can get him to have a high enough int and to be able to invest in cross class skills, a Fighter may also work.

If you rely on the Captain to be the one to jump from ship to ship first, cutlas in teeth while still yelling Yar, then he should have a skillful first mate; Expert if just skills, and Rogue if you need a bit more. Likewise, a stronger Warrior or Fighter should your Captain be the brains of the outfit, so that his first mate can be the brawn.

Out of core, prestige classes can help expand and upgrade these options; Swashbuckler and Factotum comes to mind for a good cross between knowledge and skill, as does Warblade and Swordsage if so inclined depending on what flavor, for the sake of your Captain and maybe your crew. Shouldn't be too hard to dive for some ocean based prestige classes to pimp these builds out a bit.

Honestly, I feel like while having a Wizard or equivalent is just about an unspoken for any group that wants to survive in D&D, I question a Pirate Ship having a Wizard. Thematically, they both taste good, but don't seem like they taste well together. Like Cotton Candy and Fried Chicken. .... could that possibly be combined?

I agree with your thinking regarding the wizard - if any arcane caster is to be on board, probably a war-mage or warlock.

These would be low level Pirates, captain would be at most level 6 (more likely level 5). Captain would definitely be the brain while the first mate would be the brawn. I am liking the idea of the captain is a factotum - gives him lots of options.

Thanks for the ideas.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-19, 10:53 AM
Expert (Pirate) works. Choose your 10 class skills as Balance, Climb, Intimidate, Listen, Spot, Profession, Perform, Survival, Swim, and Use Rope. Level 2 wouldn't hurt.

For a first mate Barbarian or Paladin works.

A captain that was Ranger 3/Fighter 1 heading into Horizon Walker wouldn't be that out of the ordinary.

atemu1234
2015-02-19, 11:16 AM
Well, I'd recommend a single fifth-level Cleric with a crew of skeletons.

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-19, 11:51 AM
Any supplement. I am the DM.
Stormwrack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormwrack) has a lot of really cool things. You could throw in a couple of NPCs with the prestige classes for flavor.

Trasilor
2015-02-19, 11:54 AM
Well, I'd recommend a single fifth-level Cleric with a crew of skeletons.

Alas they already fought the Cleric on a ship with undead thing :smallamused:. Just trying to change it up - was having some writers (DM?) block.

yellowrocket
2015-02-19, 01:24 PM
Previous statement retracted

Trasilor
2015-02-19, 02:42 PM
What about a druid? Marine life can do a lot for you when you live on the seas. Still would have some magic.

A Druid Pirate? Mechanically it works OK, but it would completely change the dynamic of the 'pirate'. Pirate is all about about robbing on the open seas. Why would a druid want to rob merchant ships on the open water?

Given the optimization level of the party (low), I don't think a full caster is required. Will check out Stormwrack for ideas.

Coidzor
2015-02-19, 02:52 PM
Hi play-grounders. Looking for some suggestions for pirate NPCs for a group of 7 4/5th level characters. Optimization is fairly low.

I figure most of the mooks to be level 1 or 2 warriors. Not sure of an appropriate class for the captain, first mate, etc.

Is this a crew of pirates that they're going to kill? Take over? Hire or otherwise gain command of without supplanting the cap'n?

What's your problem with rogue ships mages? :smallconfused:

Also, you don't use wizards to establish the ship's supply of fried chicken, that's what the Commoner 1/Expert (Ship's Cook) 1 is for. :smallamused:

atemu1234
2015-02-19, 02:59 PM
What about a druid? Marine life can do a lot for you when you live on the seas. Still would have some magic.

At fifth level, what would a druid do?

Beware my pet Dire Otter! Fear his fluffiness! Fear it!

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-19, 06:08 PM
Will check out Stormwrack for ideas.
Do it. It was made for this, literally. It also has Scarlet Corsaire. Which makes me smile.

Hiro Quester
2015-02-19, 06:42 PM
Also in Stormwrack: Legendary Captain. Great for a NPC pirate captain.

Swashbuckler is also worth trying. One of the complete books as I recall.

Deadline
2015-02-19, 06:56 PM
A Druid Pirate? Mechanically it works OK, but it would completely change the dynamic of the 'pirate'. Pirate is all about about robbing on the open seas. Why would a druid want to rob merchant ships on the open water?

Chaotic Neutral is a perfectly acceptable alignment for a pirate AND a druid. And it would be ridiculously easy to claim that Davey Jones from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies was a Druid.

Let's run down the list of piratey things that are easily druid things as well:

A fondness for scimitars (cutlasses). - CHECK
A critter companion like a parrot or monkey. - CHECK
A deep respect and reverence for their natural surroundings ("Yar, me first love is the sea!") - CHECK
Robs merchant ships on the high seas ("The strong be preyin' on the weak, heave to and prepare to be boarded!") - CHECK

Get out of that old rut where you keep thinking that every druid is a nature loving, tree-hugging hippie. Druid Pirates are awesome. :smallbiggrin:

At fifth level, what would a druid do?

Beware my pet Dire Otter! Fear his fluffiness! Fear it!

Considering the Druid animal companion could potentially be a fearsome combatant in its own right, yer darn right you should fear it.

Also, "fluffy" says hi:
http://globe-views.com/dcim/dreams/shark/shark-03.jpg
Yeah, the companion could be a shark.

Doctor Awkward
2015-02-19, 07:58 PM
Here's an oldie created by the incalculable Solo, and most of the description was written by him, reproduced here for your convenience:

Behold, "Black" Jack Wellesley, the Dread Pirate King.
Human, 32 point buy, Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 16, put all stat bumps into Charisma

Level
Class
Feats
Class Features

1st
Bard 1
Melodic Casting, Extra Music
Bardic Music, Bardic Knack (replace Bardic Knowledge), fascinate, Mimicking Song (replace countersong), Inspire Courage

2nd
Bard 2
-
-

3rd
Bard 3
Song of the Heart
-

4th
Marshal 1
-
Motivate Dexterity

5th
Bard 4
-
-

6th
Bard 5
Imperious Command
-

7th
Bard 6
-
-

8th
Bard 7
-
-

9th
Bard 8
Snowflake Wardance
-

10th
Bard 9
-
-

11th
Dread Pirate 1
-
-

12th
Dread Pirate 2
Combat Panache
-

13th
Dread Pirate 3
-
-

14th
Dread Pirate 4
-
-

15th
Dread Pirate 5
?
-

16th
Dread Pirate 6
-
-

17th
Dread Pirate 7
-
-

18th
Dread Pirate 8
?
-

19th
Dread Pirate 9
-
-

20th
Dread Pirate 10
-
-

For skills focus on meeting prerequisites, and then Bluff, Diplomacy, and any other Charisma skill, plus at least ten or more ranks in Perform (dance) for Snowflake Wardance. For skill tricks try to pick up Never Outnumbered, Nimble Stand, and Twisted Charge.

The one level of marshal allows him to add his Charisma bonus to all of his crew's Dexterity checks, which includes initiative. Rounding out the build with 10 levels of Dread Pirate (following the honorable path) allows him to add some pretty nifty bonuses to him and his crew when he uses Inspire Courage, such as temporary hit points, a dodge bonus equal to his Charisma modifier, and the Diehard feat. It also allows you to Take Ten on certain skills, like Tumble. Combined with the Marshal aura this can get him a check of 51 at level 20 without rolling, which is enough to tumble up a vertical surface (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#climbVerticalSurface). True, the wizard can simply cast fly, but that's not as stylish as breakdancing your way up the castle wall.

Imperious Command allows him to severely demoralize enemies with Intimidate, Snowflake Wardance allows him to fight using his Charisma modifier (thus making him more single attribute dependent), and Combat Panache gives several neat tactical maneuvers for a Charisma based swashbuckler.

The bard ACF Mimicking Song (from Dungeonscape) replaces Countersong and grants him and his allies a +4 bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks, which stacks with Motivate Dexterity, allowing Jack and his crew to sneak around with catlike tread. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdJg6Duzzf4)

Other songs to sing while inspiring his crew include:

The Pirates of Penzance - The Pirate King Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ7SVMVrick)
HMS Pinafore - A British Tar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNcCMcxpF9E)
Captain Tractor - The Last Saskatchewan Pirate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_L9tXEwmc)
Folly Bridge - General Taylor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pia0mc3cjpc)
Muppets Treasure Island - Shiver My Timbers (http://youtu.be/LX9VxBwvFFo?t=1m7s)

Thurbane
2015-02-20, 08:00 PM
Hadozee Factotum - brings a whole new level to Skillmonkey. :smalltongue:

http://i62.tinypic.com/oivrwo.jpg